PDA

View Full Version : Oneway 1640 or Robust Sweet 16

Mark Woodmark
11-21-2020, 10:18 PM
Thinking about a new lathe. Its between a Oneway 1640 or a Robust Sweet 16. The reviews rave about the Robust lathes more so than the Oneway, but the Oneway is cheaper and for what it's worth the Oneway is heavier

Bill Dufour
11-21-2020, 11:21 PM
I thought that was going to be a goodway lathe which would way outclass the wood lathe and outweigh it by x3 or 4.
Bil lD

Mark Woodmark
11-21-2020, 11:44 PM
I thought that was going to be a goodway lathe which would way outclass the wood lathe and outweigh it by x3 or 4.
Bil lD

Well, that may be a goodway to go by x3 or 4, but noway. It's just too weighout

Andrew Hughes
11-22-2020, 12:21 AM
I’ve used my friends One way I thinks it’s 2436. Great machine the Robusto looks great too and it’s American made .
I would be happy with either one.
Good Luck

Ben Grefe
11-22-2020, 1:59 AM
Mark, I think you're getting to the zone of 'so good, it's hard to compare'.

Robust makes great lathes - I own one. They're (the company) also incredibly easy to work with and made in the USA (if that matters to you). Maybe you're located in Canada in which case OneWay has the advantage there (Made in Canada - I think).

Jim Becker
11-22-2020, 9:58 AM
These are both very good tools and tool manufacturers. I owned a smaller OneWay years ago and it was built like a tank. The Robust tools I've seen up close have been equally impressive. For me, this decision would come down to comparing specific features based on what work you intend to do and if there is a price difference, the feature comparison will help tip things either way.

And Ben is correct...OneWay is based in Canada. Robust is USA. Both are very worthy North American manufacturers and supporting either one with your purchase is a good thing.

Timothy Thorpe Allen
11-22-2020, 10:30 AM
...this decision would come down to comparing specific features based on what work you intend to do....

That is what I was going to say! I have a Robust Sweet 16, but when I selected it, I wasn't comparing it to other 16-inch swing lathes, but to larger lathes, due to the Sweet 16's gap bed capability.

Reed Gray
11-22-2020, 12:54 PM
Both are quality machines. I have very little experience with the Oneway lathes, and a lot with the Robust. Personally, I prefer the sliding headstock to the fixed headstock for bowl turning as the slide gives you a bowl lathe and a spindle lathe combined. Some rough in long bed formation, then finish turn on the outboard. The Robust is made in the USA. You can add weight to the Sweet 16.

robo hippy

Mark Woodmark
11-22-2020, 2:02 PM
Both are quality machines. I have very little experience with the Oneway lathes, and a lot with the Robust. Personally, I prefer the sliding headstock to the fixed headstock for bowl turning as the slide gives you a bowl lathe and a spindle lathe combined. Some rough in long bed formation, then finish turn on the outboard. The Robust is made in the USA. You can add weight to the Sweet 16.

robo hippy

I am probably not as seasoned of a turner as others here. I figured I could turn any larger things outboard on the Oneway since the swing is increased there. My concerns about Robust are its higher price. Am I paying for gimmick whistles and bells that I really dont need? I understand I could add weight to the Robust, but my thought are, less weight translated into less steel and cast. I have read most all the online reviews and almost all rave about the Robust. There are a few that view it like a car you pay big bucks for just for all those fancy extras. I hope I dont get chastised for my thought here. I turn bowl shaped pieces. Mostly solid, but some hollow. I plan to do more hollow in the future.

Jim Becker
11-22-2020, 3:04 PM
That is what I was going to say! I have a Robust Sweet 16, but when I selected it, I wasn't comparing it to other 16-inch swing lathes, but to larger lathes, due to the Sweet 16's gap bed capability.

Yes, a gap bed situation can make a lathe even more versatile. I have that in essence as a primary design feature on my Stubby 750 that I bought many years ago. (Robust didn't exist then)

Steve Mathews
11-22-2020, 4:05 PM
I've used the Oneway 2436 and Robust American Beauty and found the Oneway more enjoyable to use. Weight is always an advantage with a lathe so that would be another plus for the Oneway. However, in that size lathe my order of preference would be a Vicmarc, Oneway and then Robust. I'm surprised no one mentioned Vicmarc so far. If you're close to Las Vegas or plan to visit there stop by Woodworkers Emporium. They usually have Vicmarcs on display along with Robusts. The owner is a very accomplished and enthusiastic turner. I don't have any affiliation with them other than an occasional customer.

