PDA

View Full Version : Kid projects?

Michael J Evans
12-09-2020, 2:14 AM
My 6 & 9 year old boys sometimes express a little interest in building something. I haven't fostered it well, because well 1) When I'm in the shop its hard to stop and switch gears and two, I really don't have any super easy projects for them to make on the spot. My 6 year old doesn't have the strength to do much of anything, Whereas my 9 year old, can handle a small panel saw. We've made some basic stuff like nailed boxes and pre fabbed projects Home depot and Lowes gives out (everything is already cut and drilled, you just bang in the nails).

I recently made my boys some toy swords and had a extra one that was missing the hilt, my 9 year old came in this weekend and asked to build something. When I asked what he wanted to make he said he didn't know, but seen the sword unfinished sword on the ground and asked if we could finish it. So we laid out the hilt, I made some quick cuts and then I had him lay out the mortise ( I held the square ) and then he operated the hammer while I held the chisel. Long of the short he seemed semi interested in the process and was thrilled when the hilt fit good. I could tell he was genuinely happy with it.

While in class the other day, they had to share something. He didn't know what, so his Mom suggested the sword. He shared it any got some serious praise from his teacher and classmates and called on my lunch break to tell me all about it. When I got home he was talking about trying to make other stuff, but still is unsure of what. He mentioned maybe some shelves.

I want to foster this interest. But can't think of much that he could do or would have the patience for without losing interest. Am I best off just pre cutting everything and then having them nail, glue / screw stuff together, or just having trying to have them help on my projects? My other thinking is to give them a small tool kit, some scraps and nails and let them have at it?

Have any of you successfully kept your young children interested?

Jim Koepke
12-09-2020, 2:46 AM
Have any of you successfully kept your young children interested?

My grandson has picked up some interest. He started out in his younger years and has done a little on the lathe.

He was up last summer and at 17 he helped me build two porches and he even did a cut or two on the stair stringers we made.

He was sent home with the pieces to put together a tool tote and tools to fill it. He has done a few things on his own.

A few years ago we worked on building some shelves for an alcove at the end of the hallway. The space is about three feet by one foot deep. All the dados were stopped and cut by hand using various techniques. We then picked the one that was fastest to cut all the remaining dados. we removed the molding around the doors on both sides. The sides of the shelves were set at the opening of the alcove and the shelves were put in a little bit from the back. We used a mallet and strips of flat scrap to drive the sides toward the back. It will be difficult to get the shelves out, but that won't be my problem.

When the kids were real young we built toy airplanes out of scrap wood. Young kids have a great time with those.

Toy vehicles are fun. Wheels can be made of dowels. A hole saw can also make decent wheels. A forstner bit can add dimensional effects. If you have a lathe even fancier wheels can be made.

jtk

Mel Fulks
12-09-2020, 4:36 AM
Kids like to use egg-beater drills, I would load it with one 1/8th drill bit. They like to use a small draw knife, and two-hand
tools are pretty safe...for the user...if they wear shoes! Aluminum cans are easily cut with scissors and make good wood car trim and hub caps. They love nuts and bolts. They seem to prefer just seeing stuff reduced to small pieces,over really doing a project, but will soon
figure out that it's easier to destroy stuff with tools ,than trying to do it by hand ! I think their favorate stuff to make is
anything that Mom and Dad will USE to improve their children's lives !

chris carter
12-09-2020, 8:57 AM
We did 1st and 2nd grade cub scout pine wood derby cars together. He was able to do some saw cuts if I held his hand and helped guide/push. Or sometimes I would do most of the cut and let him finish it off. He was actually REALLY good with the spoke shave doing the curves. If you let them do the design, it gets them more excited. We’ve done a couple small other things like a purple heart dog tag for the 1st grade class stuffed dog. I cut it out and he refined it with the spoke shave and he drilled the hole with the egg beater (I held it straight and let him turn the handle), and let him do the BLO finish. That year he also made a little Mommy award plaque. Just a half inch thick rectangle of pine with a smaller ¼” thick one glued on top. He shot the edges with a block plane on a shooting board and did some chamfers (he actually did the chamfers without much help, which was surprising!). And then he decorated a piece of paper and we glued that on top of the whole thing, drilled a hole with the egg beater to hang it on the wall. Mommy loved it of course!

The key, at least with my son, was to make sure he had a stable platform to stand on and that it’s carefully placed so he can stand in a proper position for the action he’s taking. Nudging the step stool just two inches would make a massive difference. And if something proved too hard, step in and do it for him (or 99% of it) so he can move on quickly to something he could do.

