PDA

View Full Version : Bananas anyone? (quickie project)

Jim Becker
11-20-2020, 4:34 PM
My older daughter was going to buy a banana stand for her apartment in town...she seems to always forget she's not exactly rolling in money. I stopped the buy and suggested I would just make her one.

30 minutes and a piece of scrap BB later...we have a solution off the CNC with the router table playing a small supporting role for rounding the edges. (not including drying time for the spray bomb shellac)

Sometimes it's the little things... :) :D

Steve Wurster
11-20-2020, 5:43 PM
Very nice, Jim. I might have to make one of those myself... without a CNC of course. Bandsaw here I come!

Jim Becker
11-20-2020, 7:36 PM
Very nice, Jim. I might have to make one of those myself... without a CNC of course. Bandsaw here I come!

Or you could just give me a scrap piece of 300mm x 300mm BB plywood and I can just cut the parts for you in a few minutes for you to roundover, glue and finish. LOL That said, a bandsaw will work just fine. It's just a little more work to clean the edges but if you have a spindle sander, that's relatively quick, too.

roger wiegand
11-21-2020, 7:52 AM
Nice-- but I've gotten by with unhung bananas for many decades now, is there some benefit to hanging one's bananas?

Jim Becker
11-21-2020, 9:40 AM
Nice-- but I've gotten by with unhung bananas for many decades now, is there some benefit to hanging one's bananas?

The benefit I see is potentially less damage and more even ripening...but I could be imagining that. And, of course, some of it is more decorative. On our island (the one in the photos) we have a combination banana hanger with a basket below it where fruits including tomatoes are "corralled". It's convenient and neat.

Bill McNiel
11-21-2020, 12:48 PM
The benefit I see is potentially less damage and more even ripening...but I could be imagining that. And, of course, some of it is more decorative. On our island (the one in the photos) we have a combination banana hanger with a basket below it where fruits including tomatoes are "corralled". It's convenient and neat.

Sounds like underwear to me.

Jim Becker
11-21-2020, 4:07 PM
Sounds like underwear to me.

I'm surprised that Duluth Trading didn't go that way instead of the "bull pen" design for one of theirs. :D :D :D

Stan Calow
11-26-2020, 9:14 AM
Great idea for gifts. Is there a math/physics component to figuring out the balance point?

Mark Rainey
11-26-2020, 3:26 PM
A very useful gift to your daughter!

Jim Becker
11-26-2020, 6:33 PM
Great idea for gifts. Is there a math/physics component to figuring out the balance point?

I'm thinking the same around the gift angle. There's probably some math that would optimize balance for this kind of thing, but honestly...I drew a circle and a rectangle and went from there. LOL

A very useful gift to your daughter!

She's really enjoying it.

Doug Garson
12-01-2020, 1:35 PM
If you don't hang your bananas, how will you keep your other fruit from misbehaving? :rolleyes:

glenn bradley
12-01-2020, 1:38 PM
Nice take in a handy item Jim. Family members are still using theirs from a batch that went out one Christmas. Like you say, sometimes it's the little things.

johnny means
12-04-2020, 8:01 PM
The business man in me automatically translates "30 minutes" into that being a $50 banana hanger.

Jim Becker
12-04-2020, 8:32 PM
The business man in me automatically translates "30 minutes" into that being a $50 banana hanger.

For the first one, for sure, if one was selling them. But if I put a 4x4 piece of BB on my machine and cut out 16+ at one time, the cost would be lower, especially relative to time.

Mel Fulks
12-05-2020, 12:04 AM
If I started using a banana hanger my wife would expect me to hang up my clothes!

Jim Becker
12-05-2020, 11:19 AM
If I started using a banana hanger my wife would expect me to hang up my clothes!

She's a wise partner, for sure...

Steve Wurster
12-05-2020, 11:39 AM
Jim, I told you I might make one of these myself. Looks a lot like yours of course... LOL Now I just gotta find a hook for it.

Jim Becker
12-05-2020, 5:09 PM
Very nice, Steve. "Remarkably similar" LOL True Value over in D'town has the white hooks I bought in a two-pack.