Robert Hayward
11-22-2020, 6:23 PM
Not having a sliding headstock would be a deal killer for me.

Steve Mathews
11-22-2020, 6:33 PM
Not having a sliding headstock would be a deal killer for me.

I don't understand. How is sliding the headstock to the opposite end of the bed different than just turning from the opposite end of the headstock with an extension table? Seems like it would be less of a hassle besides introducing alignment issues.

Mark Woodmark
11-22-2020, 6:57 PM
I don't understand. How is sliding the headstock to the opposite end of the bed different than just turning from the opposite end of the headstock with an extension table? Seems like it would be less of a hassle besides introducing alignment issues.

I was wondering the same thing. This probably sounds like a dumb question, but if the tailstock slides and you can turn outboard, what difference does it make if the headstock is fixed?

Harold Walsh
11-22-2020, 8:19 PM
I understand both Oneway and Robust are very fine lathes and the reviews on both seem to verify it. It would seem to me you're paying the higher price on the Robust because of the seven year warranty. I considered selling my Nova lathe and buying the Robust Scout but it would be hard for me to give up the rotating head stock which neither the Robust or Oneway offer. The rotating head keeps these old bones from bending over and hollowing bowls and I'm not sure why Robust and Oneway don't offer this feature on their lathes?

Jim Becker
11-22-2020, 9:39 PM
I understand both Oneway and Robust are very fine lathes and the reviews on both seem to verify it. It would seem to me you're paying the higher price on the Robust because of the seven year warranty. I considered selling my Nova lathe and buying the Robust Scout but it would be hard for me to give up the rotating head stock which neither the Robust or Oneway offer. The rotating head keeps these old bones from bending over and hollowing bowls and I'm not sure why Robust and Oneway don't offer this feature on their lathes?

The NOVA uses an innovative motor/drive system that lends itself to that rotation feature because it's direct drive. It's unique. Most other machines use a 3 phase motor that's still driving a pulley/belt to turn the spindle.

Richard Coers
11-22-2020, 10:03 PM
The NOVA uses an innovative motor/drive system that lends itself to that rotation feature because it's direct drive. It's unique. Most other machines use a 3 phase motor that's still driving a pulley/belt to turn the spindle.
I have yet to turn on a NOVA where I liked the programming on the motor. I like the lathe to turn on when I push the button. I hate the soft start and ramp up.

Jim Becker
11-22-2020, 10:18 PM
Richard, my Stubby 750...which is a normal 3 phase motor with a VFD...has the soft start programmed. It's actually a really good thing if you have something hefty mounted. Less pleasing with small stuff, however.

Harold Walsh
11-22-2020, 10:18 PM
Good point, Jim. However you might remember Jet offered the 1640 with a rotating headstock a couple of years ago and it was belt driven. Jet offers one now that has a rotating head with a Reeves drive. Also Nova offers an upgrade DVR motor to the 1624 and it too is belt driven. Perhaps I'm missing something but why would a lathe with drive belts restrict it from having a rotating head?

Richard Coers
11-22-2020, 10:37 PM
Richard, my Stubby 750...which is a normal 3 phase motor with a VFD...has the soft start programmed. It's actually a really good thing if you have something hefty mounted. Less pleasing with small stuff, however.
Been turning 35 years Jim, I like on to be on. Not please wait a bit! I'm also sharp enough to know to turn down the potentiometer when I have a 22" blank on my Oneway 2436

roger wiegand
11-23-2020, 8:40 AM
I haven't looked lately, but in the past when I've seen them, outboard and rotating head turning setups seemed to have a jury-rig quality about them, lacking the stability of the standard setup for holding the toolrest. It's to be hoped they have improved. The sliding head on my AB lets me go from a long bed to a short bed lathe in about 10 seconds using the same banjo and tool rests as usual with everything in the orientation I'm used to. So far alignment has stayed spot on through many moves of the headstock. I don't turn truly massive things, so the 25" swing has been enough so far. I'm awfully happy with the sliding head, having spent past years hunched over the lathe bed.

Peter Blair
11-23-2020, 9:19 AM
Never turned on a Robust but have had my Oneway since 1997 the only thing I've had to replace is the revolving tailstock center and they did an exchange for me. I turn just about daily and for my use I just don't see how I could have a lathe that suites me better.

