PDA

View Full Version : ~20" bandsaw-- Old PM vs Euro machine?

roger wiegand
11-27-2020, 1:21 PM
I'm thinking it's time to upgrade from my 14" Delta bandsaw with riser block. I think the Delta is warped, I can't apply enough pressure by hand on the handwheel to properly tension the blade, if I torque on it with a wrench the top wheel hits the sheet metal case, probably not good.

I've been doing more re-sawing for bookmatched panels and making thick veneers and would like to be able to more shaping of logs prior to putting them on the lathe. Having a bigger table and a much more substantial and readily adjustable fence would be big goals of an upgrade. I'd like a lot more power for resawing. Finally, good dust collection and a brake would be very nice to have.

I have not put hands on any of the saws that I'm thinking about at this point.

Since I'm cheap I've been watching Craigslist religiously for a good used machine, but I'm not sure which direction to go. There have been several recent listings for older (green) Powermatic machines ranging from $1500-2500. There have been a couple SCM MM20 machines in the $3500-4000 range. There have been Grob saws that are older but look substantial in the $2K range. There was a Centauro a couple weeks ago that looked interesting. Not yet seen anything from Felder/Hammer.

It seems that going from the Powermatic to one of the Euro saws will jump the price by $1-2K, more if I go for a new European model. At this point I have a fairly strong prejudice towards a North American or European saw (I'm in love with my MiniMax J/P). Everything I've heard about the vacillating service from Laguna has put me off that line. For those of you who might have had the chance to use both sorts of saws, what are the tradeoffs?

Jim Becker
11-27-2020, 3:34 PM
What I happen to like about the Euro bandsaws is that very stiff welded steel frame...they can take the tension. Big, old cast iron is nice, too, but you need to find one that hasn't been beat to death. The MM20 and the Centauro (both made by the latter) are great machines, IMHO. I have the smaller MM16 and it's a great tool. Brian H has the larger MM20 (newer generation) and it's a "beast"...doesn't blink at tall, hard stuff one bit. I had a piece of 16" tall white oak over at his shop awhile back that ai needed sliced (it was too big for my saw) and it was like cutting butter...and dead accurate.

Bill Dufour
11-27-2020, 4:36 PM
rockwell or powermatic 20" saw should be under $1,000. or maybe $1,500 if variable speed with a welder. If they do not have a transmission make sure they run fast enough for wood and are not a metal only saw. Grob is a top brand but older models have a ton of belts to shift speeds.
Bil lD

David Kumm
11-27-2020, 4:50 PM
If you want a machine for primarily resawing, get a machine made to do that. Metalworking saws are slow running and generally run low tension blades. The best bang for the buck may be a 24" Centauro or ACM saw with a three phase motor. They tend to be priced the lowest used and a vfd will add about 300-400 to the cost. The MM 16 ( later model ) or 20 will tension for resawing but they tend to be priced higher on the used market as they are single phase and everyone is looking for one. The ACM, Felder, Bridgewood, certain Laguna machines are also an option. 20" is the smallest I'd go but the 24x17 are the sweet spot for resawing and tension. The three phase will be the best deal. Old cast iron saws that are great at resawing generally start in the 30" range. There are a few 24" cast iron machines but the 30" is much more common. The 20" cast iron saws were not designed as resaws so I don't consider them as an alternative to the 30". Dave

Alex Zeller
11-27-2020, 5:47 PM
If you're talking about the model 81 bandsaw most only have a 12" resaw capacity. However Powermatic did make a few model 81s with 24". Most seam to be 2hp and most likely 3 phase. But I did come across several that were 1hp and even one that was 5hp. In the end I didn't go with a Model 81 simply because of parts. They are heavy and one mistake moving it could lead to a broken table or trunnion. There's plenty of used parts out there if you don't mind searching. I just didn't want to spend time repairing a tool.

roger wiegand
11-27-2020, 5:52 PM
rockwell or powermatic 20" saw should be under $1,000. or maybe $1,500 if variable speed with a welder. If they do not have a transmission make sure they run fast enough for wood and are not a metal only saw. Grob is a top brand but older models have a ton of belts to shift speeds.
Bil lD

In our market, having been looking on and off for the better part of 10 years now, I've never seen one priced that low unless it has been trashed. I'm not willing to buy a machine where I have to spend a month scrubbing rust off-- I already have too many hobbies, I need to leave rescuing old iron to others.

roger wiegand
11-27-2020, 6:02 PM
Resawing is something that I only do from time to time-- to date I've been doing it on my 14" delta, which is clearly suboptimal, but can be made to work, albeit painfully. Though if it were a lot easier and more successful I'd probably do it more.

