PDA

View Full Version : Dyed Cottonwood burl

Travis Stinson
01-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Spent some time today playing with a new toy. I've been wanting to try airbrushing dye on some turnings, this might be fun.:D Cottonwood burl platter 13" across by about 1" deep. Bright red, yellow and black dye with a couple coats of gel poly.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/TS263Small.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/TS263aSmall.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/TS263bSmall.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Travis that is totally awesome. I think you did very well. Look forward to seeing more. Great pictures.

Ernie Nyvall
01-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Travis, that is beautiful. SO you do artistic air brushing too.

Ernie

Jim Ketron
01-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Man thats beautiful Travis, I need my :cool: to look, it jumps out and makes ya look at it!
Great Job!
Keep-em coming!;)

Dennis Peacock
01-02-2006, 11:49 PM
OK...that does it.....I quit!!!!! :rolleyes: :p

Very beautiful Travis. Very nice on the color dye as well. Wonderful touch to a nicely turned piece.:D

Dick Parr
01-03-2006, 12:22 AM
Wow Travis, that is nice.:) I like the colors you chose and how you used them. A man of many talents.;)

Michael Stafford
01-03-2006, 6:54 AM
The colors are very vivid. This piece will end up as a decorative wall hanging, an accent piece in some 5th Avenue penthouse. Very nicely done. We people that can barely make things round on the lathe are envious of your efforts. Seriously, very beautiful.:D

Dennis Daudelin
01-03-2006, 7:38 AM
Very stunning! The airbrushing sure adds to the piece and makes the piece jump out!

What kind of dye did you use? Was it water or alcohol based?

Great job,

Dennis

Curt Fuller
01-03-2006, 7:43 AM
Very nice! Sort of reminds me of Jimi Hendrix's guitar for some reason. Bottom is almost as pretty as the top.

Keith Burns
01-03-2006, 7:51 AM
I'm with Dennis on this one, I QUIT !!!:D Excellent piece for sure ! You can sure tell who the artist is.:)

John Hart
01-03-2006, 8:08 AM
Yeah...I quit too! But before I do, I think I'd like to suggest a name....How 'bout "Mississippi Sunset". Wonderful work Travis!!!

Ok...I'm done. I quit now.

Robert Mickley
01-03-2006, 8:36 AM
Please tell me you practiced on something else before you did this.

That is awsome sweet. Great Job!!!!

Mark Cothren
01-03-2006, 8:37 AM
Sort of reminds me of Jimi Hendrix's guitar for some reason.

Now you've done it, Curt... I just felt the air pressure change here in central AR when his head swelled over in Mississippi...:D

Very nice work, Travis! A man of many <b>lathe</b>ring talents...

Thanks for the pictures!

Travis Stinson
01-03-2006, 9:11 AM
HA! Mark, you know I'm partial to Cherry sunburst Les Pauls!:D
That's a cool name John, I like it.;)
Dennis, the dyes are alcohol based, the pre-mixed Artisan dyes from Craft Supplies.

Dave Smith
01-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Beautiful piece Travis.

Would you please tell me the dying sequence? I assume you sprayed the edge black before turning. But having never done this type of thing I am not sure what you did. Mono color minds want to know.

Dave Smith

Thought I was done with the airbrush in Longview, WA.

Mike Ramsey
01-03-2006, 12:41 PM
That, sir is Awesome! Your a very talented man. Reminds me of pictures
of Coral I've seen.

Andy Hoyt
01-03-2006, 4:18 PM
First we get Keith's Purple Haze duo and now we have Travis' tye dyed tee shirt platter. Sheesh! The sixties were barely survivable the first time around.

Would you guys stop bogarting the talent and send some up here to the top right corner. My regular source of talent got busted by Officer Stedenko

tod evans
01-03-2006, 4:22 PM
First we get Keith's Purple Haze duo and now we have Travis' tye dyed tee shirt platter. Sheesh! The sixties were barely survivable the first time around.

Would you guys stop bogarting the talent and send some up here to the top right corner. My regular source of talent got busted by Officer Stedenko

bailiff whack his...........cheech-n-chong

pretty trippy travis:)

Chip Sutherland
01-03-2006, 4:23 PM
Looks like something from the Hubble telescope.

Nice...one more skill to add to my list of wanna-do's.

Travis Stinson
01-03-2006, 6:39 PM
Beautiful piece Travis.

Would you please tell me the dying sequence? I assume you sprayed the edge black before turning. But having never done this type of thing I am not sure what you did. Mono color minds want to know.

Dave Smith

Thought I was done with the airbrush in Longview, WA.
Dave, if I would have went at this with a plan in mind, that would have been the thing to do:o . Since I just winged it, I sprayed the edges and back of the rim with black from the backside while it was still chucked up. Yellow from the center out, then blended the red from there. The last time I fooled with an airbrush was over 20 years ago, when I thought I wanted to try airbrushing a t-shirt:rolleyes: .

David Fried
01-03-2006, 7:04 PM
Looks like something from the Hubble telescope.

Definately cosmic man ... very cool Travis.

Dave Fried

Jim Becker
01-03-2006, 7:24 PM
Oh, my....that's striking! Wonderful work, Travis. And yes...the airbrush works! Especially in your hands...

Loy Hawes
01-03-2006, 8:57 PM
Beautiful work Travis. I love the backside. It looks like a glowing ember.

Curt Fuller
01-03-2006, 10:04 PM

'Bogarting' Now that's gotta be 40's or 50's.

Travis, you could display that top side up until you got tired of it, then flip it over until that wore on you, flip it back again and again and again. Both sides are incredibly nice.