PDA

View Full Version : Laminate edge

Tom Peterson
01-02-2006, 9:15 PM
I am planning on using laminate on all sides of the shelfs inside of cabinets. Is there a method to hide(or minimize) the black line from the laminate substrate so that it does not show? Some of the cabinets will have glass doors so it will show. My distributor has a cabinet lining grade laminate that is .020" thick versus the .045" for the material I had selected so that would reduce the line width, but is quite a bit flimsier (sp)

Doug Shepard
01-02-2006, 9:55 PM
That iron on tape will cover it assuming you can find it in the same color as the laminate that you're using.

Dale Thompson
01-02-2006, 9:55 PM
Tom,
Are you planning to laminate the top, bottom and all four sides of your shelves? :confused: If so, I've never found the "line" to be objectionable, especially if you use the 9 deg. trim bit to "smooth" the intersection. Such is the character of laminates. ;)

I've never tried it but I guess that you could laminate the shelves in the normal manner, rabbett all of the edges, insert a hardwood "filler" and repeat the trimming process. I'm just guessing here but the latter seems to be a lot of work for a very small reward. ;) :)

Tom, for a guy from southeastern Wisconsin, you sure are picky! :) My son-in-law down in Oak Creek thinks that a "stain" is spilled, spiced cappuccino on his tye-dyed T-shirt! :) :D He's a GREAT guy, though! ;)

One more thing, I've saved a lot of "scratched" laminate tops with a simple matching "Sharpie". This only works with patterns but it DOES work!

Good Luck and HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :D

Dale T.

Tom Peterson
01-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Dale, I am not picky the boss (LOML) is the picky one

Dale Thompson
01-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Dale, I am not picky the boss (LOML) is the picky one

Tom,
Just tell your lady that the ENDLESS line around each of the shelves is only the beginning of your everlasting love for her! :)

I wish that all of my problems were THIS easy! ;) :)

Dale T.

Jamie Buxton
01-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Most laminate manufacturers have lines in which the color goes all the way through, so there's no dark line at the edge. It would solve your problem, but it is pricey.

John Lucas
01-03-2006, 1:55 AM
ChemPlast makes iron on in about every mfr color. You can also get Kuehn Bevel in any and all laminate surfaces. Pricey but neat. http://www.kuehnbevel.com/ Door edge is what you would be getting. They use to make this with bevels on top and bottom. May still for a special order.
Outwater Plastics www.outwater.com has every conceivable edging and so much more.

Chris Giles
01-03-2006, 9:44 AM
We used to use an El Marko. Really.

Steve Clardy
01-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Yes. They do make a solid color lam. But as stated above, it's pricey.