Steve Mathews
11-23-2020, 10:26 AM
I'll ask the question again, why slide the headstock to the opposite end of the lathe bed to provide a more comfortable turning position when you can just use the opposing end of the headstock with an added extension table as with the Oneway? The answer with respect to the Robust is that you can't because the motor is in the way. I think it's a far better design to have a stationary headstock. It offers a greater chance of stability and alignment. I think it was Stuart Batty that complained about sliding headstocks and the irritating vibration they can sometimes produce when the headstock is not firmly held in place. A complaint I have with most of the currently produced woodturning lathes except Vicmarc is the platform being fabricated steel instead of cast iron.

Jim Becker
11-23-2020, 11:07 AM
Been turning 35 years Jim, I like on to be on. Not please wait a bit! I'm also sharp enough to know to turn down the potentiometer when I have a 22" blank on my Oneway 2436
'Wasn't being critical...just pointing out that the soft start thing isn't unique to the Nova.

Reed Gray
11-23-2020, 11:15 AM
The biggest difference to me with the sliding headstock and the fixed headstock is how you stand when you turn bowls. With a long bed lathe set up, you either have to bend over, or extend your arms out away from your body to turn bowls, and this applies more to turning the inside of the bowl than the outside. This can take a toll on your back by the end of the day. I also find I don't have a good of tool control if I am extending my arms out away from my body, which is the method that Stuart Batty uses. I could get used to it, but it is far more comfortable to slide the headstock down and turn off the end of your lathe. I guess 'more ergonomically correct' would be another way of saying it. You can turn outboard on the fixed headstock lathes which is the same thing. I think some of the long bed lathes had this as an after thought rather than an actual design concept, but I believe that has changed a bit. There were problems with things unwinding as you turned or having to turn backwards/in reverse.

As for the Vicmark lathes, I got the 240, which is the one with the pivoting headstock. I prefer it for bowl turning now. They are the only ones who do the pivoting headstock correctly. It is on a massive plate. You pull a pin and swing it to 30 degrees and replace the pin. To move it back, pull the pin, and move it back and replace the pin. It goes back to perfect alignment every single time without having to check to make sure it is lined up. You can use the standard banjo for turning in the pivoted position. Another thing I like about the Vicmark is that they have 3 speed pulleys, which is what I have on my AB, which was one of the first ones Brent put out. What that does for me as a bowl turner is I prefer the mid speed range. Low speed has plenty of torque for coring bowls, but is too slow for most of my smaller bowls. High speed range has the speed, but not the torque needed some times for coring. The mid speed pulley is just right, plenty of torque and plenty of speed.

robo hippy

roger wiegand
11-23-2020, 1:56 PM
I think it's a far better design to have a stationary headstock. It offers a greater chance of stability and alignment.

Having turned on both Oneway and Robust I've seen zero difference in stability and alignment (and I do move the headstock, frequently). I think almost any turner will be extremely happy with either one. Never seen a Vicmarc in person, but I'm willing to believe the same is true for them. (love their chucks!)

I enjoy being able to move the headstock to a position where the lathe legs aren't in the way; I found that to be an issue on the Oneway I used, I kept running into a leg where I wanted to put my foot while working on small things.

Timothy Thorpe Allen
11-23-2020, 2:18 PM
With a long bed lathe set up <with a fixed headstock>, you either have to bend over, or extend your arms out away from your body to turn <the inside of> bowls

There is an alternative.

Stand on the backside of the lathe!

(helpful to have the controls on a movable pendant)

David M Peters
11-23-2020, 5:05 PM
My context: I own a 3HP AB and have spend a week turning on a Vicmarc 300 but have never touched a Oneway. Between the Oneway 1640 and Sweet 16, I'd go with the Oneway because it's heavier.

Steve Mathews
11-23-2020, 7:07 PM
The biggest difference to me with the sliding headstock and the fixed headstock is how you stand when you turn bowls. With a long bed lathe set up, you either have to bend over, or extend your arms out away from your body to turn bowls, and this applies more to turning the inside of the bowl than the outside. This can take a toll on your back by the end of the day. I also find I don't have a good of tool control if I am extending my arms out away from my body, which is the method that Stuart Batty uses. I could get used to it, but it is far more comfortable to slide the headstock down and turn off the end of your lathe. I guess 'more ergonomically correct' would be another way of saying it. You can turn outboard on the fixed headstock lathes which is the same thing. I think some of the long bed lathes had this as an after thought rather than an actual design concept, but I believe that has changed a bit. There were problems with things unwinding as you turned or having to turn backwards/in reverse.

