PDA

View Full Version : Dec. 7th 1941

Bruce Volden
12-07-2020, 6:22 PM
I wasn't there. I wasn't born yet. But I do recall as a young kid people still talked about it.
I lost 1 uncle in WWII and others with disabilities from the war. Pearl Harbor galvanized the US
and stepped up the war effort.
Thinking about that today.

Bruce

Mel Fulks
12-07-2020, 6:46 PM
Had an uncle who was there. His jeep turned over , broke his back. Suffered every day afterward and wore back
bracing stuff. Made his tattoo flags, eagles, palm trees ,and sadly sometimes ...the hula girls ,harder to see when he
animated them.

Bill McNiel
12-07-2020, 9:11 PM
Bruce - Mahalo for remembering and posting,

My parents were living on the side of Diamond Head on December 7th. My father became the Chief Medical Civilian Consultant to the Armed Forces in the Pacific during WW2, he was twice elected President of the AMA. My mother spent the war organizing volunteer military support activities and lobbing for the civil rights of interned local Japanese. My uncle was "shot down" at Hickam AFB before he was able to get airborne, he survived and later in life was a VP of Aloha Airlines. My mother kept a diary throughout the war, very interesting reading. At the time of the attack my parents were guardians of a young English lad whose parents had sent to Hawaii to avoid the Blitz in London.

December 7, 1941 is, understandably, a significant date for my family. It is very sad and incomprehensible that virtually as many Americans died today from Covid.

Lee Schierer
12-07-2020, 9:28 PM
Visiting Pearl Harbor is a humbling experience. The Arizona still bleeds.446494446495

Bruce King
12-08-2020, 12:39 AM
I visited Pearl Harbor in 1975 then in 1980 I was proud to work several months with a WWII tank commander. He was a 19 year old tank commander in Germany, only two in his group survived. We traveled around and installed sound systems and CATV in businesses, churches and schools. I got to hear some wild and funny stories. He loved to fish and the year of his retirement he caught a huge red snapper on a company fishing trip.

lowell holmes
12-11-2020, 3:59 PM
I was seven years old on Dec 7, 1941 and I remember the radio news casts. I had two uncles in that war, they both survived. I also remember when the war was over.

Brian Holcombe
12-11-2020, 7:40 PM
I visited Pearl Harbor in 1975 then in 1980 I was proud to work several months with a WWII tank commander. He was a 19 year old tank commander in Germany, only two in his group survived. We traveled around and installed sound systems and CATV in businesses, churches and schools. I got to hear some wild and funny stories. He loved to fish and the year of his retirement he caught a huge red snapper on a company fishing trip.

Incredible to work with someone who has had such experiences. I miss that generation quite a bit, their generally stoic nature was admirable.

Bill Dufour
12-11-2020, 7:42 PM
My father was in Air Corp boot camp that day. He, and everyone else, got a medal for being in the army on that day. just like he got a medal, a ruptured duck, wehn he was discharged.
Bill D

Jim Koepke
12-12-2020, 2:55 PM
My father was doing different kinds of work when the war came. One of his wage earning enterprises was radio repair. He ended up at Treasure Island teaching radio operators how to use and repair their ship radios. This wasn't learned until later in my adult life and that was only by happenstance. One evening while we were talking my mention of going to a particular electronics supply store was met with his mention of the namesake of the store was at Treasure Island with him teaching ship radio operators.

One of my uncles spoke German. He ended up working to question and communicate with captured German soldiers. This also was the only time he spoke of what he did during the war. It came up when he thought a silk screen print of mine with some stylized text looked German.

A production manager at one of my employers would talk about how things were always a bit strange for him. When people asked him what he did during the war he would tell them he was a Boat Captain in the Army. When people in the Army asked what he did before the war he told them he operated a machine that drilled square holes. Of course most woodworkers know that as a mortising machine. He often told us most people didn't believe either explanation of what he did.

jtk