PDA

View Full Version : Fair price for Laguna 14 SUV?

Jamie Hoskins
12-04-2020, 11:54 AM
So I am in the common position of deciding what Bandsaw to buy. I am a weekend warrior that will want the ability to do various tasks with the bandsaw. I will need to do some periodic resawing, but not of large logs or anything like that. For example, I have some very nice old barnwood that I will be using to make a Green Egg Table. I have some boards that are 4/4 and I will resaw them into 1/2" boards for door frames, etc. These range from 4" wide to a max of 10-12", but those will be few and far between. I will then use it for other common bandsaw tasks. Nothing out of the ordinary. I don't turn, so no bowl blanks or anything like that.

I have considered 14" - 18" saws. While an 18" would be nice, I don't think I want or need to take up that much room for what I will be doing. It's simply overkill. This isn't a daily or even weekly use item for me. I have looked at Laguna, Rikon, and Grizzly. Just not a fan of the Grizzly overall although they seem to be a good value.

So I am basically down to the Laguna and Rikon. Laguna has such a long wait that I have given up on the idea of a new 14BX simply due to the wait even though it was just on sale. It appears to me the 14 SUV is either discontinued or they just aren't making them at all right now. I like the 10-353 Rikon due to weight and HP although I also come back to the 10-326 as a nice general purpose saw. Both Rikons have the better fence it appears (vs. the standard Laguna fence). So where does the 14 SUV come into play, well there is a like new, used one a couple of hours from me and I think it is probably the best saw of my options. I am aware of the table height issues, but for as much as I am going to use it, I don't think any of them are make or break for me.

As I see it, here is where I am:

Rikon 10-326 - Approx $1400 delivered to me. There is a promo to include a mobility cart, but that is not a make or break it issue in my consideration. Lighter machine, 1.75hp, 5 Year warranty.
Rikon 10-353 - Approx 1950-$2000 to me. Heavier, 3HP, 5 Year warranty, better fence
Laguna 14SUV - Asking $1900 with 3 blades, $1800 with one. Heavier, 3Hp, Standard fence only. 2 hour drive to pick it up. probably out of warranty.

So I think I like the Laguna in general as I like the idea of the ceramic guides, known quality, etc, but think I need to factor in no warranty.

I am one to want to offer a fair price. Everyone wants things as cheap as possible, but what are your opinions on these options and if you think the Laguna is the best option what would be a fair price to pay. Not looking to lowball.

Thanks.

Alan Lightstone
12-04-2020, 12:09 PM
Haven't owned the Rikons, but I did own a Laguna 14SUV for a number of years. The motor was nice. The only real issue I had with it, and this may have been resolved in later generations, is that the method of attaching the Driftmaster fence was a joke. Really poorly designed, and amateurish.

If you're not planning to get that fence, I'd say it's a nice bandsaw. Table was a little small, but it is a 14" bandsaw, so that goes with the territory. Ultimately I went much bigger with a Felder, but not your issue.

Mike Tekin
12-04-2020, 12:19 PM
Jamie - personnally, I wouldn't pay more than $1200 for that Laguna with everything included. Even though its like new, it is used.

Instead, I would buy the Harvey 14" C14 bandsaw - they are the manufacturer for Laguna for the 14SUV and have it priced competitively. 95% is the same saw - difference is they use bearing guides and different color: https://www.harveywoodworking.com/products/new-ambassador-c14-3hp-14-band-saw If you subscribe to Harvey's newsletters/emails and don't need it right away, I have seen it as low as $1249. I don't own it but have talked to them at long lengths about their dust processer and they are wonderful folks.

I own the 10-353 and it is a beast of a 14" saw - I feel the fence is better, like you said, but both are great saws. I was able to get my 10-353 for $1400 shipped before the tariffs hit, thus I lucked out. Either way, in summary, I would buy the Harvey and save some money if I was buying now because the Rikon is inflated due to the tariffs.

After having a saw without a brake I wouldn't do it...thus a no for the 10-326

Jamie Hoskins
12-04-2020, 12:32 PM
Jamie - personnally, I wouldn't pay more than $1200 for that Laguna with everything included. Even though its like new, it is used.

Instead, I would buy the Harvey 14" C14 bandsaw - they are the manufacturer for Laguna for the 14SUV and have it priced competitively. 95% is the same saw - difference is they use bearing guides and different color: https://www.harveywoodworking.com/products/new-ambassador-c14-3hp-14-band-saw If you subscribe to Harvey's newsletters/emails and don't need it right away, I have seen it as low as $1249. I don't own it but have talked to them at long lengths about their dust processer and they are wonderful folks.