Matthew Hills
12-09-2020, 9:53 AM
some projects we did in cub scouts:
- bird house
- marshmallow catapult
- trivet (the scouts especially enjoyed the grout)
- spider prank box
- pinewood derby cars
- model rockets

At home, we've also made:
- stilts
- candy-dispensing face (similar to skull&bones candy dispenser on woodworking for mere mortals)
- dog house
- chicken coop

Some places to look for ideas:
- maplewoodshop
- woodworking for mere mortals
- Doug Stowe's blog

Andrew Seemann
12-09-2020, 12:31 PM
Things to remember for kids that age are: they don't have the attention span of an adult or teen; perfectionism kills a little kid's interest fast; and they don't have the strength or coordination that teens or adults have. Complicated and/or long drawn out projects often cause them to lose interest. Sometimes just giving them a soft piece of pine to pound nails into or drill holes in is just the thing, and it helps build up that strength and coordination and skill level. Nailing together pieces of wood that you cut out is fun for them; they feel like you did a project together.

Mel Fulks
12-09-2020, 5:18 PM
You can cut aluminum cans with dollar store scissors to make shiny sheet metal. Much safer and rust resistant than the
old steel cans. I just now made a nice toy car hub cap ...easily taped to a drawing ,or a model. It's a "baby moon" with
good dishing accomplished by a styrofoam anvil and thumb pressure.

Ben Ellenberger
12-09-2020, 6:39 PM
Thanks for this thread! I have 2 nieces, 3 and 6. I’m thinking about doing pinewood derby-type cars with them at Christmas. I was thinking I could cut some blocks into rough car shapes, then do shaping with them. It seems like spokeshave, sandpaper glued to wood, and maybe rasps would be safe and fun for them. I’d have the blocks pre-drilled for the wheels. We could screw the wheels on together and make a big mess painting.

that seems like about the right level for them now. If nothing else the three year old would have fun with paint.

Stew Denton
12-09-2020, 10:02 PM
Michael,

An excellent book in this regard is: "Woodshop for Kids," by Jack Mckee. There are a few copies on that auction site for prices running from about $7 to a bit less than $30. If you type in the book name alone a few show up, as do other books of a similar type.

McKee taught classes in grade school for kids on this subject, and had a lot of experience with it. He wrote up a lot of projects that worked well with kids in his experience.

Stew

Michael J Evans
12-10-2020, 12:45 AM
Kids like to use egg-beater drills, I would load it with one 1/8th drill bit. They like to use a small draw knife, and two-hand
tools are pretty safe...for the user...if they wear shoes!

They seem to prefer just seeing stuff reduced to small pieces,over really doing a project !

I agree I did give me 6 year old the egg beater once and he mustve drilled 20 holes in a row. I did not think of a draw knife, but I could see them liking that as well, Thanks!

Michael J Evans
12-10-2020, 12:48 AM
The key, at least with my son, was to make sure he had a stable platform to stand on and that it’s carefully placed so he can stand in a proper position for the action he’s taking. Nudging the step stool just two inches would make a massive difference. And if something proved too hard, step in and do it for him (or 99% of it) so he can move on quickly to something he could do.

The height thing has also been problematic. I've been using various items handy as their stool. But recently just let them stand on my antique tool chest I picked up, it works good for my older boy, but still a little short for the younger one. Maybe a small workbench is in the future. Speaking of work benches, I think a little vise might make their lives easier when they do want to do something. I have a old wilton that has sat under my bench since I built it.

Michael J Evans
12-10-2020, 12:50 AM
Things to remember for kids that age are: they don't have the attention span of an adult or teen; perfectionism kills a little kid's interest fast; and they don't have the strength or coordination that teens or adults have. Complicated and/or long drawn out projects often cause them to lose interest. Sometimes just giving them a soft piece of pine to pound nails into or drill holes in is just the thing, and it helps build up that strength and coordination and skill level. Nailing together pieces of wood that you cut out is fun for them; they feel like you did a project together.

Andrew,
That is my fear and what I'm trying to figure out, don't want to scare them away this young lol.

Michael J Evans
12-10-2020, 12:52 AM
Michael,

An excellent book in this regard is: "Woodshop for Kids," by Jack Mckee. There are a few copies on that auction site for prices running from about $7 to a bit less than $30. If you type in the book name alone a few show up, as do other books of a similar type.

