PDA

View Full Version : 15-20 gal compressor

Cassius Nielsen
11-29-2020, 3:17 PM
I'm in the market for a 15-20 gal compressor for $300-$400. Looking to step up from my 6gal pancake compressor. Main reason is to expand my spraying time with lvlp guns. The pancake runs a mini gun fine for my needs, the full size drains it fairly quickly. I'm probably fine for now but the pancake is near new and I would like to sell it that way and put the money towards a compressor that would allow me more room to grow. Vertical was my first choice as I would like to take up vertical space instead of horizontal as my shop is basically non existent. Tools stay in the guest house and I break them out onto the patio. Compressor doesn't need to move but vertical fits in much nicer. I'd be willing to take some heat from the girlfriend and figure out a home for it if the belt/oiled horizontal compressor is that much better of a buy. The specific PC I found at Tractor supply does not fit into the floor plan exactly, but its the only one I have found in my price range that is belt drive/oiled which seems to be preferred. Using the patio as a workshop is not the end goal so there will eventually be more space. Also Tractor supply states 72 Dba which sounds nice but I am kind of doubtful. Not sure if this is an older model or something, but theres not a lot of info online about it. These are the two I have been looking at specifically. Any ideas which way I should lean? or another compressor in the price range that might fit my needs better? I had written off the 20gal husky/kobalt vertical compressors as it seemed they put out 1CFM less, but maybe the extra 5 gal over the Dewalt would off set this? Thanks guys.

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/dewalt-d55168-workshop-compressor-15-gallon

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/porter-cable-20-gallon-portable-belt-drive-air-compressor?cm_vc=-10005

Ray Newman
11-29-2020, 4:04 PM
Label me as old school, but based on my experience and that of a few others I know, go with an oil lubricated iron pump compressor.

Jim Becker
11-29-2020, 4:53 PM
IR GarageMate. It pushes your budget a little, but is a "big compressor" in a "smaller package" and will also run on 120v 20 amp.

Cliff Polubinsky
11-29-2020, 4:55 PM
Cassius,

I recently replaced my Craftsman air compressor with a Kobalt QUIET TECH 26-Gallon compressor from Lowes. The noise level of the Craftsman was really annoying. The Kobalt is quiet enough that you can carry on a conversation. It's also on sale until Dec 2.

Cliff

Doug Dawson
11-29-2020, 5:07 PM
Cassius,

I recently replaced my Craftsman air compressor with a Kobalt QUIET TECH 26-Gallon compressor from Lowes. The noise level of the Craftsman was really annoying. The Kobalt is quiet enough that you can carry on a conversation. It's also on sale until Dec 2.

Those things are _amazingly_ quiet for an oil-less, much quieter than my big oiled stationary compressor. I use it for my nailers. But the jury is still out on the life expectancy of them, as with any oil-less IMO.