I own the 10-353 and it is a beast of a 14" saw - I feel the fence is better, like you said, but both are great saws. I was able to get my 10-353 for $1400 shipped before the tariffs hit, thus I lucked out. Either way, in summary, I would buy the Harvey and save some money if I was buying now because the Rikon is inflated due to the tariffs.

After having a saw without a brake I wouldn't do it...thus a no for the 10-326

Thanks, excellent feedback Mike. I have looked at the Harvey's so I am familiar. Will take another look. I don't think the guy would consider $1200, but agree with your points.

Justin Rapp
12-04-2020, 2:45 PM
So I am in the common position of deciding what Bandsaw to buy. I am a weekend warrior that will want the ability to do various tasks with the bandsaw. I will need to do some periodic resawing, but not of large logs or anything like that. For example, I have some very nice old barnwood that I will be using to make a Green Egg Table. I have some boards that are 4/4 and I will resaw them into 1/2" boards for door frames, etc. These range from 4" wide to a max of 10-12", but those will be few and far between. I will then use it for other common bandsaw tasks. Nothing out of the ordinary. I don't turn, so no bowl blanks or anything like that.

I have considered 14" - 18" saws. While an 18" would be nice, I don't think I want or need to take up that much room for what I will be doing. It's simply overkill. This isn't a daily or even weekly use item for me. I have looked at Laguna, Rikon, and Grizzly. Just not a fan of the Grizzly overall although they seem to be a good value.

So I am basically down to the Laguna and Rikon. Laguna has such a long wait that I have given up on the idea of a new 14BX simply due to the wait even though it was just on sale. It appears to me the 14 SUV is either discontinued or they just aren't making them at all right now. I like the 10-353 Rikon due to weight and HP although I also come back to the 10-326 as a nice general purpose saw. Both Rikons have the better fence it appears (vs. the standard Laguna fence). So where does the 14 SUV come into play, well there is a like new, used one a couple of hours from me and I think it is probably the best saw of my options. I am aware of the table height issues, but for as much as I am going to use it, I don't think any of them are make or break for me.

As I see it, here is where I am:

Rikon 10-326 - Approx $1400 delivered to me. There is a promo to include a mobility cart, but that is not a make or break it issue in my consideration. Lighter machine, 1.75hp, 5 Year warranty.
Rikon 10-353 - Approx 1950-$2000 to me. Heavier, 3HP, 5 Year warranty, better fence
Laguna 14SUV - Asking $1900 with 3 blades, $1800 with one. Heavier, 3Hp, Standard fence only. 2 hour drive to pick it up. probably out of warranty.

So I think I like the Laguna in general as I like the idea of the ceramic guides, known quality, etc, but think I need to factor in no warranty.

I am one to want to offer a fair price. Everyone wants things as cheap as possible, but what are your opinions on these options and if you think the Laguna is the best option what would be a fair price to pay. Not looking to lowball.

Thanks.

The 14BX is a nice saw, I have one and love it. The 14SUV is really nice and if you can pick up one resale in great shape, that do it. However given it is 2k new, 1800 seems a bit of stretch for any used machine. Mine as well buy new if you can get one.

However - another option - send an e-mail to Morgan at Laguna and ask him if he has a machine. He is the contact for the Laguna outlet. He sent me my 14BX and it was a demo that was on display at a trade show or something. He also tossed in a blade, and i saved a fair amount of $$$. When I got it, it was in perfect shape. Looks like it never even had been turned on, although I was told it was tested pre-ship. His e-mail address is on the top of the http://lagunatoolsoutlet.com/ web page.

Dave Sabo
12-04-2020, 3:58 PM
Unless those 3 blades with the Laguna are ReSaw Kings, then the price is high for a used saw.

Attachment for Driftmaster fence is a joke on many Laguna saws. Just wait’ll you try and open
the lower door on some of them with it on.

Jamie Hoskins
12-04-2020, 4:36 PM
Thanks all.

I talked to Harvey and think their 14" machine is a viable option but it is out of stock as of Friday. They said it looks like January for new shipments. I have sent Morgan at Laguna an email to see if he has anything available. At this point I am not going to make an offer on the SUV until I see if any of the other options pan out. The guy at Harvey said they do sales quite often. Their 15" is nice, but for that money I would get the Rikon 10-347. It's not a rush, but I don't have a lot of patience either so who knows I may end up with an 18".

