PDA

View Full Version : Columbus WW show

Wes Billups
01-03-2006, 1:11 PM
I just found out that I will be in Columbus, OH next weekend and that is the same weekend as the woodworking show. I went to the Woodworking Shows website and see Lee Valley will be present. Can anyone tell me if they have their hand tools on display? I have always considered buying them but have been afraid due to the fact I can't see how they fit my hands prior to the purchase. I was also wondering if there is any special local vendors that I need to make sure to stop by and see. I am getting ready to move into the area from Lincoln, NE and wanted to start feeling out the area for woodworking sites of interest.

Thanks,
Wes Billups

Matt Meiser
01-03-2006, 1:24 PM
I have a brother that lives in Columbus and I'm making plans to visit them and to hit the show on Saturday. I hadn't seen that Lee Valley is supposed to be there. Woodwerks is a local vendor in the area, but I don't know if they are going to be at the show.

Donnie Raines
01-03-2006, 1:26 PM
They displayed their hand tool line a few years back. I would assume they will do the same this year. It was really nice...you could pick the tools up and even test drive them. They had folks handy to answer question's.

Matt Meiser
01-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Looks like I will probably be going Friday afternoon/evening. A co-worker and I are making a call to a client east of Columbus that day and my wife's driving down that evening. I think I'm going to have my co-worker drop me off at the show and have my brother pick me up.

Jim DeLaney
01-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Has anybody been to this show in the past? I'm about 160 miles - three+ hours - drive away from Columbus, and am considering making the trip (weather permitting) down there. for the show.

I don't want to waste a whole day if the show is just going to be a half dozen vendors selling stuff I can buy any day of the week at a local hardware store...

Opinions please?

Matt Meiser
01-04-2006, 1:43 PM
Jim, Everything I know is based on going to the Detroit show by the same company the past few years. The list of exhibitors at the Columbus show looks bigger than the one at Detroit this year. This years Detroit show wasn't as good as in the past, in my opinion, but probably worthwhile if you don't get a chance to see stuff in person locally. I didn't sit through any seminars in Detroit this year (because my finger hurt too bad and I was uncomfortable) but I probably will at the Columbus show. I have a similar drive to Columbus. If I didn't have other reasons for being there, I probably wouldn't be going, but since I'm going to be there, I'm definitely planning to go.

Also, don't they have a show in Cleveland or Pittsburg?

Steve Wargo
01-04-2006, 2:14 PM
Wow,
I'm going to be in Columbus next week for my son's hockey tournament. I may check it out. Anyone that went last year want to comment on the show? I went 4 years ago (pretty good) and 3 years ago (poor) and skipped the last two years. As to a show up here in Cleveland... We haven't had one for years. There is one usually held in Akron but it is very poor. Thanks for any input on las years show, PM's are fine to update. THanks.

John Weber
01-04-2006, 3:51 PM
Has anybody been to this show in the past? I'm about 160 miles - three+ hours - drive away from Columbus, and am considering making the trip (weather permitting) down there. for the show.

I don't want to waste a whole day if the show is just going to be a half dozen vendors selling stuff I can buy any day of the week at a local hardware store...

Opinions please?

Jim,

The Columbus and Indy shows are some of the biggest in the WWS series. Columbus maybe a bit larger then Indy. I've gone for maybe a dozen years or so. Maybe six years ago the big WW dealer (Wood Werks) pulled out and has a couter show. Thier place is awesome and they always have great "counter" show deals.

As far as the show, there is usually little big iron, although I've seen Laguna, Mini Max, in the past. Occasionally the show will find an out of town dealer (Cincy, Cleveland, Indy) to bring some (Jet/Powermatic/Delta) stuff.

The Woodworkers Choice (TWC) grew to about 1/4 the booth space, but I thought I heard they went out of business, so not sure what will fill that space.

Prices are generally ok, but don't plan to break even after you figure gas, tickets, food, etc... Deals can be found, but internet shopping has made really big discounts a thing of the past.

Really good booths include: Lee Valley (free shipping/no tax), most items on display, but everything is shipped. Lie-Nielsen, 10% off and most items in stock at the show. SharptoolsUSA, Jeff will be having plenty of Tormek demos. Kreg, lots of demos and specials. Others in the past include:

DeWalt
Woodcraft
CMT
Bosch
Milwaukee
Makita
PC

The show has really focused on seminars the last few years, and they are very good (both the free and for fee). So easy to spend a day or two if you enjoy seminars.