McKee taught classes in grade school for kids on this subject, and had a lot of experience with it. He wrote up a lot of projects that worked well with kids in his experience.

Stew

Stew
I will definitely check that book out. Nothing better than hands on experience from someone who did it.

Michael J Evans
12-10-2020, 12:57 AM
Thanks for all the opinions so far.

I'm thinking a small work bench might be in order. Nothing fancy just some scrap 2x4's and plywood, add a small vise and a little tool kit that is "theirs". Maybe a small hammer, block plane, draw knife, spoke shave, egg beater and a bucket full of various sized nails.

Just let them have their own space and when they want to come in they can.

Jim Koepke
12-10-2020, 1:56 PM
Be very careful when allowing children to use sharp tools like chisels, planes, spokeshaves and draw knives. Especially little boys want to touch an edge to see how sharp it is.

jtk

Andrew Seemann
12-10-2020, 2:24 PM
Be very careful when allowing children to use sharp tools like chisels, planes, spokeshaves and draw knives. Especially little boys want to touch an edge to see how sharp it is.

jtk

I've found this to be a problem with little boys all the way into their 70s :)

Mark Rainey
12-10-2020, 2:27 PM
I recommend the book "woodworking for kids" by Kevin McGuire - I think he has an "All new woodworking for kids" book out. I used it for my kids 20 years ago and it has great, safe projects using hand tools. We built a bench hook, miter box and tool box. He also has easy plans for a smaller workbench and we made 2. We enjoyed the experience and time together. Neither boys ( adults ) at this time do woodworking, but once again, it was a fun experience. As a scout leader, I got involved in the pinewood derby and tried to get the boys to work together on their cars with hand tools. Unfortunately several fathers were just interested in winning the race and the atmosphere of fierce competition obliterated any cooperation.

Michael J Evans
12-10-2020, 4:11 PM

Andrew this gave me a good laugh, thanks.
In the last week, I've managed to slice every finger and thumb on my left hand.

Jim Koepke
12-10-2020, 5:25 PM

Us little boys in our 70s are more experienced and less likely to cut ourselves. :D

Andrew this gave me a good laugh, thanks.
In the last week, I've managed to slice every finger and thumb on my left hand.

Every thumb? How many do you have on your left hand? :eek:

jtk

Stew Denton
12-10-2020, 8:52 PM
Jim,

I am not in my 70s yet, and won't be for a long time (a bit less than 3 months actually.) However, I do appreciate the warning of what can happen when I get into my 70s in a few months. This because I have cut myself too many times in my 60s, so I will have to be very very careful beginning in a short time!

Stew

Mike Allen1010
12-10-2020, 10:01 PM
A simple pine box with nail rabbit joint is quick and easy enough to hold their attention and they get to use lay out tools, planes and saws. Let them do it all. Doesn't matter how it turns out, it's the build experience that is fun.

Jim Koepke
12-12-2020, 12:58 AM
A simple pine box with nail rabbit joint is quick and easy enough to hold their attention and they get to use lay out tools, planes and saws. Let them do it all. Doesn't matter how it turns out, it's the build experience that is fun.

Put tall ends on a long box, add a dowel thrhough the ends an you have a tote that can be used for a lot of things.

jtk

Michael J Evans
12-12-2020, 1:11 AM
Put tall ends on a long box, add a dowel thrhough the ends an you have a tote that can be used for a lot of things.

jtk

Good point and they would likely like that.

I may make up another sword blank and see if they would like to help. I'm thinking I could let them operate the spoke shave for beveling the sides to the swords edge. The boys love the swords and we could draw a new design together, maybe a curved sword.

Robert Hartmann
12-12-2020, 12:53 PM
(sorry for the long post, just retired from the Air Force, in a temp house and haven't started my new job...I'm bored). My two little ones are 8 (daughter) and 10 (son). They both started in my shop when they were 4 and 6. Attached are a couple pics when they first started while I was stationed in the Netherlands (apparently I'm always "overdressed" for the shop). I enjoy restoring hand drills/braces, so I did one of each for them. They started out drilling holes in every scrap I had. I wanted to promote their interest so I let them start using other tools to include my LN saws (with close supervision). I bought them a pair of Veritas saws (dovetail and crosscut) since they have smaller handles. I eventually made them a small workbench. They now have their own tools, which they think is cool. I always take the time to teach them safety, proper mechanics and how to take care of them.

