PDA

View Full Version : Jet jointer JJ6CSX reviews.....

Josh Goldsmith
01-03-2006, 12:25 AM
Hello everyone!:D I found a guy who has this Jointer and he wants to sell it for $350. I am interested. I wanted your reviews on this jointer. I was about ready to buy the ridgid jointer when this guy finally contacted me back. The only thing is that it is blue instead of white. Is that weird? I don't know Jet at all. I haven't seen it becuase he live 4hrs away and he doesn't have a camera. All your inputs are wanted. Thanks.

Josh

Cecil Arnold
01-03-2006, 12:41 AM
Josh, they were blue before they were white. That means that it is somewhere in the range of 5-10 years old. I have the newer, white 6" closed stand which I think the CSX indicates. Once set up and adjusted I think it will do as good as or better than the Rigid. I don't want to say too much about the R brand, but have some personal reservations since I bought their plainer (lifetime guarantee) which they discontinued shortly thereafter. Were I buying again I would be looking at 8" jointers, but having said that if the Jet is in good condition, has some spare knives, and push blocks, etc, I would offer him $250-300. IMHO it is a better machine than the Rigid. If you attempt to work long or exceptionally heavy stock be careful of tipping.

Matt Tawes
01-03-2006, 8:10 AM
Hey Josh,

I used one of the JJ6CSX jointers for a couple of years before just getting my new 8" Griz. and for it's size it's a great machine. The blue one as mentioned is likely older and I would not make an offer without seeing it first. I still have my Jet for sale which I bought new in 2003 and I'm asking $395 OBO so I cant see anyone spending that much for an older one.
If all you want is a 6" for a great price you can buy a brand new one from Grizzly for what you're thinking about buying used. Check this one out: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0452

tod evans
01-03-2006, 9:15 AM
hey josh, how about posting an " i want to test drive joiners in the xyz price bracket, anybody close to me" thread? who knows for a weekend invested you could very well learn a lot.........02 tod

Jim Becker
01-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Blue Jet is pre-early-1998. Same basic machine as the Ivory iron that started in 2000, however... I owned the Ivory version purchased in mid-1998 and was pleased with it.
--

Edit...in retrospect, I believe that the asking price is a bit rich for a machine that old. I sold mine in virtually "mint condition" with a mobile base for only a bit more than that.

Jim Davenport
01-03-2006, 4:21 PM
I've had a JJ-6CS since the early 90's. The only problem I had was when I first bought it, the belt had a"set" in it, and had a lot of vibration. A new drive belt fixed that. It has given me good service since then.

Jim Davenport
01-03-2006, 6:29 PM
If you want to download (PDF) the manual, here's a link to jet manuals;
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cfm?area=shop&action=manual_index

Dave Dionne
01-03-2006, 7:12 PM
I have one of the Blue meanies, it is my first jointer but really like it. I bought it off a co-worker for either $200 or $250 can't remember which. I just rewired it to 220 this weekend.

No complaints with it here except I could move up to a 8 inch spiral.

Good luck Dave

Dennis Collins
01-03-2006, 9:07 PM
I have the blue unit that you referenced and would recommend the machine as a durable and useful tool for the the shop. If you go and look at it, check there items: Are both sides of the table flat (check with a straight edge), ask if you can remove the belt and turn the motor by hand very slowly (you are checking to see if the bearings are smooth or ruff) Try turning a motor from another tool that you own to get a feel. You can actually feel a ruff bearing. Also turn the blade head, also checking for smooth bearings. And finally turn it on and do a test cut. If it has dull blades take into account that you will have to spend money to have then sharpened or replaced. If everything checks out good then offer you best price less $25 and if necessary add the $25 to make the deal. Good luck.