As for the Vicmark lathes, I got the 240, which is the one with the pivoting headstock. I prefer it for bowl turning now. They are the only ones who do the pivoting headstock correctly. It is on a massive plate. You pull a pin and swing it to 30 degrees and replace the pin. To move it back, pull the pin, and move it back and replace the pin. It goes back to perfect alignment every single time without having to check to make sure it is lined up. You can use the standard banjo for turning in the pivoted position. Another thing I like about the Vicmark is that they have 3 speed pulleys, which is what I have on my AB, which was one of the first ones Brent put out. What that does for me as a bowl turner is I prefer the mid speed range. Low speed has plenty of torque for coring bowls, but is too slow for most of my smaller bowls. High speed range has the speed, but not the torque needed some times for coring. The mid speed pulley is just right, plenty of torque and plenty of speed.

robo hippy

Reed,
Please tell us more about your Vicmarc 240.

Reed Gray
11-24-2020, 1:10 PM
Well, first, the argument about sliding headstocks being more prone to vibration. Stuart Batty, Mike Mahoney, and a few others comment on this. They all turn on the Vicmark lathes. With some of the first sliding headstock lathes out there, they had the same pressure plate on them that they used on the banjo, which is a terrible idea. On my AB, the pressure plate is the full length of the headstock. As near as I can tell, this is a very firm mount if you use some pressure to lock it down. With my 3520A, they had a 4 by 5 inch plate. It seemed adequate for the job. There is more vibration from the AB than there was from my old 3520A, not a lot, but noticeable. Since getting the Vic 240, I notice there is less vibration with it than there is with my AB. Oh, on the AB, when the tailstock is engaged, there are no vibration issues at all. I haven't had a chance to compare how my turning style will work on a big Oneway. When turning bowls 10 inch diameter range, there are minimal vibration issues. When turning over that 10 inch diameter and coring, the vibration issues increase. On the Vicmark, the vibration starts at pieces in the 12 to 14 inch range. I do make heavy cuts, and use the scraper as my primary roughing tool which would add to vibration issues. So, what is the difference between the Vicmark and AB and Oneway? To me, it is the headstock design. Both the Oneway and AB have a headstock where the main spindle is in a capsule that can be unbolted from the headstock tower for ease of replacement. This capsule includes a bell housing on the bearings that protrudes a couple of inches off of the headstock tower. Some lathes are using this design, and/or adding a protrusion from the headstock for 'access' to the back side of the bowl. What this does, is when you mount your chuck onto the headstock, the jaw face is now 2+ inches farther away from the headstock tower. This, to me, is what adds to the vibration issues, especially if you are not using the tailstock. You essentially have a longer lever arm off of the tower. It does make a difference and is some what similar to what happens when you turn hollow forms. You go longer and you need a steady rest. When you extend out farther off of the headstock, you get more vibration. With the Vicmark, the headstock spindle face is right on the tower, some what similar to how my old 3520A was. Some say that the stainless steel ways of the Robust and Oneway lathes adds to vibration because there is no dampening of vibration like cast iron can make. I did notice that the steel lathes make different noises when turning, but can't tell there are any other differences.

