PDA

View Full Version : Need helip in buying tools

Khalid Hanif
01-02-2006, 10:05 PM
I just started working on wood.
Always loved wood but never had a chance to work on them.
Finally I am trying to work on wood just bought a 54A Powermatic Table saw also had a circular saw and a Craftsman's router with table.

I need your help in order to buy more tools, I am very confused right now.
Specially what I should by which I will use in most of my projects.

Correct me if I am wrong or right in buying the following tools.
1) Jointer (either Powermatic 6" 66" bed(can't afford 8" Powermatic) or Grizzly 8")
2) Planer (can't decide which one to buy either Dewalt or Powermatic or some other better brand)
3) Drill press (don't know which brand)
4) Band saw (don't know which brand)
5) Gig saw (don't know which brand)

My new project will be to make front entrance door which is 8'x36".
I would like to make it in nice wood and also need help in how to make it and choosing a good wood.
I also want to make head and foot board for my bed.

Looking forward to heard form you experts out there
Khalid

Mark Rios
01-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Correct me if I am wrong or right in buying the following tools.
1) Jointer (either Powermatic 6" 66" bed(can't afford 8" Powermatic) or Grizzly 8")
2) Planer (can't decide which one to buy either Dewalt or Powermatic or some other better brand)
3) Drill press (don't know which brand)
4) Band saw (don't know which brand)
5) Gig saw (don't know which brand)

Well, I'm not an expert but I'd say:
1) Griz 8"
2) DW735 (I own this and love it as do others here)
3) Don't know, I only had an HF DP.
4) The new Griz Extreme bandsaws are very sweet.
5) Sorry, don't know what a Gig saw is.

Oh wait.....Jigsaw, I like the Bosch 1587 but the 1590 is nicer.

Tommy Curtiss
01-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Well let me be the first to welcome you to the Creek,you will find all the answers to all your question here by a lot of very smart and nice bunch of people. That beins said,I started with a table saw and router much like you,then I added a grizzly 6" jointer(grizzly 1182hw),then a planer,(that I don't use much,I buy lumber already to size)then a grizzly 14" band saw (G0555).With these I can do anything I want to at this time,,,,then theres the other routers,,the Kreg K3,,the 2hp dust collector,,,,this list goes on,before you know it,,you'll be standing in a shop with your pockets empty:eek: But trust me on this,,you are in the right place,,,Welcome again:)

Mike Forsman
01-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Khalid, I too would like to welcome you to SMC. A great place for information.

Your list would be a good starting list with one exception. To effectively use a jointer and planner, you need a dust collector.

As to the brands of tools to buy, you can cover the range of prices. Do some research here on SMC by using the search or advanced search capability. I learned a lot by looking at the older threads here at SMC. In looking at those threads, you will discover that in many cases wood working tool brand loyalty is much like automobile brand loyalty (most people have their favorites.

When you get ready to purchase that special wood for your front entry door, then there are a number of good options in the Dallas area.

Once again welcome.

Mike

Mark Rios
01-02-2006, 10:48 PM
I really should be more aware of the new people that come in here.

VERY sorry Khalid. Big welcome to the creek.

Sometimes I'm such a bonehead.:D

Bill Fields
01-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Khalid--Welcome!

My advice--start building stuff for your shop--cabinets for tools, jigs, fixtures, sleds, etc.

From that experience, you will learn which tools are the "next" important buy.

Go carefully--step by step.

There is nothing worse than buying something and deciding that it was not what you had in mind!

I speak from experience--some of my tools are not ever used because they were purchased in haste.

I WOULD recommend a "pro" level dedicated router/table, a full EZ/Eureka Zone sheet cutting set-up, all the quality clamps you can store, Keg pocket setup, Incra 100SE miter saw set-up, a good CSMS.

