PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen Bench Planes at Highland Woodworking?

Steve Mathews
12-06-2020, 3:57 PM
I noticed that Highland Woodworking doesn't show Lie-Nielsen bench planes on their website anymore. Have they fallen off Lie-Nielsen's authorized dealers list?

Jim Koepke
12-06-2020, 5:22 PM
I noticed that Highland Woodworking doesn't show Lie-Nielsen bench planes on their website anymore. Have they fallen off Lie-Nielsen's authorized dealers list?

It may be the supply has dropped.

Browsing by manufacturer indicates they still have some LN product on hand. They may have sold out inventory without any expected delivery until this pandemic ends.

jtk

Jack Frederick
12-07-2020, 11:46 AM
Call LN direct. I had a chat with them a couple weeks back when ordering the Boggs Concave Spokeshave, a terrific tool btw, and they said they were in pretty good shape inventory wise.

John Keeton
12-07-2020, 12:17 PM
One answer may be tool addicted woodworkers locked down and letting their addiction take over. I plead guilty!! The upside is that over the past few months my shop tool selection is looking much more refined.

John Stankus
12-07-2020, 1:13 PM
They have a message about this on their website.

Just search for lie-Nielsen

mike stenson
12-07-2020, 1:41 PM
You should try buying bicycle parts currently. Makes LN planes look readily available.

Bob Jones 5443
12-07-2020, 3:42 PM
The recent Highland catalog devoted a full page to Lie-Nielsen (page 25). It was a glowing homage to Tom Lie-Nielsen and his company at their 40th anniversary. If you look on the Highland website, there's a link at the top right that sends you to the same page. Once you click out of that link, you see the meager L-N line still available through Highland today. Tee shirts, anyone?

L-N has had a rough year. I can only imagine the strain this has placed on the good folks there. But I am holding firm to the craftsmanship and commitment to excellence they have given to the WW community over the decades. The L-N 4-1/2 was my first plane. They will remain on my go-to list when I want a fine tool.

Todd Trebuna
12-07-2020, 3:52 PM
One answer may be tool addicted woodworkers locked down and letting their addiction take over. I plead guilty!! The upside is that over the past few months my shop tool selection is looking much more refined.

It must be this. I haven't been locked down, but the virus has dramatically increased my tool consumption. And like you, the quality of my tools has increased s well.