PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1236 Spindle Pulley Help

Tyler Chevier
12-07-2020, 5:34 PM
Does anyone know of a source for a set of spindle pulleys for a Jet JWL-1236? I've searched high and low for them and can only seem to locate the motor pulleys. I've read that the harbor freight lathe shares most of the same parts, but the bore / bearing size is different. I'd rather not have to make a different part work if an oem is available.
Second, the whole machine needs some tlc, just curious how much money is worth sinking into a lathe of this caliber? I have an in with a local machine shop that could certainly make one, but even with the in, I'm sure it will be pricey...

Some background info - This lathe was given to me so I'm into it zero dollars. The speed adjustment was stuck on low and the spindle pulley was seized. I tried everything I read on here / knew to not force it too much but I couldn't get it to budge even a little. Eventually I resorted to a gear puller. When the puller didn't work by itself, I decided to add a little heat. This time it finally broke loose, but got pretty bent out of shape in the process.
I've never turned anything before, I've always focused on other wood working tools and techniques. While I'm really interested in trying it out, I'm not in a position to spend very much money on it. If this lathe isn't worth repairing, it will be a long time before I see myself shelling out the money for a different one. If it is worth repairing, I'd definitely like to give it a try!

David Walser
12-07-2020, 7:47 PM
Tyler -- This lathe was fairly popular 20 years ago, which is why Harbor Freight choose to clone it. IIRC, Grizzly also had a clone. You might check to see if any of their Reeves drive parts you need fit the Jet. A better option would be to keep your eyes open for a used Jet in your area that you could pick up for very little money. Then, one lathe could serve as a part source for the other.

A still better option would be to join a local woodturning club. With COVID, it may be a little more difficult to get hands on experience on someone else's lathe, but many clubs have active mentoring programs. Some member may be willing to tutor you, using his lathe or one of the club's lathes. That will give you a better idea how much time, effort, and money you're willing to invest in learning to turn. But be careful. When you stand at a lathe, personal budgets tend to go out the window.

Tyler Chevier
12-07-2020, 8:46 PM
Thanks for the quick response! I'm 99% sure the pulleys from the Grizzly G5979 will work, it looks like they're mated with the same bearing anyway. I ordered the set, they should be here Thursday so we'll see.

I'll still keep an eye out for a used unit just in case. I'd love to find a local woodturning club but I don't believe there is anything local to me... we don't even have a local grocery store. Oh well, maybe if I go at it slowly enough it won't be so expensive. I've heard it can be a slippery slope!
Thanks again for the advise, this forum is amazing.