PDA

View Full Version : Finally, a bowl!

Joe Tonich
07-13-2003, 8:33 PM
I was finally able to get a little shop time this weekend and played on the lathe. :) This bowl came from one I started last winter that I blew out the bottom and couldn't figure out how to mount it again. The Jumbo-Jaws that SWMBO got me for my Birthday saved me and I was able to turn a tennon on it. It warped pretty bad and I have to confess my scraper and 60grit did most of the saving on it. It's from a neighbors Maple that they cut down. Sides are about 3/8" thick as I'm tired of these things exploding when I get them thinner! :( I used Velvit Oil for the finish.

Joe

Jason Roehl
07-13-2003, 8:42 PM
Good save, Joe! I like bowls with a little heft to them--lets you know you're holding something and don't have to be afraid you're going to break it (once it's off the lathe, of course!!! :D ).

Doug Jones
07-16-2003, 8:53 PM
Hey Joe, I like your bowl very much. I'm not a turner so I really enjoy seeing all the projects turned by ya'll. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Don Farr
07-17-2003, 7:46 AM
Great bowl! I'm a newbie turner and hope to be able to do work like that soon. Thanks for sharing.