The Vicmark 240: When I do a demo on a fixed headstock long bed lathe, I have to practice with my lathe in that set up. I don't like turning long bed style because I prefer to keep my arms in close, and not reach away from my body (Stuart Batty style) or bend over. I guess I could get used to that style, but after turning with sliding headstocks for 20 years, I can't see why I would ever go back. With a pivoting headstock, you can turn a long bed lathe into a bowl lathe. The first pivoting ones I saw were the Jet 14 inch lathes with the reeves drive. They could not use the standard banjo, and used an extension which vibrated without even having wood mounted on the lathe. The Nova DVR, and I think their older 16 inch lathe had a pivoting headstock lathe. While it did work, you had to fiddle with it when you move it back to long bed style to make sure the centers lined up. I can't remember if there are set stops for how far you can pivot. With the Vic, there are 2 stops, 30 and 90 degrees. With the 30 degree stop, you can use the standard banjo that comes with the lathe. With the 90 degree stop, you need to use the set up that goes down to the floor. I found it cumbersome for standard bowl turning. The plate the headstock pivots on is about 9 inch diameter. When pivoted to the 30 or 90 degree setting, there is a set screw on the plate that you use to eliminate vibration. If you don't use it, you get a small bit of vibration. The older versions of the 240 had the mid way stop at 45 degrees. I would think that would have made using the standard banjo a bit short other than on small bowls. I seldom turn over about 14 inch diameter as those bowls just don't sell well for me. Looks like the 240 can turn slightly over 18 inch diameter. With my 14 inch bowls, there are no issue of getting the banjo under the rim of the bowl. Can't remember how Nova did it. The 30 degree pivot point seems to be ideal as I can stand up straight and there is easy clearance for turning both the inside and outside of a bowl. The 240 had a 2 hp motor, and for some reason, it feels at least as strong as the 3 hp on my AB. I know Brent has switched to a 'more efficient' motor on the AB, so that may be part of it. As I said earlier, I prefer the 3 speed ranges. With most 2 speed lathes, low speed range is up to about 1500, and high speed range is up to 3000. The low speed range is fine for coring and heavy cutting like production turners want, but too slow for some of the smaller bowls. The high speed range does have the speed for smaller bowls, but most lathes don't like coring, specifically with the McNaughton, in the high speed range. That may have changed with some of the newer motors, but I don't really know. I don't know how much the Vic weighs. I was able to get it off the truck and into the shop by myself by using 8 foot 4 X 4s and levering it up onto dollies. It was a bit much for me to slide it around on the concrete floor in my shop. It does not have a mobility kit of any sort with it because, "once you have it in place, why would you ever move it?' For me, I might want to move it if I have a guest turner for a work shop in my shop and they want to use the Vic. I would have to go through making sure it was leveled properly in any new position. So, it has a dedicated place in the shop, and we can move chairs easier than we can move the lathe. I do like the idea of the red emergency off bar along the front side of the lathe. I have bumped it numerous times, and will eventually get used to it. As far as fit and finish go, I would say that the Vic, Oneway, and Robust lathes are all very close to each other. I am picky that way. Family business in the midwest (Gray Mfg.) kind of taught me to pay attention to details, and I notice this about all 3 of these lathes. Oh, the pivot away tailstock. I do pull it off rather than keep it up on the pivot away part. They have a horizontal bar on the end of the lathe bed and a slot on the pivoting part of the bed. This means that when you pivot the tailstock away and move it back into place, it goes back exactly to height and center line. Very good set up. I was never able to fiddle with the set up on my Robust so that I could leave the tailstock on the extension and have it line up with the headstock.

robo hip

Jim Barkelew
11-24-2020, 9:47 PM
I have a Sweet 16 and love it. I chose it over the other options because it was less massive. I have it bolted to the concrete slab so the weight isn't a concern. I have worked with large precision CNC machines that were welded steel construction. Cast iron doesn't automatically mean a good machine.

Jim

Mark Woodmark
11-25-2020, 2:41 AM
I have a Sweet 16 and love it. I chose it over the other options because it was less massive. I have it bolted to the concrete slab so the weight isn't a concern. I have worked with large precision CNC machines that were welded steel construction. Cast iron doesn't automatically mean a good machine.

Jim

I too have experience with large CNC machines. Most had a large table and a gantry.

Your comment about mass answers some questions I had. Such as the lathes weight, the removable bed section as oppose to just a bigger swing and longer banjo or turning outboard. It must have been an engineering challenge to create a removable bed section without adding mass or compromising the integrity of the lathe. In six years of turning I have never wished I could slide the headstock, I just don't get that. Each to his own.

When I was thinking about weight, I was not only thinking about vibration. In my mind bolting the lathe to the floor would help eliminate vibration, but if its going to vibrate, it would just do it in place then. I just wondered what was value engineered or just mechanical engineered to achieve less mass. What was made thinner, smaller, or made from an alternate material to keep the mass down or make the machine cheaper to produce. Part of the love people have with the older machines appears to be their mass of being overbuilt. Some were built to last forever. Not saying this is the case with the Robust. It was obviously thought about a lot before it was put on paper and its owners love it. That says a lot about the lathe

Timothy Thorpe Allen
11-25-2020, 7:49 AM
Mark, I don't think there is any "value engineering" in the Sweet 16 (and that is reflected in both the price and the warranty). As far as the weight comparison between it and the Oneway 1640, the Oneway is quite a bit longer than the S16 -- without hanging the gap bed off the end, the S16 standard bed version is rated at only 24" between centers, vs. 40" for the Oneway -- and that could account for a significant portion of the weight difference.

When Jim says he chose the Sweet 16 because it is "less massive," I suspect what he might really have meant is that it is more compact in size -- the overall "footprint" of this lathe is generally smaller than that of competing lathes (that have similar capabilities). Certainly, my S16 takes up no more room (maybe a bit less) in my shop than my old "midi" lathe (Delta 46-700, 12x36).

As far as cast iron vs. welded steel, both the Robust and the Oneway lathes are the latter (at least as far as their bedway structures go).

