PDA

View Full Version : Delta 62-175 15" Planer

jamil mehdi
12-06-2020, 10:32 AM
Anyone familiar with this model?

Looks to be 30+ years old. Probably needs to be completely disassembled, cleaned and tuned up because it hasn't been used for 20 years. No apparent dust collection.

Any info specific to this machine would be appreciated. Can't find much on the intertubes

Mike Kees
12-06-2020, 12:27 PM
That planer is older than the DC 380 that I used to own. Is it 13" or 15" ? The lever on the side for speed changes looks like the design that was made for Delta by Invicta in Brazil. I think the older planers in this design are generally considered better made,especially the Invicta ones or the US built ones. Does this machine run ? To me it looks like it needs a good cleaning and bearings will need to be replaced. What is the asking price and how much time do you have on your hands ? My 380 was a good planer that worked quite well. I did not like the motor on top, made knife changes a bear. Also you are lifting it every time you adjust the cut depth. Dust collection worked real good, I made my own hood from plywood.

jamil mehdi
12-06-2020, 12:48 PM
That's good to know about the dust collection. That was my biggest concern.

It's a 15" planer and I'll be looking at it tomorrow, as far as I know, the motor runs. I have a working planer now, so I've got some time to get it cleaned up and functional. My current planer has a helical head and I've been looking for a three knife planer for faster dimensioning of rough cut lumber. We agreed on $500 assuming no major issues. Does that sound about right?

Bill Dufour
12-06-2020, 2:23 PM
That sounds like a fair price to me. I would oil the chain and gears before use. Make sure to oil the bedroll bearings.
Bill D.

Ben Helmich
12-06-2020, 2:25 PM
An equalvilant planer in the Grizzly line would be $1300 + tax delivered to your door. I have a DC-380 I bought used. That planer looks a lot like it. Haven't done anything but belts and blades. I really like it. Mine has dust collection, though. $500 seems high, but maybe not. Just remember your time and money to get it right + the $500 initial cost needs to be well less than a new one. (I'm guilty of buying some "cheap" things in the past that were close to or more than the price of new when all was said and done.)

Bill Dufour
12-06-2020, 2:30 PM
I read somewhere a delta DC 33 is the same machine? not sure if I trust the source.
Bill D

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=4183