Justin Rapp
12-04-2020, 4:52 PM
Thanks all.

I talked to Harvey and think their 14" machine is a viable option but it is out of stock as of Friday. They said it looks like January for new shipments. I have sent Morgan at Laguna an email to see if he has anything available. At this point I am not going to make an offer on the SUV until I see if any of the other options pan out. The guy at Harvey said they do sales quite often. Their 15" is nice, but for that money I would get the Rikon 10-347. It's not a rush, but I don't have a lot of patience either so who knows I may end up with an 18".

I am with you on the patients... I ordered a Laguna dust collector on Monday and have not heard anything about a shipment yet. As far as I know it's not backordered but I am sure the big sale they had gave them a small backlog. Hopefully Morgan has something for you or the Harvey works out. I do like the ceramic guides a lot on my 14BX. Takes a few minutes to adjust when changing blades and that's it.

Cliff Polubinsky
12-04-2020, 5:51 PM
Jamie,

I can highly recommend the Rikon 10-347. I took delivery of one the beginning of October, upgrading from a Rikon 10-325 and the difference is night an day. Resawing on the 14" was always an iffy proposition. If I was going to slice veneer I'd have to make sure I had extra stock to compensate for the bad cuts. On the 347 it's no concern at all. I just set the fence and do one slice after another. I've got a Resaw King on the saw at the moment but even with a Timberline 1/2" the saw cut straight and consistently. I don't know if Rikon has sold all the saws they received in the last shipment but it would be worth it to check.

Cliff

Melvin Feng
12-05-2020, 2:27 AM
I'll echo what others have said about the price of the used Laguna, it is way too high. The SUV used to sell for 1800 new, if I remember correctly, and only the past couple years or so increased to $2k, which puts it at the same price as the 18 BX (which I have, I think it is a great value saw for its capabilities).

You can see if the seller is flexible on pricing, but if not, and you aren't in a rush, I would pass.

If you are looking to spend up to $2k, look to see if any local laguna dealers have an 18 BX in stock. Don't order it if they don't have it, as I have heard of some waiting for months. If there isn't one available, definitely take a closer look at the Rikons!

Curt Harms
12-05-2020, 7:10 AM
Something I don't believe anyone has mentioned re 14" vs. 18". Some blades, especially the thicker carbide tipped prefer a larger diameter wheel. The bands fatigue less so live longer. The carbide tipped bands are usually .032" or thicker vs. .025" usually found on 14" saws.

Cliff Polubinsky
12-05-2020, 11:04 AM
Jaimie,

Too bad you're so far away. There's an 18bx in stock at a store in northeast Indiana. But if you really like road trips....

Cliff

Jamie Hoskins
12-05-2020, 11:20 AM
Thanks again all for the feedback. I wish we had more Laguna dealers around me (Nasvhille), but on their website it only shows the Woodcrafts in Franklin (very near to me), Chattanooga, and Birmingham. They are all going to have the same issue with ordering a new one. If they would have had an 18BX in stock or even available to ship within 30 days I would have bought one especially since it came with a free resaw king blade and was on sale. While I am not in "hurry" I also don't want to wait until April or May.

I have kind of set my ceiling price at 2k not really because of the money so much, but simply that this is a tool that will maybe get used 10-15 time per year. I get a hair every now and then to make something (I made a nice bed and dresser a few years back out of Brazilian Cherry) and I like having the right tools to do the job. I moved about 18 months ago and sold a 14" delta with riser and 6" jet Jointer knowing I would replace them at my new place. Just now getting around to a project that I want them for. I will also be looking for a 6 or 8" jointer with helical blades so by keeping the bandsaw price down a bit I don't feel so bad spending more on a decent jointer.

It basically all comes down to being practical. I like and will pay for good equipment, but there is a balance to be had with how much I will use them. I am fairly set on a 3HP motor in either size simply so I can resaw without worrying about things bogging down and not cursing for having to move at a snails pace.

I believe the 10-347 is what I would get if I really wanted to spend $2500+ but I think it's really just more saw than I need and at some point I have to just say its more money than it's worth for my use. If Morgan doesn't get back to me next week with something, I will just keep an eye on the Harvey 14CX for a sale in the next month. I may even offer the guy with the SUV $1200 and if he realizes the reality, that would be a fine saw for what I need and give me some more flexibility on my jointer purchase.

I appreciate everyone's input. I think I know what I am comfortable with now, just need to see what deal works out first.

