PDA

View Full Version : Kinda OT, but not really...

Lizzy Thompson
01-02-2006, 8:11 PM
I know this is a band saw box, and not a turned one, but I finished it today, since funds are low and have not been able to get gouges to turn with, I have resigned myself to finishing other long neglected projects. I made this box in Woodcraft's beginning Band saw box class last month. It is Mahogany, and the medallion in the center of the lid is hand-tatted by myself and set in resin. The finish is a matte polyurethane gel that we had left over from some table tops that my DH had made. Wadda y'all think?:p

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/lizzythompson/DSCN0110.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/lizzythompson/DSCN0109.jpg

Carole Valentine
01-02-2006, 8:16 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: It's SQUARE!!!! Run everybody! We're being invaded!

Oh, sorry, it's not an alternate Thursday. :D

Looks very nice Lizzy, even though it is square. At least it has rounded corners.:D

Gary DeWitt
01-02-2006, 8:24 PM
Looks good to me. Well made.
What's a "tat"?
Could you post another pic of that lid but closer, so we can see it? I understand, if that's the closest your camera will focus.

Dave Mcintire
01-02-2006, 8:27 PM
Your project looks very nice. If you want to turn and are on a limited budget, don't forget chisels can be made from old files, planer knives and stuff like that. These items have very good steel in them and make very serviceable tools. I'm sure there are many folks out there turning with tools that once were something else. Some people try useing screw drives - forget this one the steel in them isn't good enough. SOmetime a sharpening shop will have discarded planer knives.

Bill Stevener
01-02-2006, 8:28 PM
Lizzy,

I don't care how hard you try, your not going to get me in to that tatting work, even though it always looks wonderful...
The box looks great.

Guess you didn't dress up one of your DH's old tire irons like I sujested.:D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Carole Valentine
01-02-2006, 8:32 PM
I have not tried them, but I have heard a number of folks say the set from Harbor Freight is very affordable and very good for beginning turners. And as mentioned above, homemade tools work too. Just ask John Hart about his Ugly Stick!:D For a while, I think he did ALL of his turning with that tool! Wish you were closer...I would loan you a gouge or two.

Bill Stevener
01-02-2006, 8:47 PM
Just jumped back in, forget the files. Extremely dangerous!!!!!!!

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-02-2006, 8:58 PM
Good lookin' box, Lizzy.

If you go for the Harbor Freight, Make sure it's the $30.00 HSS set in the wooden box. It's for spindle turning, so you'll have to get a bowl gouge for them.

Bruce

Lizzy Thompson
01-02-2006, 9:19 PM
Here is a BIG picture of the box lid. Glad Y'all like it:p

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/lizzythompson/MahoganyBox.jpg

Keith Burns
01-02-2006, 9:23 PM
Although it is square it is a fine looking box. Don't let these guys scare you off, they have all done flat work:eek: . They will probably excommunicate me for letting their secret out:D

Carole Valentine
01-02-2006, 9:33 PM
Although it is square it is a fine looking box. Don't let these guys scare you off, they have all done flat work:eek: . They will probably excommunicate me for letting their secret out:D

Hush your mouth, Keith! Mamma gonna smack you!:D

Jim Becker
01-02-2006, 10:05 PM
I will have you know that I own a wonderful square bowl by my good friend Joanne Adler (also an SMC member). So I have no problem with this thread...especially since turning with just your fingernails is a little tough, even for a pro!! :D Good Job, Lizzy!

Bill Stevener
01-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Lizzy, when we say we like pictures on SMC, you sure do know how to show them Texas style.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Mike Forsman
01-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Lizzy,

Very nice box.

I'm just getting started in turning also, so I don't really have any extra turning tools laying around or I would loan you some.

Mike

Ernie Nyvall
01-02-2006, 11:03 PM

Even though I have no clue what this person (traitor) has written, I can and do appreciate your fine looking bandsaw bow.:p

It's a very nice box Lizzy.

Ernie

Gary DeWitt
01-03-2006, 1:10 AM
Thanks for the bigger pic. Oh, I see now! Tatting is kinda like lace making. Cool! It's an interesting and creative mix of media you have there. I'm looking forward to seeing some turnings when you get set up. Perhaps you'll want to incorporate other materials into that as well.

John Hart
01-03-2006, 7:37 AM
Very nice box Lizzy!! The inset for the lace is round. (See how I zeroed in on that? Can't get anything past me!! :rolleyes: )
Beautiful piece all around! :)

Robert Mickley
01-03-2006, 8:49 AM

I've been doing flat work for weeks, well months. I can't even hardly see my lathe.

Nice box Lizzy.

Don Baer
01-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Good lookin' box, Lizzy.

If you go for the Harbor Freight, Make sure it's the $30.00 HSS set in the wooden box. It's for spindle turning, so you'll have to get a bowl gouge for them.

Bruce

I have that set of tools and for my limited ability they work fine and although the 3 gouges that it come with are not Bowl gouges I have turned a few bowl with them. I did take one of them and reground it to resemble a bowl gouge. I just copied the profile from Rafkins book.

Good looking box Lizzy.

Lizzy Thompson
01-03-2006, 2:04 PM
I've got 3 gouges coming, they were promos with the lathe my DH bought for me. Don't think a bowl gouge comes with these either. I learned with very big, long handled tools, and I know the size of the tool needed depends on the size of the project being turned, but which do y'all prefer long or short handles and why?

John Hart
01-03-2006, 2:21 PM
Longer the better in my book Lizzie. Better leverage...less chatter...more control. If I need it shorter, I just choke up on it. :)

Jim Becker
01-03-2006, 2:24 PM
Longer handles for general turning, but be careful of long flutes on small diameter tools...they can be unstable if they hang over the tool rest too much. For detailing, sometimes shorter tool handles are convenient. In otherwords, the answer is "Yes...long and short handles!" :D Long handles let you better use your body to stablize the tool for many kinds of cuts.

David Mueller
01-03-2006, 7:58 PM
I've got 3 gouges coming, they were promos with the lathe my DH bought for me. Don't think a bowl gouge comes with these either. I learned with very big, long handled tools, and I know the size of the tool needed depends on the size of the project being turned, but which do y'all prefer long or short handles and why?

Lizzy, If you are interested, I have an extra bowl gouge I can send you gratis. It's not fancy, it's a pinnacle with a 15" handle and my first attempt :eek: at a fingernail grind. Size is supposed to be 3/8" but the flute is closer to 1/4 :confused: so go figure. It was part of my starter set but I've since moved on to others and it sits unused. PM me with where to send it and it's yours. At least you can try it out and eventually pass it on again to a newbie as you progress.

Dick Strauss
01-06-2006, 11:57 PM
David,
that's a very nice offer. I'm constantly reminded of how generous our SMC members really are. I wish I had some tools to donate as well.

Lizzy,
I can't say enough good things about the HF set for $35. This set gives the best bang for the buck that I've found. If the shapes of tools won't work for your style, you can grind them into other shapes. For example, they include a 1" skew that can be made into a nice 1" scraper of any shape. Other than the fact that they don't include a bowl gouge, it is a great set for starting.