PDA

View Full Version : Idea for moving equipment into basement

Charlie Kocourek
01-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I just wanted to let you know how I move heavy equipment into a basement. Since I am not getting any younger and neither are any of my friends, and also since I never was built for moving 400-500 pound tools down stairways. I hire a PIANO MOVER. No damage to my walls or doorways, no hurt backs, no disasembleing the machinery, no damage of any kind. I find it is well worth the money.

Rick Thom
01-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Charlie, does that mean you now have a piano in your basement shop? Music is a good thing. And here I though a nice radio was top drawer!
Seriously, I think that is a very wise choice for many of us, regardless of age.

Keith Outten
01-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks Charlie.

Yours is good advice that many would not have considered. If I had to move anything heavy down a flight of stairs I think I would prefer to watch rather then lift.

Dan Larson
01-03-2006, 1:22 PM
Charlie, brilliant minds think alike- I did the same thing. Worked out great! When I was searching for piano movers to move some heavy equipment into my basement, I called the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra and asked which piano moving company they used. I figured that if the movers were good enough for them, they would be good enough for me. As it turns out, they did an excellent job. Not a scratch on any of the tools, the house, and nobody got hurt. All for a very reasonable price!

Dan

Rob Russell
01-03-2006, 1:30 PM
That's an interesting idea, provided the machinery doesn't require any disassembly for the move.

Tyler Howell
01-03-2006, 1:31 PM
Me Three. The only way to go with these bad knees. They were able to sling the PM 66 just fine, but I wasn't sure they were going to be able to get the DJ 20 in place.:eek: :eek: .
They work by the hour so I had some 3/4 MDF lined up for them to haul, walk the dog, take out the garbage and wash the dishes too.:D ;)

Jarrod Nelson
01-03-2006, 1:54 PM
At 34 years old, I'm not as smart as you guys yet. I just gut it out and deal with a sore back (and a wife saying "I told you so") for a few days. :D

Jeff Sudmeier
01-03-2006, 2:41 PM
Jarrod, agreed!

Gary Herrmann
01-03-2006, 3:03 PM
I've had 3 knee surgeries. I even had to give up hoops last year. :mad:

Moving the BS downstairs was unpleasant, so when the TS arrived, I hired someone. Money wisely spent. I wasn't even home - my wife organized the whole thing - definitely a keeper.

Yes, I mean the wife.

Ed Breen
01-03-2006, 3:52 PM
Oh Yeah!!

As a boy my family lived in walk up apartment houses in New York city. My Mother had a baby grand that always moved with us. I can still remember the men removing the window in the living room and swinging the piano either out or in!
Good way to save a back!!
Ed

Dave Avery
01-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Good evening gent's,

Anybody who hired the job out willing to let on what they paid? I'm getting tired of struggling with "hobbiest" equipment in my modest basement shop, but good stuff weighs a ton......... thanks and all the best. Dave.

Rob Will
01-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Good evening gent's,

Anybody who hired the job out willing to let on what they paid? I'm getting tired of struggling with "hobbiest" equipment in my modest basement shop, but good stuff weighs a ton......... thanks and all the best. Dave.

My basement is too small......
I'm going to set the "heavy iron" in place and build a new building around it. I suppose moving the house is out of the Question?:D

Rob

Bret Olmsted
01-03-2006, 11:33 PM
This guy has a good website (with pictures!) on how he had his Felder delivered to his basement:

http://www.arden.org/photos/2004Felder/

-Bret

Dan Larson
01-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Good evening gent's,

Dave, as I recall, I paid ~$300 to have three 500+ lbs. tools down into my basement. Very fair deal in my book.

Dan

Dave Avery
01-04-2006, 8:28 AM
Dave, as I recall, I paid ~$300 to have three 500+ lbs. tools down into my basement. Very fair deal in my book.

Dan

Thanks Dan

Charlie Kocourek
01-04-2006, 8:50 AM
I paid $150.00 each at seperate times to move first a bandsaw that weighs 450 pounds and then a TS which is over 450 pounds.