Jamie Hoskins
12-05-2020, 11:22 AM
Jaimie,

Too bad you're so far away. There's an 18bx in stock at a store in northeast Indiana. But if you really like road trips....

Cliff

Yeah, just a bit farther than I am looking to go.

Jim Becker
12-05-2020, 11:34 AM
I agree that a heavier, larger saw is going to likely give you more in the long run, so the Rikon or a big Grizzly in your budget is a much better choice than that used Laguna.

Mike Tekin
12-05-2020, 11:48 AM
Thanks again all for the feedback. I wish we had more Laguna dealers around me (Nasvhille), but on their website it only shows the Woodcrafts in Franklin (very near to me), Chattanooga, and Birmingham. They are all going to have the same issue with ordering a new one. If they would have had an 18BX in stock or even available to ship within 30 days I would have bought one especially since it came with a free resaw king blade and was on sale. While I am not in "hurry" I also don't want to wait until April or May.

I have kind of set my ceiling price at 2k not really because of the money so much, but simply that this is a tool that will maybe get used 10-15 time per year. I get a hair every now and then to make something (I made a nice bed and dresser a few years back out of Brazilian Cherry) and I like having the right tools to do the job. I moved about 18 months ago and sold a 14" delta with riser and 6" jet Jointer knowing I would replace them at my new place. Just now getting around to a project that I want them for. I will also be looking for a 6 or 8" jointer with helical blades so by keeping the bandsaw price down a bit I don't feel so bad spending more on a decent jointer.

It basically all comes down to being practical. I like and will pay for good equipment, but there is a balance to be had with how much I will use them. I am fairly set on a 3HP motor in either size simply so I can resaw without worrying about things bogging down and not cursing for having to move at a snails pace.

I believe the 10-347 is what I would get if I really wanted to spend $2500+ but I think it's really just more saw than I need and at some point I have to just say its more money than it's worth for my use. If Morgan doesn't get back to me next week with something, I will just keep an eye on the Harvey 14CX for a sale in the next month. I may even offer the guy with the SUV $1200 and if he realizes the reality, that would be a fine saw for what I need and give me some more flexibility on my jointer purchase.

I appreciate everyone's input. I think I know what I am comfortable with now, just need to see what deal works out first.

Hey Jamie, I concur - I would have bought the 10-347 as well, but like you it’s a hobby and with little kids I don’t get a ton of use out of my 10-353 at the moment.

I wanted to give you a heads up that Injust got an email from Harvey and they knocked the price down on the C14 14” saw to $1399 with $249 shipping - gets you under your $2k budget with money to spare - promo code is: 311088 - it’s a heck of price for anyone considering it is essentially a 14SUV with upgraded ball bearing guides with factory direct pricing.

Bernie Kopfer
12-05-2020, 12:38 PM
If possible I would suggest you look at a 14” and a 18” side by side. I just replaced my Laguna 14SE with a Rikon 347 and was amazed that the bigger saw fit in the original space without looking like it was jammed in. It simply was not that much bigger but the increased mass and capacity is wonderful. So if space is not at a premium for you I would encourage you to get a bigger saw. You won’t regret it. That said I had two Resaw King blades self destruct (cracks in the gullets) on the 14” wheels.

Alex Zeller
12-05-2020, 12:39 PM
I would rethink limiting yourself to a 14" saw. I went from a HF 14" Delta clone with a riser block to a 19" Grizzly. Over all footprint isn't that much bigger, not enough to make much of a difference. Really the only thing that did require more room was the doors for changing the blade. I bought it to cut turning blanks and just for general BS use. I have done some resawing on it but just because I wanted to try doing it. What I can say is the extra weight and beef of the machine makes a huge difference. Even for thin stuff. It just seams to cut with less resistance. With the larger wheels you can run thicker blades which is also a plus. If you are setting a limit of $2k I would look at everything in that price range.

Jamie Hoskins
12-05-2020, 5:03 PM
I fully understand the view that an 18 would be better and if I found an excellent condition used on in my price range, I would buy it. I simply don't see the value for what I am going to be doing where spending $800-1000 more for something (a 10-347) that is going to get used occasionally makes much sense. I am not going to be running a 1" resaw blade or doing resaw work much at all. Yes, there will be some and for what I do I am confident a 14" with a 3HP will be fine. I will probably have a 1/2 blade for most break down/resaw work and a 3/16 for any scroll type work. I am sure something will eventually come up where I will say "yeah, an 18" would have helped" , but to be honest for those rare occasion's (for me) there is always a workaround. I expect most of you are using your machine's way more than I will ever do. It's possible and quite likely this machine will sit 6 months and never get turned on at times.

