PDA

View Full Version : CaCl woes

Tom Bender
12-01-2020, 10:03 AM
Last year I got 2 bags of Calcium Chloride for the driveway because there was no salt available. I keep it in a bucket by the door. Put it away in a cabinet in summer. Got it out and it's solidified. Used a masonry chisel to break some of it up but may never get it all out of the bucket. I'll try water, a slurry should work ok. The unopened second bag is still loose so it should be ok.

Jim Becker
12-01-2020, 10:06 AM
Yea, this is a common issue once the bag is opened....the stuff absorbs moisture.

Kev Williams
12-01-2020, 11:46 AM
You may find once you get past the first inch or two of hardened stuff that the remainder won't be as bad to break up...

Jim Matthews
12-01-2020, 1:16 PM
Apply brine to your driveway?

Maybe leave it soaking in your pump sprayer....

https://www.agrisupply.com/images/xxl/105700.jpg

Steve Wurster
12-01-2020, 1:18 PM
What I've done is dump what I can into one of those Borg buckets (mine is a Lowe's brand; they're all the same). Those keep the moisture out and then you don't have to break it apart the next winter. Now, what's left over in the bag (if any)... I use some kind of planting or weeding tool I found in the garage to break that apart as needed.

Frank Pratt
12-01-2020, 2:34 PM
The City here in Calgary applies a liquid brine solution to the roads in advance of a storm. It's more effective at keeping the ice forming than applying it dry.

Steve Demuth
12-01-2020, 3:21 PM
Water will get it out. If you've got the room, spreading the resulting slurry in a very dry environment on plastic sheeting will make it easy to break back into flakes.

Bill Dufour
12-01-2020, 4:28 PM
I get empty screw top buckets for pool chlorine from my sister.
Bill D.