PDA

View Full Version : Will this damage my miter saw?

Dan Gaylin
12-03-2020, 10:46 AM
I am wondering if storing a nice miter saw in the vertical position on one of these stands (with the stand folded upright and the saw oriented 90 degrees from the position it is used for sawing) with gravity pulling down on the saw: is this harmful to the saw if stored this way for extended periods of time?

Thanks

-Dan

Charles Lent
12-03-2020, 12:14 PM
It hasn't affected mine in 10 + years, so I doubt that you will have any problems. My saw is A Delta, one of the last made before the company changed hands. It has the double laser cut line generators on it, but I'm not near the saw, so can't provide the model number.

Charley

Dan Gaylin
12-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Thanks Charley, much appreciated.

Jim Becker
12-03-2020, 12:57 PM
I also doubt there will be an issue. If you can lock the unit with the head/blade fully down to the table (my very old Delta provides for this) so much the better and it reduces the total size of the stored assembly, too. Just be careful that however the folded up assembly is stored that it's supported/contained so it can't fall and that you can safely retrieve it in the same manner. It's going to be heavy...

Doug Dawson
12-03-2020, 1:30 PM
I am wondering if storing a nice miter saw in the vertical position on one of these stands (with the stand folded upright and the saw oriented 90 degrees from the position it is used for sawing) with gravity pulling down on the saw: is this harmful to the saw if stored this way for extended periods of time?

Hmmm, I wonder if you could simply mount it permanently on the wall and _use_ it that way. It would save many people’s problems with the amount of space they take. It might be a little disorienting the first few times.

Dan Gaylin
12-04-2020, 8:05 AM
Thanks Jim. That’s very helpful.

Dick Mahany
12-04-2020, 8:53 AM
I doubt there would be any problem. I had a Bosch SCMS on a folding stand and it spent most of it's life stored vertically with the miter table at 45°. Due to limited shop space I only set the stand up during use. I had zero problems over 8 years.

lowell holmes
12-04-2020, 10:25 AM
Mine has been on a stand for many years, with no issues.

Dan Gaylin
12-11-2020, 11:54 AM
Thanks Dick and Lowell, much appreciated. I went ahead and bought one.

Bill Dufour
12-11-2020, 1:37 PM
Only possible problem is spring fatigue. A spring should be stored in its relaxed position for maximum life. Honestly I have never heard of a spring failure in a chop saw. And many are stored with the spring compressed and locked down. Are there any zero clearance pieces that are only held by gravity?
Bill D