Best

BILL FIELDS

tod evans
01-03-2006, 9:27 AM
kahlid, welcome! i think the questions you have asked are to broad to give an educated answer to. first what do you want to accomplish? second how much money do you want to invest to achieve the end result? third how much space and what kind of power do you have available? hope these questions will help get you started.........02 tod

john mclane
01-03-2006, 4:13 PM
Welcome.
As mentioned earlier, plan on starting on some smaller projects first and trying some different woods and joint techniques. I ended up getting a mortiser before a band saw and jointer since most of my wood was already cut to size and I liked the strength of mortised joints for things like tables or benches. I have had the Powermatic saw for about 5 years and love it for my level of activity as a hobbyist. I'm looking at the Powermatic BS now and trying to compare to the Grizzly saws. I bought a smaller Dewalt 12" planer and carry it outside if I'm planing. I try to do rough sanding outside as well. (I have a solid table outside that I can put equipment on and reduce my shop dust level) The jointer is last on my list after a dust collection system. Other may disagree; it depends on your wood sources and plans.
Best of luck

Michael Ballent
01-03-2006, 4:45 PM
Khalid a warm welcome to SMC!!!

Dust collection is one of the most important things someone that wants to get into woodworking should look into buying. From sawing, planing, to sanding, you want to collect and contain as much as possible from the dust producing source. All you need to is have a bad sneezing fit from some saw dust that can become more serious as one gets more exposure to saw dust. I do not know about you, but I do not want to be hooked up to oxygen because I was too macho to not use a DC system. If you cannot afford dust collection I suggest to wait until you can purchase something to get that stuff as far away as possible from you. OSHA has even recognized the dangers of saw dust.

As far as your tool selections, a lot will depend on your budget. You can get a $99 table that will cut wood or a $25,000 dollar european slider set up that can build aerospace engineered wood ;) so that is very important part of the equation. I have always said that your jointer should be the same width as your planer. So if you have a 12" planer the jointer should be 12" as well, otherwise you are looking at only really effectively using 6" of the planer since you will have to rip all your wood to fit your jointer.

Bands saw will be good if you plan on resawing wood or doing curved work, again $99 for a little 10" model (which is going to be a pain to use) to $4,000+ for some of the monsters that are out there.

Again this is just my opinion, let us know what your long term plans are and we should be able to guide you better.

Jim Becker
01-03-2006, 6:06 PM
Khalid, welcome aboard. Your project plans should influence what you buy and when. Your list is good in most senses. Do go with the 8" jointer. Others have already given good advice on the other items, but I will also emphasize what Michael just wrote: Dust Collection. Your health depends upon it.

scott spencer
01-03-2006, 6:24 PM
Hi Khalid and welcome!

The best way to start every project with straight square pieces of wood is by using a jointer and planer in tandem. You won't regret getting an 8" jointer and the Griz seems to be an excellent value.

There are several good portable planers like the DeWalt 734 or 735, plus the Delta 22-580, Ridgid 1300, or the Makita. A stationary planer has some advantages too, but will cost quite a bit more...$700+.

A dust collection system should be on your "short list"...especially if you get a planer. Those a chip spitting monsters. :eek:

You'll want to have a couple of good blades for your saw if you don't already have them. I use a TK Forrest WWII 40T for most cutting, then use a 24T DeWalt DW7124TK for ripping heavy hardwoods.

You don't necessarily have to get everything at once. Many buy tools as needed. That at least provides time to do alot of research on each tool.
Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress! :)

lloyd morris
01-03-2006, 6:24 PM
Khalid,

Welcome to SMC. Just wanted to add my two cents to what has been said by Michael, Jim and Scott about the need for proper dust collection even when you are just starting out. There are several units which move plenty of CFPM and filter down to 1 micron and are available at reasonable prices.

While it may not seem that important and you might think you can get by without dust collection, I can say from personal experience it should be one of the first items you should purchase. It is just not worth the risk.

Lloyd

Matt Crew
01-03-2006, 6:25 PM
Welcome to the Creek!
I'm sure you'll get the answers your looking for. I've been working with wood for quite a while, but only small projects and home improvement.
Simply hobbie stuff, or is that a simpleton doing hobbie stuff. :rolleyes:
This place is awsome. I don't have the answers for you but alot of these fine craftsmen will.

John Bailey
01-03-2006, 7:12 PM
Welcome to the "Creek" Khalid. I can't help you too much with the choices your asking about. I'm just building my shop and I only have a jointer and a radial arm saw right now. I'll be interested in all the advice because I'm looking to buy the same machines you are. A lot depends on your budget. There are good values out there, but to get top quality you're going to have to spend some serious dollars. You'll get good advice at the Creek, so my advice is to listen to it.

John