PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen workbench

Bob Weisner
01-03-2006, 3:19 PM
I got the new Lie-Nielsen catalog today and I noticed a workbench with the Lie-Nielsen logo on it. Are they now making workbenches? I did not see it in their catalog.

Geoff Irvine
01-03-2006, 3:44 PM
I got the new Lie-Nielsen catalog today and I noticed a workbench with the Lie-Nielsen logo on it. Are they now making workbenches? I did not see it in their catalog.
Hello Bob,
Yes they are and they are $1800 last time I spoke to them. Give them a ring and they should give you a link. Don't forget to ask about shipping I'm not sure if its available. Hope this helps. :)

Bob Weisner
01-03-2006, 4:02 PM
Hello Bob,
Yes they are and they are $1800 last time I spoke to them. Give them a ring and they should give you a link. Don't forget to ask about shipping I'm not sure if its available. Hope this helps. :)

$1,800.00 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!!!!!!!! That's a LOT!!! of money!!!!! I built a workbench for my woodlathes out of Cherry, Ash and Curly Red Oak for under $350.00 It was good to know a good sawmiller:)

Steve Clardy
01-03-2006, 4:07 PM
$1,800.00 :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!!!!!!!! That's a LOT!!! of money!!!!! I built a workbench for my woodlathes out of Cherry, Ash and Curly Red Oak for under $350.00 It was good to know a good sawmiller:)

I don't blame ya Bob.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Matthew Dworman
01-03-2006, 4:39 PM
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/bench.jpg
Here's the link:
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/benches.html

Michael Ballent
01-03-2006, 4:49 PM
Hello Bob,

$1800 is a lot of money... That would buy a lot of planes ;) Even a Unisaw ouch:eek:

Geoff Irvine
01-03-2006, 4:56 PM
I don't blame ya Bob.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: The bench is a bargain its the shipping over to England that would be a killer!:eek::D:o
PS another thing not in that catalogue is their version of 100 1/2 block plane - very useful for seats and shallow concave surfaces

Andy Hoyt
01-03-2006, 5:10 PM
Was in their store a couple of months ago and the table sat front and center.

Guys, you're just gonna have to come up here and see it in person.

Better yet - touch it.

Mark Rios
01-03-2006, 5:27 PM
Has anyone seen the 72" (i think), solid wood workbench at The Borg for $75? I think it's even got a WW vise built in. If someone bought four of them and put them together to make one extra solid bench you would still have enough for that new high end machine.

Martin Lutz
01-03-2006, 6:01 PM
I have used these benches at Marc Adams School of Woodworking, the school and the bench are awesome. Nice and heavy, Lie Nielsen quality for sure.

Jim Young
01-03-2006, 9:53 PM
That price is not high. I figured by the time you get all the lumber and hardware you will be pretty close. Then you still have to build it. For a turn key bench it's not a bad price. Quality premade benches are also hard to come by. Another option would be Diefenbach.

Joe Mioux
01-03-2006, 9:59 PM
Like I tell LOML. For that price I can build it!;)

Mark Carlson
01-03-2006, 11:08 PM
The prices of high quality benches has gone thru the roof in the last couple of years.

Dave Fifield
01-04-2006, 1:51 AM
It looks very Sjoberg-ish.....

Dave Fifield

Alan Turner
01-04-2006, 4:36 AM
Seems to me that $1800, with two vises included, is not that steep. Building a bench takes a lot of time and thought. I have built 3, and am currently building 10 more. Believe me, this is a lot of heavy work!

In the Workbench Bopok by Landis, he writes that when he was in the bench business he would go to WW shows, and have a possible customer examine his bench, and then walk away and tell his wife that it was nice, but he coudl make it. The bench company he had did not do enough volume to stay in business, so he wrote a book instead.

12/4 hard maple, which I assume is the wood, is expensive and had to come by. The vise hardware will be $100 each. Building and mounting a tail vise accurately is a bear. Etc. etc. Overall, not a bad price. But shipping would be a bear.

Mark Singer
01-04-2006, 7:46 AM
It looks a lot like the Deifinbach Bench that I have...similar size and weight...same vise arrangement. I think mine was $1400 5 or 6 years ago...so the price is fair.

Alan Burhop
01-04-2006, 9:23 AM
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/bench.jpg
Here's the link:
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/benches.html

That bench looks like the one Norm built on NYW