PDA

View Full Version : More kindness from Canadians

Frederick Skelly
12-07-2020, 8:25 PM
Read about how a kind Canadian helped the family of a US soldier when they were in a bind.
Once again, the Canadian people come through to help. Thank you Ranger Bath!

From CNN: "A Canadian man drives a stranded American family 1,000 miles to Alaska LINK (https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/12/07/us/ranger-rescues-stranded-family-trnd/index.html)

Bruce Wrenn
12-07-2020, 8:43 PM
Doesn't say anything about how he got back home. Truly a good Canadian!

Bill McNiel
12-07-2020, 8:51 PM
Wonderful story, we need more of this. Thank you for posting.

Doug Garson
12-08-2020, 1:21 AM
Great story,I'm going to send the link to my brother in Victoria, he used to live in Wonown. For those who don't know (probably everyone), Wowon is literally mile 101 of the Alaska highway. My brother lived there probably 30 years ago, it was basically a company settlement for West Coast Energy a Company that owned and operated a bunch of natural gas pipelines. I visited there back then, it was half dozen houses and trailers, no stores, they had to drive over 60 min each way on gravel roads to Fort St John to shop for anything. I believe anyone living in such a remote place would always help anyone in need especially a complete stranger totally out of their element. Thanks for sharing.

Jim Matthews
12-08-2020, 6:58 AM
I believe anyone living in such a remote place would always help anyone in need especially a complete stranger totally out of their element.

Years ago I worked in West Yellowstone.
It was considered rude if you didn't turn off your motor when having a conversation at The Intersection.

Parts of the year, you could set out in any direction from home and not see evidence of people for days.

Many of us forget how little of North America is inhabited.

https://gizmodo.com/heres-a-map-of-the-47-percent-of-america-where-no-one-l-1563923011

Michael Weber
12-08-2020, 10:01 AM
I took a motorcycle trip up the Alcan in 1972. I literally scared myself thinking that if I left the road and walked a hundred yards into the forest, fell and broke my leg, I probably would never be found.

Jim Becker
12-08-2020, 10:07 AM
There are many really good people in the world...and I'm glad that there are a whole bunch of them north of the US border among other places. Kindness should know no physical boundaries in any direction...which fully reinforces the concept of treating others the same way we would like ourselves to be treated by others.

Mike Henderson
12-08-2020, 12:49 PM
Doesn't say anything about how he got back home. Truly a good Canadian!

He probably walked back. Those Canadians are tough:).

Mike

Doug Garson
12-08-2020, 1:34 PM
I heard he had his dogsled team follow him and they gave him a ride back. :cool:

Jim Koepke
12-08-2020, 3:26 PM
For some reason this made me want to hear The Frozen Logger song > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AWP3iEH_Nk

jtk

Frederick Skelly
12-08-2020, 6:19 PM
For some reason this made me want to hear The Frozen Logger song > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AWP3iEH_Nk

jtk

Too funny!

Jim Matthews
12-09-2020, 6:58 AM
I took a motorcycle trip up the Alcan in 1972. [Raccoons.
On a motorcycle?

After 20 miles of washboard, I would prefer walking.

I went in 1981. The passable parts were gravel. The rest was underwater, inderconstruction or theoretical.

In 1972 it must have been as Jack London imagined.

Roger Feeley
12-09-2020, 9:46 AM
My son-in-law is a lawyer who grew up in Canada. He told me once that when they have oral arguments before the Canadian Supreme Court, anyone can sign up for 15 minutes before the court and speak about the issue at hand. I don’t know the specifics but I can’t imagine anything like that here. Our court would still be hearing Van Staphorst v. Maryland (very first case). I see it as a testament to Canadian collegiality.

Michael Weber
12-09-2020, 11:10 AM
After 20 miles of washboard, I would prefer walking.

I went in 1981. The passable parts were gravel. The rest was underwater, inderconstruction or theoretical.

In 1972 it must have been as Jack London imagined.wanted an adventure. Got it. Have stories. mostly about being miserable lol.

Steve Demuth
12-09-2020, 12:56 PM
I'd like to think you'd find people like that anywhere in the United States too, and you probably would. There are good, kind, generous people in every area, race, religion or other division of humanity.

But because my daughter lived and worked in Northern Canada for some years, I am inclined to think they are more thickly scattered in our Northern neighbor than most places, and probably the ratio goes up even more as you move North and into back country. There is a combination of must-be-able-to-fix-anything ruggedness, and recognition that everyone needs help at some point, and what you give you can reasonably expect to receive, that seems to come with the territory.

Rod Sheridan
12-09-2020, 5:58 PM
There are nice people everywhere.

Years ago Diann and I were heading to a BMW bike rally at Biltmore.

It’s hot down south, like I mean HOT.

We were stopped at a state travel Center when an older gentleman came up and started talking to Diann about riding an Indian on a trip to Canada in the forties, inspired by the small Canadian flag on Diann’s bike.

I was really hot. and I wanted to get moving however he was alone, travelling in his RV, his wife had died that year.

Suitably chastened, I stripped of my riding suit as he limped back to his RV to get something for us.

He returned with 2 bottles of cold water, how generous and appreciated.

We stayed there talking for good twenty minutes further, then we parted ways.

I think of him often, as I do the other people in many countries who have bestowed random acts of kindness on me, a complete stranger.

There are some good people out there, I just have to remember to grant the time they deserve....Rod

Doug Garson
12-11-2020, 10:17 PM
Here's a CTV news report on the story, still no word on how Gary the Canadian Ranger got home so I'm sticking with my dogsled idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VygPKm-yW_s

Ronald Blue
12-12-2020, 7:51 AM
Great act of kindness and I can't believe I had never heard that frozen logger song. To funny!!!