Certainly, the Robust lathes are expensive; and the Oneway lathes are very highly regarded as well (and not exactly inexpensive, either). I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Jim Becker
11-25-2020, 9:44 AM
Mark, a solid machine that's been leveled and shimmed to insure the centers are, um...centered...(cast iron CAN bend...)....vibration shouldn't be a factor at all. If one tends to turn big, heavy, out-of-balance at first or asymmetrical things, bolting to the floor is a good idea, too. These things combined with mass can make turning a real pleasure.

Mark Woodmark
11-25-2020, 10:46 AM
Mark, I don't think there is any "value engineering" in the Sweet 16 (and that is reflected in both the price and the warranty). As far as the weight comparison between it and the Oneway 1640, the Oneway is quite a bit longer than the S16 -- without hanging the gap bed off the end, the S16 standard bed version is rated at only 24" between centers, vs. 40" for the Oneway -- and that could account for a significant portion of the weight difference.

When Jim says he chose the Sweet 16 because it is "less massive," I suspect what he might really have meant is that it is more compact in size -- the overall "footprint" of this lathe is generally smaller than that of competing lathes (that have similar capabilities). Certainly, my S16 takes up no more room (maybe a bit less) in my shop than my old "midi" lathe (Delta 46-700, 12x36).

As far as cast iron vs. welded steel, both the Robust and the Oneway lathes are the latter (at least as far as their bedway structures go).

Certainly, the Robust lathes are expensive; and the Oneway lathes are very highly regarded as well (and not exactly inexpensive, either). I don't think you can go wrong either way.

The Robust Sweet 16 with long bed is 57-1/2 × 28 or 67.7 x 28 if you include the motor. It weighs 480 pounds.
The Oneway 1640 is 60 x 31-1/4 and weighs 700 pounds.
38 between centers on the Robust
40 between centers on the Oneway
The seven year warranty looks really good. It appears to be a bumper to bumper warranty. You just cant drive it to the dealer for repairs. Repairs may have to be approved by a service tech coming to your place and then you are responsible for shipping it in to have the repairs done. The big difference from other tools is you dont have to pay for the repairs. Then again at over $1600.00 more than the Oneway I assume part of that is for the warranty.
I understand what was meant by the mass comment. It makes sense to me. Once you realize what Robust was intending to create with this lathe it all makes sense.
Sorry, I didnt mean to imply the Robust was value engineered. It obviously was not. Just making an observation about things in general.

Jim Barkelew
11-25-2020, 2:31 PM
I too have experience with large CNC machines. Most had a large table and a gantry.

Your comment about mass answers some questions I had. Such as the lathes weight, the removable bed section as oppose to just a bigger swing and longer banjo or turning outboard. It must have been an engineering challenge to create a removable bed section without adding mass or compromising the integrity of the lathe. In six years of turning I have never wished I could slide the headstock, I just don't get that. Each to his own.

When I was thinking about weight, I was not only thinking about vibration. In my mind bolting the lathe to the floor would help eliminate vibration, but if its going to vibrate, it would just do it in place then. I just wondered what was value engineered or just mechanical engineered to achieve less mass. What was made thinner, smaller, or made from an alternate material to keep the mass down or make the machine cheaper to produce. Part of the love people have with the older machines appears to be their mass of being overbuilt. Some were built to last forever. Not saying this is the case with the Robust. It was obviously thought about a lot before it was put on paper and its owners love it. That says a lot about the lathe

Cincinnati 3 spindle 5 axis gantries, 90 ft beds. Also custom designed 7 axis precision drilling machines. Great fun programming those beasts but making sawdust is as much fun.

I have spent many hours on a friend's yellow Powermatic and it just feels "heavy" to me. Not a criticism, but I was thinking of how my engine hoist would be able to get it out of my pickup and how to move it around. Also, I picked up my S16 at SWAT and Brent helped load it into my truck. Pretty good customer service.

Jim

Ron Diamond
11-26-2020, 1:51 AM
I own an American Beauty and have turned on a Robust 16. It is a great lathe, and when you take out the bed section has a huge capacity for when you want to use it. I cannot compare to the Oneway but the Robust is great

Jason Edwards
11-26-2020, 1:02 PM
The Robust Sweet 16 with long bed is 57-1/2 × 28 or 67.7 x 28 if you include the motor. It weighs 480 pounds.
The Oneway 1640 is 60 x 31-1/4 and weighs 700 pounds.
38 between centers on the Robust
40 between centers on the Oneway
The seven year warranty looks really good. It appears to be a bumper to bumper warranty. You just cant drive it to the dealer for repairs. Repairs may have to be approved by a service tech coming to your place and then you are responsible for shipping it in to have the repairs done. The big difference from other tools is you dont have to pay for the repairs. Then again at over $1600.00 more than the Oneway I assume part of that is for the warranty.
I understand what was meant by the mass comment. It makes sense to me. Once you realize what Robust was intending to create with this lathe it all makes sense.
Sorry, I didnt mean to imply the Robust was value engineered. It obviously was not. Just making an observation about things in general.