I do all kinds of projects in my shop, from antique restoration, to furniture building, to the occasional kitchen/bathroom cabinet, to woodturning. Lately I've been building Greene and Greene style furniture with lots of curved elements, and am starting to think seriously about making an organ. I turn while I'm stuck on other projects and need time to think them through, so I spend a lot of time at the lathe. So I think I need a saw that may not be perfect for any given task but will have capability to do a wide range of tasks reasonably well.

Alex Zeller
11-27-2020, 6:08 PM
IRS has an auction with a couple bandsaws right next to you. There's a Poitras 24" that will most likely sell for cheap. They are no longer in business so people usually don't bid the price up. They are made in Canada and were bought out by General. I think they sold equipment with and without motors so the end user could put what they wanted on the tool.

Richard Coers
11-27-2020, 6:35 PM
I'm guessing you've bent the tracking hinge on the top wheel on you 14" Delta. They are notorious for that, the weakest link that Delta never improved over all the decades they made that machine.

Jim Matthews
11-28-2020, 8:23 AM
I'm guessing you've bent the tracking hinge on the top wheel on you 14" Delta. They are notorious for that, the weakest link that Delta never improved over all the decades they made that machine.

This ^^^...

The footprint of the Delta 14 is nearly ideal for most shops. For less than the outlay for a replacement, an attempt to repair might be worthwhile.
(It will be tough to resell, as it is.)

A fresh blade and auxiliary table might do wonders.

I owned and sold a MM20 which required 240 vAC power,
was ponderous to work around (too tall for my basement, it could only fit in my garage) and was a PITA to move for brief projects.

If it was my money (and it isn't - none of us should presume to tell you what to buy) I would remove the riser block and put a 1/2" or 3/8" fine tooth blade on the Delta and use whatever comes with the Jet 18" when on-sale.

Factor the cost of shipping into purchases.

Mike Kees
11-28-2020, 6:56 PM
I have a Delta with riser block and a bigger motor that I spent way to much money on hoping to Resaw when I was done. I also have a Centauro CO 600 that I spent less on and it is an amazing saw. Huge table,3hp three phase motor and I can Resaw 14'' high after replacing the guides with carter guides. I use this saw to break down rough lumber on one side of my shop ,it sits right next to my jointer and planer. Most solid wood work begins on these three machines at my shop. Rips and Resaws very well all without wasting as much wood .I purchased this machine for short money and replaced all bearings and painted as well as fabricating some parts. Well worth it. Also took about five years to find it. Good luck in your search.

roger wiegand
11-28-2020, 7:30 PM
Is this (https://www.ebay.com/i/154044082631?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=154044082631&targetid=935065066747&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9001879&poi=&campaignid=10829254518&mkgroupid=115149377428&rlsatarget=pla-935065066747&abcId=9300396&merchantid=8031644&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh4j-BRCsARIsAGeV12CLpGBSnt9AyHFp_Sci2JgpNuDIKProszTI73 xfYfPPAzrf9g4JSjIaAo3eEALw_wcB) the "tracking hinge" you're talking about? I'd be very happy to fix my saw no matter what I end up doing with it. I may well be using it for a while!

Mike Kees
11-28-2020, 8:12 PM
Is this (https://www.ebay.com/i/154044082631?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=154044082631&targetid=935065066747&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9001879&poi=&campaignid=10829254518&mkgroupid=115149377428&rlsatarget=pla-935065066747&abcId=9300396&merchantid=8031644&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh4j-BRCsARIsAGeV12CLpGBSnt9AyHFp_Sci2JgpNuDIKProszTI73 xfYfPPAzrf9g4JSjIaAo3eEALw_wcB) the "tracking hinge" you're talking about? I'd be very happy to fix my saw no matter what I end up doing with it. I may well be using it for a while!