I always go with my Dad and Uncle and still look forward to the shows. The three of us always manage to spend plenty of money.

I'm going Sunday this year, it's a little less crowded, Saturday can be packed, best to come early or later in the day.

John

Matt Meiser
01-04-2006, 5:51 PM
(Wood Werks) pulled out and has a couter show. Thier place is awesome and they always have great "counter" show deals.

Bummer, so I have to go to Woodwerks too while I'm down there? :D

Pete Grass
01-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Jim,

The Columbus and Indy shows are some of the biggest in the WWS series. Columbus maybe a bit larger then Indy.

John
John - do you have a date/time frame on the Indy show? A link would be great. I can't do the Columbus show but would like to put the Indy one on the longer range calendar.

Thanks,

Pete

Chris Rosenberger
01-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Here are some links.

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/columbus

http://www.woodwerks.com/

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/indianapolis

Pete Grass
01-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Chris - just what I was looking for - thanks,

Pete

Matt Meiser
01-05-2006, 7:53 AM
The Woodworkers Choice (TWC) grew to about 1/4 the booth space, but I thought I heard they went out of business, so not sure what will fill that space.

In Detroit this year, Peachtree Woodworking had a lot more floor space than previous years. I was suprised not to see TWC as they've been a major player at all the previous shows I've been to.

Chris Rosenberger
01-05-2006, 11:06 AM
If I remember correctly. TWC was a division of Black & Decker. When Black & Deck merged with Porter Cable & Delta it was decided that they should not have a retail arm competing directly with their local dealers at shows.

Donnie Raines
01-05-2006, 11:10 AM
I may be attending. Anyone want me to drag some lumber with me if i make the trip?

Matt Meiser
01-05-2006, 11:43 AM
I may be attending. Anyone want me to drag some lumber with me if i make the trip?

Must...Say...No.... :D

Are you trying to get me in trouble with SWMBO?

Ryan Ricks
01-05-2006, 11:45 AM
I recently moved from Denver to Lexington, KY. A group of us from work all moved out here. We went every year to the Denver show. Now we are deciding which show to go to - either the Columbus or the Indianapolis. I will be at one of the two! Just need to decide which...

-Ryan

Donnie Raines
01-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Must...Say...No.... :D

Are you trying to get me in trouble with SWMBO?

Hey...if I'm in trouble with mine...it's only fair that everyone else is, too!!:rolleyes: :cool:

John Weber
01-05-2006, 5:32 PM
I recently moved from Denver to Lexington, KY. A group of us from work all moved out here. We went every year to the Denver show. Now we are deciding which show to go to - either the Columbus or the Indianapolis. I will be at one of the two! Just need to decide which...

-Ryan

Ryan,

Indy usually has more physical space, that makes it a little nicer, and Superior and Winner (Delta/Powermatic/General) are usually both there and will compete on price with each other.

Columbus, is very full, and if you are buying machines, WoodWerks (who is not at the show, but has it's own show) has about the best prices you will fine.

I say go to both!

John

Chris Rosenberger
01-05-2006, 5:41 PM
John,
Superior and Winner have not been at the Indy show for the past 2 years.
They have done like Woodwerks and had open houses at the same time. Cheryl Winner told me that they always lost money at the Indy Show by the time they paid to move equipment & rented the space & did not pickup enough repeat customers to make it up.

Chris

John Weber
01-05-2006, 8:28 PM
John,
Superior and Winner have not been at the Indy show for the past 2 years.
They have done like Woodwerks and had open houses at the same time. Cheryl Winner told me that they always lost money at the Indy Show by the time they paid to move equipment & rented the space & did not pickup enough repeat customers to make it up.

Chris

Wow! I guess that is about how long it's been since I've been to Indy. When Badger Pond was around, a group of us would meet after the Indy show, when the Pond went away I guess the group sort of fell apart. It was rough because the two shows are almost always just a week apart. First Columbus (I don't think I've miss a year), then Indy, I would always find a few treasures at each.

Cheryl is a great lady, she knows the business better then anyone else I know. It's been a couple years since I've talked to her, when I changed jobs I stopped going to Indy for work and we usually have have other things to do when visiting now. She hooked me up with my Powermatic planer and edge sander.

John