PDA

View Full Version : router bit sharpening-

Dave Burson
12-03-2020, 11:01 AM
Who do y'all use to sharpen your router bits? If you've done it recently, any input on cost/turn around time?
TIA!! Dave

Jim Becker
12-03-2020, 12:55 PM
There are places like Vortex Tool and Connecticut Tool that will sharpen router tooling, but these services are expensive and mostly leveraged by CNC users with larger, more expensive cutters where it pays to do sharpening. For common router bits that have carbide edges brazed on, a diamond sharpening stick will help remediate the edge...you only work on the face so you don't change the geometry. It's not really cost effective to use a service for these kinds of tooling as replacements are available for the same and sometimes lower cost than sharpening. I use a lot of tooling with my CNC and just consider them disposables as even the .5" stuff isn't super expensive to replace. For those things that I do favor a sharp edge all the time, I use insert cutters that I can quickly just rotate/replace the edge by design. More cost up-front, but less cost long term for frequently used tooling, such as V-bits and flat "spoilboard" cutters that I also use to surface small slabs.

Vince Shriver
12-03-2020, 7:09 PM
I've used Dynamic Saw Inc., in Buffalo NY for 1/4", 1/2" and spiral bits. I didn't think their prices were exorbitant and was happy with their work.

Mike Kees
12-05-2020, 11:16 AM
Jim how much do you pay ? I send router bits to a sharpener in Calgary that charges $5 each. I usually pay $30-40 for bits so it is well worth it to sharpen for me.

Jim Becker
12-05-2020, 11:18 AM
Jim how much do you pay ? I send router bits to a sharpener in Calgary that charges $5 each. I usually pay $30-40 for bits so it is well worth it to sharpen for me.

I don't send them out...I'll touch up the few brazed cutters I use at the router table with a diamond hone (I don't use them all that much anyway), but the spirals I use on the CNC are considered "disposables". For insert tooling, I just rotate the cutters and replace when all four edges are toast.

Julie Moriarty
12-05-2020, 12:51 PM
M-power makes a diamond stone designed for sharpening carbide tipped router bits. It works pretty well.