PDA

View Full Version : Good inexpensive drawer slides

Matt Day
11-30-2020, 4:10 PM
I’m redoing some kitchen drawers and need some full extension slow close slides (side mounted, 22”). And man these can break the bank when you a bunch! I need 16, and when the nicer Blum or KV’s are $30 each that’s $500 just in slides.

So I’ve been looking at some more value priced slides. There are a lot on amazon, and seem to get great reviews, such as Liberty, Gobrico, Lontan, and Promark.

Does anyone have any experience with these? The only things I seem to fine online other than Amazon seem to be fabricated websites or YouTube videos with reviews.

We’re talking $500 vs $200, so that’s a pretty big difference.

Jon Grider
11-30-2020, 4:40 PM
Can't speak for all the brands you mentioned, but to save $$ I used Liberty 100# side mounts on some shop drawers. They are adequate, but not great. I do have one drawer pretty full ,but nowhere near 100# and it racks out some. The lighter drawers work OK.

Bruce King
11-30-2020, 5:12 PM
I think these guys are still the best deal
https://ahturf.com/hardware/blum-products.html

Brian Runau
11-30-2020, 5:16 PM
I use Grass undermount slides because they are a much better value than Blum or KV. Work well for me. They offer ball bearing side mount units.

https://www.grassusa.com/products/ball-bearing/

Thanks.

Brian

Richard Coers
11-30-2020, 5:19 PM
In my book, the kitchen is no place to cheap out on drawer slides. Unless you are remodeling to sell the house.

David Kreuzberg
11-30-2020, 5:22 PM
How 'bout these from Custom Service Hardware:

lhttps://www.cshardware.com/g-slide-4270-series-soft-close-full-extension-ball-bearing-drawer-slides-100-lb-capacity-550mm-21-65.html

Andrew Seemann
11-30-2020, 5:25 PM
Check what Menards has. I think Hickory is the line they carry. I've used them on some shop things and they seem to work fine. Plus you can try a few and see if you like them before committing to all 16.

Lisa Starr
11-30-2020, 7:37 PM
I've used Hawthorne & Reid from ovisonline.com a couple of times and have had good luck.

Jim Becker
11-30-2020, 8:31 PM
Most of the full extensions I've used came from Lee Valley, but I know you can buy ten packs of them from Amazon for pretty darn good prices if you don't mind no-name brands.

Steve Eure
11-30-2020, 9:17 PM
I ordered the Promark brand off of the net earlier this year. They had a 10 count for around $70 if I'm not mistaken. I used several in my shop cabinet build for my lathe accessories and they do great even though I'm close to the max weight limit on a few drawers. I used the rest in my kitchen for lower cabinet pull-outs for our pots and cast iron skillets, etc. No issues, no problems. I would buy them again if needed because of the price, compared to the others that are much more expensive.

Steve Rozmiarek
11-30-2020, 9:17 PM
Those are not good prices, 22" side mounts should be closer to half that price. We use Hettich pretty often, a box of 5 pairs is $60 from a borg, cheaper from our cabinet materials supplier, they work fine.

Rich Aldrich
11-30-2020, 9:24 PM
I used Promark for my shop cabinet - miter saw station - I built last December. They work well. They are 26" slides. I put quite a bit of weight on them and so far, they held up well.

Matt Day
11-30-2020, 9:57 PM
Those are not good prices, 22" side mounts should be closer to half that price. We use Hettich pretty often, a box of 5 pairs is $60 from a borg, cheaper from our cabinet materials supplier, they work fine.

Those aren’t soft close. Soft close are $80 for 5 pair, or $16/pr.

Matt Day
11-30-2020, 9:57 PM
Good to hear about the positive reviews of Promark. Thanks

Ron Selzer
11-30-2020, 10:34 PM
Woodworker express

https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/Side-Mount-Ball-Bearing-Slides/?sort=price&sort_direction=0

Steve Rozmiarek
11-30-2020, 10:48 PM
Those aren’t soft close. Soft close are $80 for 5 pair, or $16/pr.

I actually think they are soft close, it says so in the specifications. It does say something confused in another place though, so dunno. Even so, $16 a pair is 1/2 the price you'd posted.

Dave Sabo
11-30-2020, 11:13 PM
In my book, the kitchen is no place to cheap out on drawer slides. Unless you are remodeling to sell the house.

Note to self:

Don't buy a house from Richard.

Jay Kepley
12-01-2020, 3:16 PM
I bought some inexpensive drawer slides from Custom Service Hardware. They were 14" slides. Cost about $5.00 per pair. I don't have much experience buying slides, but these were nice and work well.

Adam Herman
12-01-2020, 3:48 PM
value line at cabinet parts . com

https://www.cabinetparts.com/c/drawer-slides/side-mount-drawer-slides

I used the non-soft close for 16 cabinet pull outs and they were great with the rear mounting brackets. saved a ton over name brand.

Jim Dwight
12-01-2020, 6:21 PM
I used 22 inch Promark non-soft close 100% extension drawer slides recently for a cabinet in a utility room. I think they are pretty good. I used Y&Y soft close full extension slides a few months ago from Amazon, $75 for 10 pairs. I wouldn't recommend them although they work. Like a vanity in my bathroom I purchased, they require a significant amount of force to open. I think you are loading the mechanism or something. But they are soft close and they pretty much work. But I won't buy that brand again (probably doesn't exist now). My Kraftmade kitchen cabinets are definitely nicer than either of these types of drawer slides.

roger wiegand
12-01-2020, 7:10 PM
Is this your own kitchen? If so the difference between $200 and $500 may have you kicking yourself down the road. In our last three houses I've ended up building about 6 new drawer boxes that fell apart and replaced dozens of glides because the cheap ones installed failed. I have several drawers that need it now. Each of these has ended up being a multi-hour project, often involving creating structure to hang the glide on-- working inside a small box, standing on my ear, saying many bad words. I trust your cabinets are way better than that!

But broken cheap glides are no fun-- they don't work great to start with, after a while they start to fail and become more recalcitrant, then they break and I fight with the drawer for several months, putting off the inevitable, finally I do what is needed for the replacement. When I'm building for myself I use Blum; I've never had one fail in use. I'm sure that some of the other "name brands" are also fine and may carry less of a premium. I'd avoid the Ebay and Borg no-name cheapies like the plague.