I'm pretty sure that Oneway weights are shipping weights, which include the crate. Robust weights are actual machine weights. I do own a Sweet 16 standard bed and have to admit I love it. The shipping weight was 650 lbs. if I recall correctly. It just went out of warranty after seven years. To one of the original poster's earlier questions, one nice thing about the Robust Sweet 16 is the ability to turn up to 32" and provide tailstock and live center support. To get something similar on the Oneway 1640, you need to add the outboard bed extension, bigger banjo and tailstock riser. That gets you up to 24" and increases the cost around $900. Both are good lathes, but not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Jim Becker
11-26-2020, 1:57 PM
I just Googled the Sweet 16 just to be sure what the configuration is....the principle is similar to my Stubby 750 with the difference of a removable bed section vs a moveable bed. The end result is turning much bigger than one would normally be able to do on a "sixteen inch" lathe. What I like about this is the compactness. But the Vicmark also has nice compactness for folks who primarily turn bowels, platters and vessels.

Mark Woodmark
11-26-2020, 4:47 PM
Well, because I am fickle, I am now thinking about either a Robust AB or a Oneway 2436. When you upgrade to stainless steel ways on the Oneway, its price will probably be higher than the Robust. I haven't done any twice turning of green wood and at this time dont plan to. Do I really need the SS ways? I also wonder if the SS ways are less or more wear resistant than the steel.

Jim Becker
11-26-2020, 6:22 PM
I personally see no reason for using SS ways unless someone is using a lot of wet material that seems to react with the cast iron. Cleaning and drying it off after use pretty much can deal with the moisture, IMHO. Sounds like "big iron" may be in your immediate future, Mark. :)

Mark Woodmark
11-26-2020, 7:06 PM
I personally see no reason for using SS ways unless someone is using a lot of wet material that seems to react with the cast iron. Cleaning and drying it off after use pretty much can deal with the moisture, IMHO. Sounds like "big iron" may be in your immediate future, Mark. :)

Well I am now leaning towards the Oneway 2436, but I may forget about the SS ways. That is an $820.00 option. Also I would have to have a M33 x 3.5 spindle. They wont make one with a 1-1/4 x 8 spindle. On another note, I have been looking for a Vicmarc VM120 direct thread chuck with no luck in either M33 x 3.5 or 1-1/4 x 8

Prashun Patel
11-26-2020, 9:21 PM
I turn a decent amount of green wood. Ss ways are definitely a nice to have because it will keep them looking pristine. But they are not necessary. Eventually even non ss will develop a patina that will prevent rust in a normal shop. This is contingent upon your shop location.

I would think twice about the metric spindle . A lot of accessories here are available in the imperial. Not a deal breaker but I suspect itd be a nuisance.

I imagine whichever you get, you will believe you made the right choice and you will likely be 100pct happy. The only reason either of these machines would be a regret is if you don’t use them that much to justify the expense. I have used neither, but have read a million reviews of each and have yet to read a negative one for either.

Mark Woodmark
11-26-2020, 9:50 PM
I turn a decent amount of green wood. Ss ways are definitely a nice to have because it will keep them looking pristine. But they are not necessary. Eventually even non ss will develop a patina that will prevent rust in a normal shop. This is contingent upon your shop location.

I would think twice about the metric spindle . A lot of accessories here are available in the imperial. Not a deal breaker but I suspect itd be a nuisance.

I imagine whichever you get, you will believe you made the right choice and you will likely be 100pct happy. The only reason either of these machines would be a regret is if you don’t use them that much to justify the expense. I have used neither, but have read a million reviews of each and have yet to read a negative one for either.

I hate to think the deal breaker is a metric spindle. After talking to Oneway, they wont budge on the spindle due to safety concerns

Timothy Thorpe Allen
11-27-2020, 5:14 AM
I think there are plenty of decent chucks and faceplates available for the 33mm spindle thread, Beall supplies a spindle tap in that size as well for making your own accessories, and then you can always get a 33mm to 1-1/4x8 or 1x8 spindle adapter if necessary. What throws me is the #3 MT in the tailstock quill - whatever possessed them to do that???? ;-)

Steve Mathews
11-27-2020, 9:17 AM
I hate to think the deal breaker is a metric spindle. After talking to Oneway, they wont budge on the spindle due to safety concerns

The M33 spindle on my Oneway 2436 has never been an issue as far as being able to get accessories for it including direct threading chucks. If that were not the case I wouldn't be opposed to an adapter. The spindle on the Oneway is superb and properly hardened.