They have progressed enough to start building things on their own. My son completed a display case for his Cub Scout awards with minimal help from me. My daughter mostly likes sawing and making little "things" that usually aren't very recognizable. She recently started using a coping saw and enjoys making figures and other designs. I've started letting my son use chisels, but since I'm not comfortable it usually means I'm just standing there watching him. I really want to keep their interest, so I'm always looking for projects or ways to include them in mine. Our most recent was building a bat box for a scouting project. Not exactly precision work, but we tried to use as many tools as possible.

What I've found is that the projects aren't really that important. Giving them their own space (workbench), tools and access has kept their interest. My daughter seems to enjoy it the most and will always join me. She's also the most creative and comes up with her own projects. I think as with most things, if they enjoy it they will stay interested. It's up to me to give them the opportunity and encouragement.

446904 446905 446906

Matthew Hills
12-12-2020, 7:48 PM
I like the clear spring school workbench for kids: http://www.dougstowe.com/educator_resources/94sloyd.pdf

For cub scouts, I liked torx-head screws for being relatively frustration-free.

Matt

Melvin Feng
12-15-2020, 11:09 AM
I have a 9 year old daughter, and almost 5 year old son. My daughter I started on the lathe after she was 5, but didn't show much interest in returning for over a year. Once she got started (and I had a better lathe), she is now making pens fairly easily on the lathe (I have a Laguna 12/16 if it makes any difference - the smaller lathe is definitely easier for her to use, though I do want something larger for myself). I started her with only carbide tipped tools to keep it simple, but this year I started her on a couple traditional tools, a spindle roughing gouge and a negative rake scraper.

My son has really taken a liking to hand planes. I recently bought a bunch of hand planes to personally learn how to use, and he enjoys using the #3, a #3 converted to scrub plane, and the block plane, which are about right for his size. I let him go to my lumber pile and pick whatever piece he wants to hand plane on, and he just goes to town. He also likes using the sanding block and sanding strips. He isn't really at the point of building a project, but he definitely enjoys being down there with me, and often asks to go down to do some hand planing.

My personal philosophy is to let the kids take the initiative as much as possible. I will introduce them to tools as I feel they are capable of being safe, and I discuss the myriads of ways they can get hurt and how to safely use the tools, and I gradually let them do more and more. I also bought them both half mask respirators like mine so that they can be down there even while I am sanding. I also often make them small things which they seem to enjoy receiving - little pencil boxes with sliding lids, cups and bowls, and pens for my son since he is still too small to use the lathe.

I knew for my kids that if I try to force them to learn or make them come down to the garage with me, that they would not enjoy any woodworking and would resent being forced to learn a tool, and that would defeat the purpose. I will ask if they are interested in making something, or if they want me to make something for them though.

I also got into chainsaw milling, and my son likes to go out and watch me stack the slabs as well as reminds me to debark the slabs so that he can clean up the bark from the ground. He also likes to use the mallet to smash the bark into smaller pieces. My daughter asked to try to debark, and she was able to do a little bit, but definitely lacked the strength, but it was her first introduction to using a chisel and a hammer.

I personally try to get them into the zone of being able to use a tool that can only hurt them enough to learn from, if that makes sense. So when my daughter was learning to use the chisel and hammer, I told her before she started that she was most likely going to hit her hand with the hammer, and that it would hurt, but that it was good and that she would get better with practice - she did hit her hand, and she had a great attitude about it. She also sliced her finger on the carbide tip of the lathe tool one time and learned that they are sharp and to be more careful with it. My son double checked with me the proper direction to feel the blade of the plane since I made it clear that it was very sharp, and he can quickly see how easily it can remove wood.

I will say that you also have to be somewhat ok with the kids possibly destroying whatever tool you let them use. Yes, teach them how to use it properly and safely, but also be ok with mistakes and possibly needing to replace the tool. My son has dropped my each of the planes he has used on the concrete at least a couple times. I always ask if he's ok and to be careful, and remind him to be nice to the tools - I would be sad to replace the tools, but ultimately I am ok with it. I let my daughter use my japanese pull saws when cutting her pen blanks to length - a number of times she would hit the teeth on the bench or the vise after cutting through, and I've had to replace the blades a couple times, but I think that is a reasonable cost for her learning process and having her down there with me (though I do remind her to be careful!).

If your kids are interested in rockets, you could also try model rockets and have fun launching them!