That $800-1000 will go a long way in buying a new jointer as well. I have had some issues with Grizzly equipment before and am not a big fan so they really just aren't on my radar. They maybe should be, but just not something I am giving much real consideration.

I do appreciate all of the feedback.

Justin Rapp
12-05-2020, 5:58 PM
I fully understand the view that an 18 would be better and if I found an excellent condition used on in my price range, I would buy it. I simply don't see the value for what I am going to be doing where spending $800-1000 more for something (a 10-347) that is going to get used occasionally makes much sense. I am not going to be running a 1" resaw blade or doing resaw work much at all. Yes, there will be some and for what I do I am confident a 14" with a 3HP will be fine. I will probably have a 1/2 blade for most break down/resaw work and a 3/16 for any scroll type work. I am sure something will eventually come up where I will say "yeah, an 18" would have helped" , but to be honest for those rare occasion's (for me) there is always a workaround. I expect most of you are using your machine's way more than I will ever do. It's possible and quite likely this machine will sit 6 months and never get turned on at times.

That $800-1000 will go a long way in buying a new jointer as well. I have had some issues with Grizzly equipment before and am not a big fan so they really just aren't on my radar. They maybe should be, but just not something I am giving much real consideration.

I do appreciate all of the feedback.

I tend to agree with you Jamie. Everyone's use is different for the work they do, which is why there are so many options / sizes out there for all our tools. Not everyone needs the same set of tools. I went with a 14LT and it's done everyone I need it to do so far. I've done some resaw and use a Timberwolf 3/4 " resaw blade to make 1/4" boards. Get what you know you need for the work you do.

Alex Zeller
12-06-2020, 1:49 PM
I wouldn't spend more, I was just pointing out that if you've set a budget then I would look at the saws in that range. I'm sure the 10-347 is a good saw but I don't see the extra HP to be of any value for the tasks you have planned. There's plenty of saws in the sub $2000 (LT14 SUV price) range, assuming that's one of the saws you are looking at. I think the BX14 may be a better option, still plenty of hp, that would save money. The problem is, of course, is finding one in stock. Grizzly must be selling lots of tool as they seam to have the G0513 series always in stock. It's hard to beat the 513X2's $1250 price tag.

Dave Sabo
12-06-2020, 10:10 PM
but I don't see the extra HP to be of any value for the tasks you have planned

while I'm in agreement with you about staying on budget, I would say go for the most HP you can get.

Who starts a thread around here asking about downgrading a motor?

No one. Lot's of threads asking about upgrading because their current motor is under powered.

David Utterback
12-07-2020, 9:07 AM
My used 14 SUV was purchased for $1400 a couple of years ago. That included 5 blades plus the tall fence. It was in near new condition and has served my needs as a hobby tool. It has run both Laguna and Lennox carbide 1" blades without any problem so far. I am not a big fan of the ceramic guides which are difficult to tighten without moving out of alignment. Torque on the adjustment knobs twists the guide fixtures. Good luck!

Jamie Hoskins
12-07-2020, 2:16 PM
I offered the guy $1200 for the SUV and linked him to this discussion so maybe he would realize he is way too high. I didn't get a response but didn't really expect one either. To be fair someone less educated about things may come along and give him what he wants.

So on to my other options. Morgan had a Italian LT18, but it was $2900. Just not worth it for me. I asked him about an 8" jointer as well, but he doesn't have any of those either right now. Said it will probably be a month or two before he has more inventory at all.

I am compounding this entire decision as I also want to go ahead an get a jointer and am setting a budget of no more than 4k all in for both with 3k being more desirable. I am trying to be realistic without cutting my legs out from under me. It is going to be a balance of what to give up on one to get something on the other. I am starting to look at Grizzly a little closer. It may be my only real option without trying to scour CL on a regular basis and that's not really my thing.

Justin Rapp
12-07-2020, 2:29 PM
I offered the guy $1200 for the SUV and linked him to this discussion so maybe he would realize he is way too high. I didn't get a response but didn't really expect one either. To be fair someone less educated about things may come along and give him what he wants.

So on to my other options. Morgan had a Italian LT18, but it was $2900. Just not worth it for me. I asked him about an 8" jointer as well, but he doesn't have any of those either right now. Said it will probably be a month or two before he has more inventory at all.

