PDA

View Full Version : Bald Eagles

Dave Lehnert
12-08-2020, 9:36 PM
A guy on Facebook posted a photo of two bald eagles
Turns out it was taken at my place from the road.
Now to try and see them myself.
How cool is that?

Stan Calow
12-08-2020, 10:03 PM
Great photo. We just visited the Loess Bluff Nat'l Wildlife Refuge today. Its on the Missouri River north of St Joseph. We counted 30 eagles, but never got close enough for a good photo. They were watching over the multi-thousands of snow geese that are migrating through.

Peter Kelly
12-08-2020, 11:42 PM
I had one swoop over my car driving down the mountain here in the Catskills a while back. Amazing seeing one that close up.

Warren Lake
12-09-2020, 1:03 AM
years back at the Construct Canada show in Toronto walking down an isle the next booth had this guy sitting on the floor. I looked and had to decide at first if this was possible. I saw the rope attached to one leg and then there was some motion. Could have been closer but didnt want to take a chance in case he hadn't had breakfast that morning. I talked to the people and it was a baby rescued from a forest fire.

Who needs insert tooling when you come with a beak like this, no chip limiting either, work gets done fast.

Outside of the convention center got to talk to the lady for a bit.

What was wild was as she went up the escalator he started to have a bird. Im flying but im not flying??? started to flap his wings, wing span looked over four feet and powerful. She was a pro and had control but not easy, he chilled out. Eagle was the only one in the show not wearing a badge.

Only there one year. "Hi id like to get insurance, im taking a bird to the Construct show" "Okay has he killed anyone in the last six years?"

Each year in Toronto there are different birds at the Cottage Life Show but this was almost surreal.

Bald eagle with more feathers on his head than me.

Mel Fulks
12-09-2020, 3:31 AM
Ben Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national bird because eagles steal food from other birds. He admired the self
reliance of turkeys and , probably preferred the taste of eagles.

Lisa Starr
12-09-2020, 6:17 AM
We lived near a Bald Eagle nesting site at a previous home and often saw them flying over our fields hunting. They are amazingly large birds, even when you get used to seeing them. The various hawks that were a near constant presence, took a hiatus from hunting when the Eagles were flying.

Jim Matthews
12-09-2020, 6:53 AM
Anybody who has worked near the Alaskan inside passage may have a different view of the Bald Eagle.

They're more like flying Racoons.

Larry Frank
12-09-2020, 7:13 AM
I got to see one up close at the Orlando Audubon Birds of Prey. I got within three feet when held by a handler. They are big with scary beak and talons.

If you are ever in Orlando, this is a great place to visit.

Jerome Stanek
12-09-2020, 7:22 AM
We have a pair that nests near us at Chippewa lake OH every year we see the little ones sticking their heads over the nest

Rob Luter
12-09-2020, 7:51 AM
We have a local nesting pair with a nest cam that Notre Dame operates. Link below. I've been able to watch them raise several broods of chicks over the last few years. We're fortunate to have a number of Eagles in the area and see them rather frequently. When I was a kid they were like unicorns.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFMGtmqCPSbi6EZQufkPLeA

Mike Null
12-09-2020, 8:03 AM
There's a nesting site on the river about 30 miles from here. The TV stations give it good coverage and get some great shots.

I remember when bald eagles were on the endangered list and in serious trouble. Their comeback has been remarkable.

Tom M King
12-09-2020, 8:34 AM
We have nesting Bald Eagles on our place. I have a lot of Eagle stories. There are not a lot of them around here, but there are so many Ospreys that they're starting to become real nuisances.

Jim Becker
12-09-2020, 10:26 AM
That's really kewel, Dave! I hope you get to spot and observe them, too. The fact that there's a pair is a good thing.

The resurgence in the Bald Eagle population has been wonderful. They were on the brink, but have now recovered to the point that populations are expanding much farther than they were previously. It used to be an unusual or "never" thing to spot them in so many places and now it's becoming more and more commonplace, even away from larger bodies of water and rivers. They are just plain magnificent creatures!

michael langman
12-09-2020, 10:52 AM
I just finished listening to a book written by Jeff Guidry, called An Eagle Named Freedom.

Wonderful book that was really touching in alot of ways.

Ronald Blue
12-09-2020, 1:09 PM
We see eagles frequently here. Being only a few mile from The Mississippi river and a common "open water" winter spot they are quite abundant. While they are majestic they are a scavenger as well. I've encountered them on road kill from time to time. They eat where and when they can. It is cool to watch them swoop down on the open water and snag a fish out of the river though.

Steve Demuth
12-09-2020, 1:29 PM
These ones (https://explore.org/livecams/bald-eagles/decorah-eagles) live just up the road from us.

We see bald eagles not uncommonly around here, mostly working over carrion along the road or in a field, or of course, just soaring over head.

Big change from back in the 1970s:

https://www.eagles.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Eagle-Graph-CS.jpg

Scott Winners
12-09-2020, 2:11 PM
They are relatively common up here. My best story was in my boat, the wife and I had just exited the Goodpaster River onto the Tanana, headed home.

A bald eagle glided over from several hundred yards away and started circling the boat. Then I noticed he was circling my wife in the boat on specific. Ducked under a tree hanging out over the water and waited a few minutes for him to get bored and hunt elsewhere.

Andrew Seemann
12-09-2020, 2:21 PM
I just saw one out the window before I saw this thread. We are near a lake where some of the marinas keep open water near their docks (so they don't get smashed up from the ice). Between that and the ice fishermen (illegally) leaving fish on the lake, we have some eagles that stay year round.

When my Lab was a puppy, we had one drop down from the sky and fly about a dozen feet from the ground over the yard. I could have hit it with a tennis ball if I wanted to. My not-very-bright puppy started to chase after it. I was actually worried that the eagle was going to swoop her up and have her for lunch.

It is fascinating how much other birds hate eagles. It is fun to watch sparrows and other birds dive bomb them to keep them away from their nests. Once on Superior we saw an eagle snag a fish in front of a flock of seagulls. They were not happy and all attacked, quite the noise. The eagle did manage to get away.

If you are ever in Wabasha, MN (home of Grumpy Old Men), check out the National Eagle Center. It is quite an experience to stand a few feet away from those birds.

Jim Koepke
12-12-2020, 2:06 AM
We have them around here. We also have osprey which look a lot like bald eagles.

Bald eagles are swimmers and will catch fish. Maybe there was a fish near your boat the eagle had his eye on Scott.

jtk

Lee Schierer
12-12-2020, 8:36 AM
Here are a couple of eagles I photographed during our Alaska trip. 446867446868

Malcolm McLeod
12-12-2020, 8:58 AM
Here are a couple of eagles I photographed during our Alaska trip. 446867446868

I went from having seen a total of 1-2 in my childhood, to working around Alaska's Kenai peninsula, and "Yeah, there's another one. Next." They are at times like sea gulls - just hordes of them. A remarkable comeback.

I have even seen them nesting on the White River in AR last year.

The numbers don't negate the imagery tho', your photo certainly captures the 'intensity' of their expression. (One I am proudest of is the drawing of the eagle sharpening it's talons, with the twin towers smoking in the background, "Gettin' Ready".)

Bruce Page
12-12-2020, 1:42 PM
Here are a couple of eagles I photographed during our Alaska trip.

Here’s a few I took when I was working on Kodiak Island, Alaska.
It was overwhelming.

Clark Hussey
12-12-2020, 2:23 PM
Here are a couple from our backyard. They like to sit in the dead pine. The younger one is slowly getting his color.
. 446924446925

Jim Allen
12-13-2020, 12:49 PM
Just in from my niece in Alaska...