PDA

View Full Version : What bench top jointer with Spiral Cutter to purchase?

richard poitras
11-19-2020, 1:15 PM
I am looking for a bench top jointer 6’’ or 8’’ not sure of what brand but want something of better quality. Anyone have any experience or recommendations with these units? I have a nice floor model in storage, but a full-size shop is probably not in the future anytime soon, so I am looking for something temporary and then just sell it in a few years. Any help would be appreciated on what are the better brands these days…

Thanks Richard

Clark Hussey
11-19-2020, 4:01 PM
I have the CutTech 6” jointer, with steel blades. As long as you are only working small stock it is great. And I have never had an issue with it. I plan to upgrade to a full size 8” jointer in the near future.

richard poitras
11-20-2020, 12:01 PM
Thanks Clark for the info on your unit, It seems that Cutech/ Wahuda tools have a good rep. I did also notice that others look just like it ?? Wonder if it makes much difference for something of this cost? As far as brand...

Jeffrey Hood
11-20-2020, 1:42 PM
I have a Cutech 8" with the carbide inserts, and it works great, especially on stock less than 4'... the extensions on the bed work well as long as you don't try to push it too far... great for my limited space and the few times that I need a jointer... got it mostly for the width on getting a face flat when I don't feel like hand planing...

JH

Tim Nguyen
11-20-2020, 1:57 PM
I also have the Cutech 8". When I was buying my jointer, Cutech was the only one that makes an 8" benchtop design. It works well, but being bench top it does limit the length that should be ran across it. The benchtop isn't stable enough to handle long boards and the short infeed and outfeed table doesn't help either. It is a great benchtop and the price point is really great too.

Ray Newman
11-20-2020, 2:06 PM
Cutech/Wahuda machines and country of origin --Taiwan, China, or where???

Bill Carey
11-20-2020, 3:03 PM
Another vote for the Cutech 8". Been using it for about a year now and the beds are still right on and the fence - flimsy tho it may be - is still right at 90. And all the wood I buy - 90% QSWO - is rough so it gets a lot of work. For what I build its' great. Only thing that causes a problem are long table tops. For those I use the planer sled. 4' and under is no problem. 4' to 5' you need to be careful about feeding it. 5' and over goes on the sled. And still using the original knives for a real nice cut.

Robert London
11-22-2020, 8:27 AM
My Cutech 13" Planer is made in Taiwan. I got the best one they had with the snipe lock and carbide cutters. Very nice machine for the money and would recommend based on the performance.