PDA

View Full Version : Coasters and Trivets

Barbara Buhse
01-03-2006, 10:50 AM
I've finally figured out how to get these pictures up...

These were something a little different for me. I made the trivets for the craft show booth, and the coasters are a sample of custom made sets that I make.
The trivets are obviously painted. Those tiles were glazed and the paint sticks where the engraving is.
The coasters are unglazed tumbled marble, and give a nice white on white effect. I use othere colors of tumbled marble too, but I don't have a picture right now... everyone seems to love these things, especially the coasters, since they are custom engraved with names, and personalized designs.

I don't know much about engraving on stone, but I thought I'd give it a try.

The attached picures are not the best, but you get the idea...

Barbara

Bruce Volden
01-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Barbara,

I see nothing!!??

Bruce

Barbara Buhse
01-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Bruce, you were looking as I was editing... they should be there now, I just wish the pictures were a bit clearer.

Barbara

Joe Pelonio
01-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Nice work, Barbara, thanks for posting. How did you do at the show? Did you get any ideas of what to make more or less of for next time?

Bruce Volden
01-03-2006, 1:02 PM
Barbara,

I see!! Nice job, I hope they are good sellers for you!

Bruce

Barbara Buhse
01-03-2006, 2:20 PM
Nice work, Barbara, thanks for posting. How did you do at the show? Did you get any ideas of what to make more or less of for next time?

The December show was GREAT. I sold over 150 ornaments (remember the price dilema? I decided on 3 for $10 and I think that was a good decision).
The trivets did well, and I got alot of orders for plaques with photos.
Most important, some of those customers are still bringing me repeat business and recommendations.

The trivets did really well. I did not have sample coasters at the shows, so I will definitely have them for the spring shows.

Barbara

Barbara Buhse
01-03-2006, 2:22 PM
Barbara,

I see!! Nice job, I hope they are good sellers for you!

Bruce

So I'm told... coasters are the perfect gift for "extended" family members and aquaintances... (aunts and uncles, co-workers).

Barbara

Lee DeRaud
01-03-2006, 3:23 PM
So I'm told... coasters are the perfect gift for "extended" family members and aquaintances... (aunts and uncles, co-workers).No kidding: I gave away six sets this Christmas.

What are you putting on the back side?

Barbara Buhse
01-04-2006, 9:18 AM
No kidding: I gave away six sets this Christmas.

What are you putting on the back side?

Since experiments with felt failed (the color ran out of it when wet) I used little sticky plastic feet. Since these tumbled marble tiles are so heavy, using the feet also protects against accidentally scratching your table since the feet hold it up off the surface too.

I wish I could make those beautiful wood coasters you posted a while ago... (I'm STILL working on Jerry Garcias picture!)

Barbara

Lee DeRaud
01-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Since experiments with felt failed (the color ran out of it when wet) I used little sticky plastic feet. Since these tumbled marble tiles are so heavy, using the feet also protects against accidentally scratching your table since the feet hold it up off the surface too.If the tiles are fairly smooth/flat on the back (and I know a lot of them are not), the cork stuff I use will work. It's 1/16" thick, self-adhesive, made by the "Contact" shelf paper people...found it at the Borg in the home decor section and (I think) Ace hardware carries it also. It lasers well and looks just like the backing on the sandstone coasters I've had for years.

Lee DeRaud
01-04-2006, 10:40 AM
(I'm STILL working on Jerry Garcias picture!)Want a cheap/quick way to experiment/prototype with that? Pick up a couple sheets of photo matte board in various "woodish" colors: cuts really fast, way less tempermental than wood veneer...not to mention cheaper. For fine detail (pieces too small to cut), you can just raster away the color layer to get the white underneath.

Joe Pelonio
01-04-2006, 10:49 AM
If the tiles are fairly smooth/flat on the back (and I know a lot of them are not), the cork stuff I use will work. It's 1/16" thick, self-adhesive, made by the "Contact" shelf paper people...found it at the Borg in the home decor section and (I think) Ace hardware carries it also. It lasers well and looks just like the backing on the sandstone coasters I've had for years.
I use cork too, though I buy the roll stuff and glue it on. The nice thing too is that you can rastor your website on it when you cut it, so people whoe see them later can contact you to order their own. I also had some problems with felt, mainly stretching.

Lee DeRaud
01-04-2006, 11:16 AM
I use cork too, though I buy the roll stuff and glue it on.The stuff I buy comes in 12x48 or 18x48 rolls. It also comes without the adhesive...first set I did was non-adhesive, using 3M spray glue: never again.:eek:
The nice thing too is that you can rastor your website on it when you cut it, so people whoe see them later can contact you to order their own. For the wood coasters, I "sign" the back of the actual coaster and cut a window in the cork for it to show through, but I'll keep that trick in mind.

Barbara Buhse
01-04-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm going to try the cork , that might look nicer on the back of the tiles, and I can raster my logo into it too.
Thanks for the tip...Ace Hardware is right around the corner too.

Barbara