Yes that is it.

Terry Therneau
11-28-2020, 11:11 PM
It might be worth your time to log into owwm.org (old woodworking machines), where there is a lot of discussion about older cast iron bandsaws. They take up more physical space than the modern steel frame (Centaro etc that have been mentioned) but do a great job. Bandsaws have been around a long time and really have not changed much. I have a 26" Moak that I paid 1100 for, essentially $1/lb, 15" under the guides. It's been a good machine. I have not resawed often, but did all the 1/4 panels for the interior cubbies of a secretary. If you have the floor space, don't discount the old iron.
Terry T.

roger wiegand
11-29-2020, 8:55 AM
I will keep looking, I'm open to older saws. I should visit OWWM more often. We always have 3-4 36" Tannewitz (sp?) saws listed on CL, but I really don't have the space or overhead clearance for one of those. Smaller ones in the 18-24" range seem much more rare. I've seen beautiful older saws but they are often pretty lacking for safety equipment (like guards) and have no provision for dust collection.

David Kumm
11-29-2020, 9:06 AM
The Tanny Ph or oliver 217 30" saws take up less than 6" more than the newer 24" due to the C frame design. The larger table is something you will appreciate. They will fit under an 8' ceiling.445877 Dave

Steve Rozmiarek
11-29-2020, 7:08 PM
I am sitting by an old 36" Oliver as I type this. I love that saw, I've never come across something it won't do well plus it is by far the most interesting looking machine in my shop. It is also big and hard to fit in small shops but well worth the effort. Dust collection on it is actually pretty good, it's just a 6" hose by the bottom guide but not much gets by it when the blast gate is open. That all being said, I would also like to have a 24" range welded frame saw some day to just try out.

Mike Wilkins
11-29-2020, 10:42 PM
For resawing I would consider a welded steel machine from Italy. I have had a Laguna LT18 since 2001 and not had any problems with it. Other firms market similar machines and if you are willing to wait, they sometimes come up for sale at various sites. Most old iron machines are real beasts, but it may be hard to find one that does not require some work to get it to perform well.
I would get the Delta sorted out, remove the riser block and keep on trucking. In the meantime you can surf the various machine sites for something attractive. Having 2 machines is really a plus; wide blade on the big machine for resawing and a 1/4" blade on the 14" machine.

roger wiegand
11-30-2020, 8:10 AM
Yes, assuming that replacing the hinge fixes the problems I've been having I'm going to be very tempted to keep the small saw if and when I acquire a bigger one, leaving the small one set up with a skinny blade for small curved work and the big one set up with a bigger blade. Just need to find a place to put it! I have an enormous spindle sander that could be re-homed and replaced with a benchtop unit for all I use it that would open up a nice space.

roger wiegand
12-07-2020, 6:20 PM
Huge thanks to Richard Coers, Jim Matthews, and Mike Kees! I got the replacement hinge for my Delta saw today and replaced the old one. It had a HUGE bend in it, at least 3/16" over it's short length I wouldn't have believed it possible. With the new one installed the saw runs like new. I'm ecstatic!

Jim Matthews
12-07-2020, 10:04 PM

Yikes. I'll bet you have a good deal less drift to manage, too.

That looks like a factory defect.

Good Man, keeping a workhorse out of the glue factory!

Mike Kees
12-08-2020, 10:02 AM
Roger ,glad that worked out for you.

David Kumm
12-09-2020, 9:52 AM
I know of a MM24 for sale in Michigan. PM me and I will forward the email. Dave

Jim Becker
12-09-2020, 9:57 AM
I know of a MM24 for sale in Michigan. PM me and I will forward the email. Dave

Yea, that's a really nice machine and the price is right, too. If I were in the market, I'd be all over that. The combo is a really good deal, too.