Jim Becker
11-27-2020, 1:58 PM
What throws me is the #3 MT in the tailstock quill - whatever possessed them to do that???? ;-)

While it's certainly inconvenience, it's likely because of the huge weight capacity that the big OneWay machines supports

roger wiegand
11-27-2020, 5:44 PM
I've always wondered why big heavy lathes use #2 MT's at either end. A #3 seems much more commensurate with the rest of the components on a big lathe.

My Conover was #3 at the headstock and #2 at the tailstock, another perplexing choice. Having both ends the same is way more convenient if you have things you'd like to use at either end, like a Jacobs chuck.

Bob Falk
12-02-2020, 10:38 AM
FWIW, I have owned a Oneway 2436 since the mid 90's and have turned a lot of bowls. It is a great lathe. I am also a personal friend of Brent English, the founder of Robust. When he decided to build the Robust, he interviewed most of the woodturners in our local woodturning club and asked what they did and didn't like about their lathes. He incorporated many features into the Robust that other lathes lacked. While I think the Oneway and Robust are on par regarding build quality, the Robust incorporated several features the Oneway lacked. A few that come to mind are adjustable legs, movable headstock, tilt away tailstock, magnetic control box on a cord instead of a rotating pipe, holder for lathe tools, task light holder, etc. While they both will turn bowls and are quality machines, if I had it to do again, I would buy the Robust (but I am a bit biased).

Peter Blair
12-03-2020, 9:20 AM
Just wondering how each compares in delivered price in the US? Up here above the 49th with the inflated US $$ the Oneway I believe is considerably cheaper. The S16 $8500.00CA without shipping while the Oneway is $4250.00 CA without shipping. Are costs similar in the US?

Mark Woodmark
12-03-2020, 7:55 PM
Just wondering how each compares in delivered price in the US? Up here above the 49th with the inflated US $$ the Oneway I believe is considerably cheaper. The S16 $8500.00CA without shipping while the Oneway is $4250.00 CA without shipping. Are costs similar in the US?

The Sweet 16 is cheaper here in the states. The 1640 is the same price. I ordered Oneway 2436 and the shipping will be over $500.00 U S dollars

Peter Blair
12-04-2020, 9:10 AM
This is interesting as my comparison was based on the price of the S16 on a US site I converted that to Canadian $$ and compared that to the cost in
Canadian funds here in canada. So to sum up the S16 here in Canada shipped to my address would be just about double what the Oneway would be shipped to the same address? I'm not trying slam one to the other just comparing what either would cost here in Canada. I would assume if we used the US dollar and did a similar comparison the results would be similar, am I missing something Mark?

Mark Woodmark
12-04-2020, 9:39 PM
This is interesting as my comparison was based on the price of the S16 on a US site I converted that to Canadian $$ and compared that to the cost in
Canadian funds here in canada. So to sum up the S16 here in Canada shipped to my address would be just about double what the Oneway would be shipped to the same address? I'm not trying slam one to the other just comparing what either would cost here in Canada. I would assume if we used the US dollar and did a similar comparison the results would be similar, am I missing something Mark?

The 1640 was quoted to me at $4510.00 with 2hp motor. The Sweet 16 according to the Robust website is $6895.00 with 2hp motor. Prices not including any sales tax or shipping. That's $2385.00 difference

Mark Woodmark
12-04-2020, 10:09 PM

I ended up ordering a Oneway 2436 with 3hp motor for $6481.00. A Robust AB standard bed with 3hp motor is $7325.00. That's $844.00 difference. Not including any sales tax or shipping. For about $890.00 more you can get a stainless bed on the 2436. Like the comparision between the Sweet 16 and the 1640, it's not exactly apples to apples. The Robusts have more whistles and bells and the Oneways are a heavier machine weight wise

David Metzman
12-20-2020, 12:23 PM
I have a 3HP Oneway. I like it. I have not really ever used another lather much to compare. Some negatives to consider are that the spindle is 33M which is an unusual threading so most chucks, etc do not fit and you have to buy oneway. or put in an adapter and the tail stock is 3MT not 2MT like most lathes. So another issue. So especially if you have a lot of equipment something to consider.