PDA

View Full Version : Better way to do this?

Steven Mikes
11-20-2020, 12:01 PM
I made these decorative rounded grooves around the post by first making a "dado" with saw and chisel, then rounding it out with a round rasp. Is there a more efficient way of doing these? A round plane perhaps, or fluting blade on a plow plane?

Jim Koepke
11-20-2020, 12:54 PM
Gouges have been helpful for this kind of work on my projects:

This is working on end grain. Working across grain is similar. Note the chamfers at the edge of the piece. Also note the blow out on the right side. It works better to work in from both sides.

Light saw cuts or knife lines are helpful to define the boundaries.

jtk

Jim Matthews
11-20-2020, 3:23 PM
I would also saw and rasp this, for control and a uniform layout.

I can't get an "incannel" gouge sharp enough to make that crisp.

Phil Mueller
11-20-2020, 5:41 PM
Great work, Mike. I think I’d stick with your method.

Tom Bender
11-22-2020, 4:56 PM
Make two at the same time by clamping them together and drilling. If you want a little less depth, add a thin piece of scrap in your clamp up. If you want to stick to non powered tools you'll want a post drill or a guide block.

steven c newman
11-23-2020, 1:39 AM
Simple.....if you have a router....use a core box bit.....and a bit of scrap across the post to guide the router....maybe a 3/8" core box bit?

Rob Luter
11-23-2020, 6:39 AM
How many do you need to complete? If I had a few, I might bring some electrons into play and use a router with a core box bit. Line all the posts up together and do a side at a time. Rotate the posts and do it again. If it's just a couple I'd say you have a sound method now.