PDA

View Full Version : DVD Burners

Jack Hogoboom
01-03-2006, 3:31 PM
I realize I am not the brightest bulb in the bin, but can someone explain to me why my new 16x DVD burner just took 45 minutes to burn a 30 minute Woodworks episode onto a DVD? I'm no wizzard, but if I did the math right, shouldn't it have taken only about 2 minutes? What am I missing???!!!:eek:

Jack

John Hart
01-03-2006, 3:56 PM
Hey Jack

Well first off, the write speed doesn't have anything to do with minutes of the program...It has to do with the file size. Secondly, before your burner actually "Burns" it has to write to a cache, unless you have purposely disabled the cache writing. Then it actually writes. 45 minutes seems a tad long...but operating systems, and computer cpu speed will vary this process as well.

Jim Becker
01-03-2006, 6:08 PM
Error checking also adds to the time. There is SO MUCH data that is being written and you want it right!

Lars Thomas
01-03-2006, 6:16 PM
Error checking also adds to the time. There is SO MUCH data that is being written and you want it right!

Especially if it is something as important as Woodworks!

Loy Hawes
01-03-2006, 9:00 PM
What speed are the discs rated at? What program are you using to burn?

Jack Hogoboom
01-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Using an HP Lightscribe drive rated for up to 16X and 8X media. I think I figured out the problem. DVD writing is like the old-style CD burning. You have to write all your files to disk at once. When I put a fresh disk in, it wrote in about 8 minutes but then kicked back an error after 45 minutes of futzing around when I tried to write to the disk later in the day.

Guess I learned my lesson....:rolleyes:

FWIW, LightScribe might be interesting technology, but you need to use BIG letters if you want to be able to read the label. Looks like HP has a few steps to go on the technology.

Jack