I am compounding this entire decision as I also want to go ahead an get a jointer and am setting a budget of no more than 4k all in for both with 3k being more desirable. I am trying to be realistic without cutting my legs out from under me. It is going to be a balance of what to give up on one to get something on the other. I am starting to look at Grizzly a little closer. It may be my only real option without trying to scour CL on a regular basis and that's not really my thing.

Jamie,

That is kind of funny that I was just e-mailing back and forth this morning with Morgan asking if he could get a status for me on the dust collector I ordered from a retail store. If you do go for a Laguna jointer, I have the 6" model and it's fantastic. Smooth, quite, table is flat as can be. I should have got the 8" but had a budget.

Alex Zeller
12-07-2020, 4:07 PM
If you do go with Grizzly don't have them ship it using New Penn (I think they are only for the north east so it may not be an option).

Ira Matheny
12-07-2020, 9:57 PM
Just my two cents............
I've owned several band saws.
Delta Homecraft 10', 1/2 hp, [not a bad LITTLE saw, but a little saw]
Delta 14", 1 hp, [good and dependable, a well know and respected tool]
16" Laguna 3hp, [best band saw I've ever used!]
18" Grizzly, 2 hp???, [so bad I gave it away, YES, I could not sll it to anyone]
36" Yates American, 5 hp 3/ph. [a monster, great for serious work.]
I've used others on a 'single-use' or 'infrequent' basis.
Laguna 14" SUV, [3 hp???] [a top tool],
Powermatic 14". [used once, worked fine].
Jet 14", [I bit 'Iffy' but I was able to get thru the minor, multi-step project]
I've ZERO knowledge of Rikon.
As I said, just my observations, 2-cent worth.

Jim Becker
12-08-2020, 10:04 AM
One of the reasons I personally favor the larger bandsaw is that it makes the machine a whole lot more versatile and that can be a nice thing in a smaller shop. Bigger, table, more weight, more power isn't a horrible thing. I've been using mine more and more for ripping heavy stock, especially when there's a bit of tension in the boards. It's far safer to do it that way than on a table saw That's just one example.

Jamie Hoskins
12-08-2020, 12:03 PM
Well, this old Laguna 18 450 came up near me. Looks to be in good shape. From 1996 with a 4HP motor. He is asking 3k which is obviously way high. What do you guys think of it? I think it is still hooked up so I could go see it run. He's about an hour from me.

I tend to overvalue things so curious what you guys think. I know I can get a new (demo) Italian LT18 from Morgan for 2900 so I am thinking $1500 max, but closer to $1000 is where I would start. It does have some extra blades. I also expect I may need to add a new fence, but not sure.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-8trTNH5/0/3f75366b/XL/i-8trTNH5-XL.jpg

richard poitras
12-08-2020, 12:57 PM
I love the ceramic guides on my Laguna saw as I have had other saws but the ceramic guides are the way to go...

Justin Rapp
12-08-2020, 1:53 PM
25 year old saw vs new Italian LT18 is a no brainer for me if the price is similar. If you are willing to dig into your pocket for 3k i'd be looking at the new one. 25 years of use might be looking at some maintenance items also. The LT18 is a $3900 saw, so if Morgan can send you the certified demo for 3k, well i know which i would pick. And you get a 5hp motor.

Now if you remind the seller that new 18BX can be had for 2,000, and you'd if he drops his price to $1000 and it's in perfect working shape, than it might be a good buy.

Jamie Hoskins
12-08-2020, 4:39 PM
Well I at least made one decision. Ordered a Shop Fox W1741H jointer. 8" with Parallelogram bed and Helical head. Basically the Grizzly G0490X with the Helical Head vs Spiral and 2 Year warranty instead of 1. Looks like the inserts are 15mm vs 14mm on the Grizzly. Found it for almost $500 less than the Grizzly after tax so was kind of a no brainer. It's a China product and not Taiwan, but hoping the 2 years gives me plenty of time for any issues to arise. Was $1577 delivered so that free's up a decent chunk for the bandsaw.

I bet you guys get tired of these "what to buy" threads so thank you for the feedback and patience.

Alex Zeller
12-08-2020, 5:53 PM
Nice. I was all set on buying that exact jointer when a used Powermatic (but so new the cosmoline still hadn't been fully cleaned off) showed up on Facebook for about the same money. I do like the multi rib belt they use vs the standard v-belt.

