PDA

View Full Version : What I Did On My Christmas Vacation (...followup to a rant - w/pics)

scott spencer
01-03-2006, 11:07 AM
My Brother's MIL's Coffee Table From H-E-doubetoothpicks!

Last week I posted about agreeing to shorten an alleged cherry coffee table for my brother's MIL and then regretting agreeing to it. It turned out to be birch veneer over junk, which made it no where near as fun, posed a few additional probs, and will never ever look as good as cherry. I decided to forge on with it, as I was sure that they'd be happy with whatever they got, plus if she didn't like it, my brother would have to hear about it and not me! :D The challenge was kind of interesting too...:rolleyes:

The request was to shorten the table, and turn the top into drop leaves. The legs were mounted to a rectangular shelf pedestal which needed to be shortened about 8". Since it turned out to be veneer, I had to trim the routed hardwood edge off, trim the rectangular base, then reattach the routed edge as molding, then reattach the legs. Note the elliptical shape of the top...that required that I attach the top to a temporary rectangular subbase as a reference before crosscutting the ends. Next I needed to rout the drop leaf contours in the junk board ends...ugly at best...stained of course. :cool: Then I needed to add some pullouts to support the leaves when raised. I touched up the wear marks with a furniture marker and gave it a coat of tung oil to shine it up a bit and detract from the nasty looking seams on the leaves. It looks "OK"...I'm glad it's not going to a paying customer or my MIL for that matter! ;)

Mark Rios
01-03-2006, 11:20 AM
MAN....very nice save Scott. Well done.

Hey look.......my neighbors mom has this cherry and teak bookcase and I was wondering..............................:D :D :D

Jesse Cloud
01-03-2006, 11:26 AM
If the old saying is true, then you are due some very good fortune! I'm doubly inspired by your story: 1)be careful what you sign up for, and 2) stick with it and make good your promises. Thanks for taking the high road on this one. When I read your first post I was thinking this is crazy, why doesn't he just say no - now I see why.

Steven Shelby
01-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Scott, my friend! You clearly get my early vote for 2006 Save Of The Year! You really did a spectacular job on this one! Congratulations on sticking it out and pulling it off!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2006, 1:07 PM
Very nice Scott. That is a job well done.

Jim Becker
01-03-2006, 2:11 PM
Well...it's done! And I think the results are great considering the challenges. Nice job!

Jay Knoll
01-03-2006, 2:43 PM
Great looking job Scott, I know it isn't fun to have to cobble something together from "crummy stuff" but you sure did it with style.

Jay

scott spencer
01-03-2006, 2:52 PM
Scott, my friend! You clearly get my early vote for 2006 Save Of The Year! You really did a spectacular job on this one! Congratulations on sticking it out and pulling it off!! Thanks Steven! I'll cherish your "award" for however many hours I can hold on to it! ... :D