Richard Verwoest
12-15-2020, 5:20 PM
Treasure box for their favorite items, Bat/bird house, nesting boxes for birds can be donated to wildlife sanctuaries, squiral feeders, Tool tote is a great one. I still have mine I made as a boy scout.

Richard

Steve Hubbard
12-16-2020, 9:04 PM
Doug Stowe, in one of his books or lectures, shows pics of pivot lid boxes. I helped my 6 1/2 year old grandson build one for his dad and one for his mother.

The boards were planed to thickness, cut to width, and grooved for the bottom before he arrived. A miter box was built to accommodate the thin blade of a Japanese pull saw, and stop blocks were used so he could more accurately cut everything to length. The bandsaw marks were left on the outside surface to cover errant hammer blows and any imperfections in finish. He drilled pilot holes for the nails in the 1/4 inch sides with an egg beater drill, and planed the edge of the bottom to proper width with a #2 plane. Black 16 ga x 1 inch nails were used to enhance the rustic appearance. The ends of the 3/16 inch dowels used for the pivot pins were colored with a felt tip pen. He finished the boxes with General Finishes High Performance, using a foam brush.

Before this project, his favorite woodworking activity was driving nails. Now his favorite activity is drilling holes with an egg beater drill. He thinks sawing is a lot of work.

Andrew Pitonyak
12-17-2020, 10:48 AM
I purchased a bad axe hand saw for kids so that it would fit their hands. My oldest did not need it because her hands were large enough to use a regular saw and then my youngest just did not care so it is mostly unused. The young son of a friend had a GREAT time just cutting some straight lines and pounding in nails. I started the cuts for him since it can jump while starting.

I am making some toothpick boxes. I am doing this using hand cut dovetails, but, these could as easily be done with mitered sides and simply gluing them together. I think I even made a few like that but last time I made them, people just wanted them so I am left with only one of my originals and that one is also dovetailed.

Wayne Cannon
12-18-2020, 9:31 AM
Thanks. I've needed this thread for a couple of years. My 8 year old granddaughter wants to do something "in the shop" every time she comes over, and I've been short on ideas.

She started out from coloring (just add "coloring page" to any Web search. E.g. "Bambi coloring page"), to cutting them out on paper, then spray adhesive to thin cardboard, then to wood cut out on a scroll saw, and she was hooked. They are standing on shelves and hanging on walls all over her room. Next it was picture frames and scenic dioramas (minimal woodworking, but lots of plaster and painting -- a new craft for me, as I told her), and a bird feeder. She come up with the ideas and I try to adapt.

I was afraid for her to try the lathe, but you have encouraged me.

Major learnings for her: "patience" (some projects take more than one afternoon) & that "booboos can be fixed" (but to avoid permanent injuries).

I try to incorporate new skills each project, and to alleviate fears, and tell her so.

Andrew Pitonyak
12-18-2020, 2:30 PM
years ago I purchased the book "The Kids Building Workshop" and then I never did anything with it. It does have some ideas that might be of interest. Just something to think about. Even if you just get something like it from the library.

I really should get rid of the book. Yeah, jumping over to the get rid of stuff forum we have.

George Yetka
12-18-2020, 2:58 PM
trebuchet would be my first thought

Second design and build pinewoodderby cars(that was always fun when I was a kid)

Michael J Evans
12-19-2020, 4:09 AM
trebuchet would be my first thought

Second design and build pinewoodderby cars(that was always fun when I was a kid)

George
Trebuchet was one my my first thoughts to, I really want to build one! Lol

Problem is I have no were to actually try it out.

Jim Koepke
12-19-2020, 10:57 AM
George
Trebuchet was one my my first thoughts to, I really want to build one! Lol

Problem is I have no were to actually try it out.

In an episode of Elementary Holmes used a small one in his sitting room & living room to determine how someone was killed by drug smuglers.

jtk

John Gornall
12-19-2020, 12:07 PM
I started the 3 grandkids on basic skills for strength and hand eye coordination. A box of 1 1/2" common nails and a hammer - five year old started laughing as she pounded - look Grandpa, All the way in with only 3 bangs! Then hand drills, bought them each old Stanley 100's with enclosed gears to avoid pinching. Hundreds of holes drilled. Then brace and bit. On to handsaws cutting 2 x 4's then cutting to a line in plywood. Now starting planes - built a platform to stand on - have a wonderful picture of a 7 year old in a pink dress leaning into a no. 3 with a little tongue out in concentration. Next will be tool totes with a small set of their own tools. Asked the girl her favorite tool - very wise - she said "the vise"