Melvin Feng
12-08-2020, 6:18 PM
I'd agree about the old saw vs getting a new LT18. If you really are going up to $3k though, I'd recommend you look more carefully at the Rikon 10-347 which has a 4 HP motor and 19" resaw height for $2600.

As far as ceramic guides, you will decide on what you prefer for guides. The laguna ceramic guides are quite polarizing, you have people that absolutely love them, and then people that truly hate them. I am in the camp of really liking them on my 18 BX. If you can't find one physically in stock though, I can't in good conscience recommend you order one right now though, as you will have no idea when Laguna will actually follow through and deliver it to you.

I also wouldn't worry about asking for recommendations. I, for one, enjoy spending other people's money! It is always a fun exercise for me to think about what the best piece of equipment would be for a given set of needs and a set budget. It actually helps me personally when I see other people's opinions so that when I am deciding on my own tooling in the future, I have a better perspective and process to figure out what is best for myself.

One thing that I would say about an 18" vs 14" bandsaw, is that you gain a lot of capability, and the foot print of the machine doesn't actually change all that much. Power requirements definitely change though, so you'd need to make sure you can pull the circuit that you would need for more power. Like you said as well, you don't foresee yourself using it much, which is also important.

I will add that for myself, getting the bigger bandsaw opened up a lot of possibilities for me that I didn't fully realize until after I had the saw. For example, I am doing more and more of my own milling, and recently setup my 56" chainsaw mill because I can process further with the bandsaw with what I've learned with processing smaller pieces on the bandsaw, resawing up to 16", as well as trimming, cutting bowl blanks for the lathe, etc. I also added a miter gauge and a taper sled so that I could cut these on the bandsaw (though if you have a good table saw that would be the better tool). I also built a log cross cutting sled and a small log milling sled. The bigger bandsaw allows me to process logs directly on it that are up to 16" in diameter, and not have to break out the chainsaw if I don't want to. These are the kinds of projects that interest me now though, and if you don't foresee yourself ever getting into this aspect of woodworking, then you can ignore this last paragraph!

Jamie Hoskins
12-17-2020, 10:30 AM
So I had basically convinced myself that the Rikon 10-347 was the way to go. I then mocked up what a table height of 33-1/2 Inches would be and thought how can anyone work with this. Does anyone have this with the mobility kit and does it move it up a couple of inches? I may be able to swallow a table at 35 inches, but have major concerns about 33 inches since my main use will not be resawing.

I wish the 18BX wasn't so far away from delivery or I would do that. I really want quick adjust guides so the Grizzly is a third choice but it is looking like that may be the way I have to go.

Cliff Polubinsky
12-17-2020, 10:46 AM
Jamie,

I have the mobility kit on my 10-347 and it doesn't raise the saw much. Maybe an inch. The height hasn't been a problem so far.

Cliff

Jamie Hoskins
12-17-2020, 10:53 AM
Thanks Cliff. I can't seem to find one close to me to look. Just trying to avoid buyers remorse. Then again for how often I will be using it, that probably isn't going to happen, but I would rather feel like I know exactly what I am getting before taking the plunge.

Alex Zeller
12-17-2020, 2:27 PM
Going higher shouldn't be a problem. My Grizzly BS sits on it's steel frame but there's holes in each corner so if I wanted I could install adjustable equipment leveling feet. They make them in different lengths so if you needed a couple of inches of height but not a mobile base they would work. As for a mobile base, I had to raise up my PM66 because the 4" dust port was hitting one of the cross tubes. I got 4 long fully threaded 1/2" bolts. I drilled holes in the flat part of the mobile base that holds the tool that matched up with the holes in the saw's base. I put the 1/2" bolts from the bottom up with a nut securing them to the base and then put a second nut at the height I wanted the base to be at. Finally after sliding the saw onto the bolts I put a third nut securing it to the base. I think I had to go up about 2". However you could just make a base out of 2x's to get an 1 1/2"

Zachary Hoyt
12-17-2020, 2:49 PM
I'm not clear if the table is too low or too high to suit you. I have a Jet 18" saw that I got at an estate auction for $320, and I made a 10" high wood base for it, to get the table up more to my height. I wouldn't mind if it was even a bit higher, maybe someday. If the table is too high of course this won't help, but it takes no time to raise up a low one if you have a piece of 8x8 or 6x6 and a piece of 2x4 and some nails.

