PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
12-07-2020, 12:41 PM
7 Dec 2020

Greetings,
This past week was a nice week to be off work and just try to relax a bit. Got a bit of time in the shop but not as much as I had hoped. I'm finally over the kidney stone ordeal and The LOML has setup the Christmas decorations. Now I just need to get myself back on track with the work I need to get done in the shop.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all!

Paul F Franklin
12-07-2020, 10:50 PM
Dennis, glad to hear your kidney stone issues are over!

I cut the dovetails on the three drawers for my prototype desk pedestal and got them glued up after prefinishing the insides. That let me dry fit the whole pedestal together and take it for a test drive with a makeshift top and a sawhorse standing in for the other pedestal. I'm happy with the height (29") and the proportions and drawer sizes so full speed ahead. I still have to test out the design for the slide out work surface extensions that will slide in above the top drawers. The pullout will be about 22x13 1/4 and I glued up some stock to make one. Then I remembered I only have a 12" jointer planer. Thought briefly about hand planing it to final dimensions but I had left the stock 3/8 thicker than final and I'm a wimp with hand planes so I'm just going to rip it in half, run it through the J/P and reglue. Then I got started rough milling stock for the real desks. I'm only about 1/4 done and I'm already really tired of emptying the dust collector bin, but will soldier on.

Jim Becker
12-08-2020, 8:29 PM
'Glad you got in the shop this past week, Dennis!

I finished up a valet box commission for a client and also did a refurbish of my sharpening grinder station...I've been using the "spinny thing" a little more recently for project support and really needed the grinder station to be more mobile. And it was also disgustingly dirty from a decade and a half of little or no attention. There's a full spread in the Workshops area, but this was the end result:

446586 446587

This week I'm back on my bass guitar project for a change as well as working on a small table that will accompany a chair I recently finished. Both will get detailed in the forum once I get things completed.

Dave Seng
12-10-2020, 11:21 AM
I've been busy working on getting the shop set up. I put in 14" of cellulose insulation in the attic, installed three new 220 circuits and another 120 quad box, built a wall in the overhead garage door opening and insulated it and am now working on building the jambs and threshold for a man door in the new wall. I built the wall so that it can easily be removed (someday when I sell this place) - the garage door opening is only 75" high - too low for my truck or 4Runner. Then I'm going to build a torsion box man door for the new wall, putting 2" of foamboard in the man door. Busy and fun!

Jim Becker
12-10-2020, 8:40 PM
That sounds like a nice shop setup coming along, Dave. Be sure you post about it in the Workshops section so folks can drool a little. :)