PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Tucker Vise

Dennis Droege
12-08-2020, 10:13 AM
There's a Veritas Tucker vise listed on Ebay. The seller, who stated that he got it in an abandoned storage compartment sale, opening the bidding at a penny under a thousand dollars. The bid opens in a couple of days, so no one has responded yet. I've never seen one, never used one, but I've read most of the scuttlebutt on it. By sheer force of will, I am declining to bid on it (it helps to share). Does anyone have experience with these vises, and would you care to comment?

Jim Koepke
12-08-2020, 11:39 AM
Searched ebay and couldn't find the one you mentioned.

A consult with Dr. Google found something on a Canadian woodworking forum. TOS doesn't allow linking to other forums so here is a quote:

the last 2 to sell on eBay went for 2300 and 2800$ USD. Im looking to sell mine for just under 2300$ USD. Which put us at $3100 CAD.

This one may not be as nice but it is less expensive and still made:

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/patternmakerswoodworkingvise.aspx

Woodcraft used to also cary a version.

My recollection is the patterns for the Veritas version were somehow damaged or something and that is why they are no longer being made.

jtk

Mike Manning
12-08-2020, 11:46 AM
Jim,
I searched on ebay for "tucker vise" and found one hit. It's the vise the OP mentioned.

Mike

Jim Koepke
12-08-2020, 12:07 PM
Jim,
I searched on ebay for "tucker vise" and found one hit. It's the vise the OP mentioned.

Mike

It must not be liking me today. Can you PM me a link or post the item #?

My search keeps showing no exact matches with nothing like a vise in the items offered.

tia,

jtk

Bruce Page
12-08-2020, 12:23 PM
Jim, item# 184566116601

Jim Koepke
12-08-2020, 2:30 PM
Jim, item# 184566116601

Thanks Bruce, This looks like a better made vise than the models offered by Highland and Woodcraft. They look identical. Due to cost of shipping mine was ordered for in store pickup. Woodcraft has stores around Portland. Sadly Highland doesn't have a national retail brick & mortar presence.

It also looks like there is no need to create an under bench dado or carve a hinge mortising to the surface.

The Veritas looks to have a single bolt. Mine came from Woodcraft and has a pin at each end of the hinge. The machining on the castings left a little bit of wiggle in the hinge. This led me to dismantling the hinge and installing shims at either end. This required drilling the pins, tapping them and then rigging a screw jack to remove them. There is still a little jiggle but not as much.

This experience has also taught me there is a glitch in Chrome when searching ebay. My problem seems to have been caused by doing an advanced search earlier on a different item. Opening a new window or switching browsers to search cleared this.

jtk

Jim Matthews
12-08-2020, 5:12 PM
They're spectacular, and ridiculously overpriced.

A well sorted Emmert K1 can be found for less than $600.

The Acura patternmaker clone is considerably smaller than either.

Peter Mich
12-09-2020, 9:38 AM
I owned one of these beautifully made and massive vises for about 15 years. As a weekend woodworker, it saw limited use and I certainly didn’t take full advantage of its many capacities. I sold it and bought a quick release vise that is more in line with my chair making needs.

Clifford McGuire
12-12-2020, 8:29 PM
Jim, item# 184566116601

Only one bid. :rolleyes:

Malcolm Schweizer
12-12-2020, 8:38 PM
Go to Highland Woodworking and buy their patternmaker’s vise. That’s what I did. It’s not a Tucker Vise, but close enough, and way cheaper.

Dennis Droege
12-13-2020, 9:22 AM
Thanks for that post, Peter; my intuition was telling me not to buy it (and I wanted to).