Mitchell Ristine
12-17-2020, 3:00 PM
I was just emailing with Morgan at Laguna. He's got a 14SUV for $1,300.00. Probably worth investigating. Not sure I'd pay more than $1,200 for that 15 year old Laguna.

George Yetka
12-17-2020, 3:04 PM
I paid 1650 for the laguna new from rockler with a blade. Im not sure if that helps you in any way or when this saw went up in price but maybe if you find out how old the saw is you can get a better idea of what he paid and offer him 80% or so. 1800 seams high even if he paid 2000.

It is a good saw but the stock fence could use some work

Jamie Hoskins
12-17-2020, 5:49 PM
Thanks All. I am concerned about it being too low. I am 6'1" and most of my work will be 8" or smaller in height and I don't have the best back, so bending over for extended periods to do things is not my friend. I like the extra throat capacity is my main draw to the 18"+ saws or I would go ahead an get a 14".

The 18BX at 38" is much better and the Grizzly is at 37.5. I don't know if I will use a mobile base or not, but if it would get me closer to the height I think I would prefer, it could have an impact. I am not a fan of building bases, etc to raise things much beyond what they are designed at so probably not going to go that route to raise something 5 or 6 inches.

If the G0514X2B goes on sale, I may just do that. Another option is to tell Morgan I want the next 18BX that comes in and just pay for it and wait and hope it is before April/May. Nothing like being indecisive :)

Dave Sabo
12-17-2020, 7:28 PM
Well, this old Laguna 18 450 came up near me. Looks to be in good shape. From 1996 with a 4HP motor. He is asking 3k

That's a very early Laguna made by Meber. Before Laguna went to the grey color scheme and LT branding. If it really has a 4hp motor , then it's been replaced because 4 hp would not have been standard in that era. 2 - 2 1/2 from the factory would be about right.

3 grand is crazy stooooopid pricing. That saw cost half that NEW ! Realistically its a $1000 -$1500 saw . Tops. And that's if it has a 4hp American motor, the tires are not glazed over, and the bearings are smooth. $400 -$500 if it needs work.

Jamie Hoskins
12-17-2020, 7:49 PM
That's a very early Laguna made by Meber. Before Laguna went to the grey color scheme and LT branding. If it really has a 4hp motor , then it's been replaced because 4 hp would not have been standard in that era. 2 - 2 1/2 from the factory would be about right.

3 grand is crazy stooooopid pricing. That saw cost half that NEW ! Realistically its a $1000 -$1500 saw . Tops. And that's if it has a 4hp American motor, the tires are not glazed over, and the bearings are smooth. $400 -$500 if it needs work.

Seems to be original, but who knows. This is a picture of the motor plate. Says 2.64 KW which comes out to about 3.5HP. They didn't respond to my inquiry so I didn't spend much time on it.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-hQS6kXC/0/2725ca81/M/i-hQS6kXC-M.jpg

Zachary Hoyt
12-17-2020, 10:38 PM
I'm just over 7 feet, so I had to raise the bandsaw to be at all comfortable. I also made saw horse style legs for my Shopsmith from 8/4 ash that raise it up about 16 inches above where it was with the metal legs. Sometimes I spend a few hours at a time if I have several banjo rims to turn on the lathe, and my back would get tired from bending too long.

David Publicover
12-18-2020, 6:33 AM
I have a Laguna 18BX on their mobile base and the table is 37.5” high. FYI.

Jamie Hoskins
12-18-2020, 11:51 AM
I have a Laguna 18BX on their mobile base and the table is 37.5” high. FYI.

Thanks. I can live with that. I am going to email Morgan at Laguna and have him put me on a list for when he gets one.

Justin Rapp
12-18-2020, 2:48 PM
Thanks. I can live with that. I am going to email Morgan at Laguna and have him put me on a list for when he gets one.

He is pretty good with this - I was on the list for a 14bx and out of the blue - got the call.

Sanford Imhoff
12-18-2020, 5:22 PM
There were two Laguna SUV's recently listed on Craigslist in the Chicago burbs. Almost identical and both came with 3-4 nice blades (timberwolf resaw, etc.), mobility kits, and, low use. One owner said the blades and moblity came as a kit when he bought it. One listed for $1200, the other for $1250. Both sold.

David Publicover
12-18-2020, 5:31 PM

Good luck with it. I really like mine. My dealer had both the 14 and the 18bx side by side this fall in their showroom. The 14 is a nice saw but the 18 seemed worth the up charge to me. I have a small shop and was concerned about fitting it in but it doesn’t take up significantly more space than my old 15” saw.