PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Web site updated

Russ Massery
01-02-2006, 7:24 PM
Those of you that haven't got you new catalog yet. They updated there site with all the new stuff.

Richard Wolf
01-02-2006, 7:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Richard

Allen Bookout
01-02-2006, 7:48 PM
That's to bad. This morning I looked at the 8" jointer with the old price and decided to order it tonight before the price increase went into effect but the new price was there. About ninety dollars more so I guess that I will just look around a little more.

John Bailey
01-02-2006, 7:54 PM
Been lookin' at it off and on all afternoon. I like the new "Extreme" bandsaws, and also, the new 15" planer with built-in mobil casters. Haven't looked at their new drum sanders, but I'll get to it soon.

John

Mark Rios
01-02-2006, 8:08 PM
That's to bad. This morning I looked at the 8" jointer with the old price and decided to order it tonight before the price increase went into effect but the new price was there. About ninety dollars more so I guess that I will just look around a little more.

I winced at the increases as well. Even the Holiday prices left us. Maybe if we call our order in we might get some help from a certain bigwig in the company and get the Holiday price??????:D :D :D :D :D

I really like the look of the new jointers with the built-in mobile bases. And the new G0490 8" Jointer !!!!! Very nice.

The extreme bandsaw series look great too. BUT......did anyone notice that the new G0513X has a much bigger table than the G0514X? It seemed funny to me. Plus the extremes have the new resaw fence in addition to the new improved regular fence.

Nothing new with the G1023's though. I guess they didn't want to mess with a good thing.

Very nice looking stuff though.

Frank Hagan
01-02-2006, 8:21 PM
Steel prices went up so much last year. I suspect they couldn't hold the prices much longer!

Shiraz Balolia
01-02-2006, 8:50 PM
[quote=Mark Rios]
Nothing new with the G1023's though. I guess they didn't want to mess with a good thing.
quote]

Didn't look hard enough.

Mark Rios
01-02-2006, 8:54 PM
Okay lol lol I'll go check again. Silly me for not looking hard enough.

Jeremy Gibson
01-02-2006, 9:43 PM
Like many, I've been eyeing the G0586 2HP 8" Jointer. Have you noticed with the increase in shipping costs and the introduction of the G0490 3HP Parallelogram model that it's just a $40 jump for more power and upgraded table design?

I can just here the "while you're at it" bug calling!

Mark Rios
01-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Like many, I've been eyeing the G0586 2HP 8" Jointer. Have you noticed with the increase in shipping costs and the introduction of the G0490 3HP Parallelogram model that it's just a $40 jump for more power and upgraded table design?

I did notice the shipping difference. I just looked and the weight difference is only 19 pounds yet the shipping is $50 more. I wonder if the G0586 is shipped in two boxes for the increased cost.

Here's my amateurness coming out again but..........I'm pretty sure that the 22,000 cuts per minute on the G0586 is better than the 19,600 cpm on the G0490 (higher cpm means smoother surface, especially on figured wood, right?) but is the shorter outfeed table and extra long infeed table on the G0490 a good thing? Do these things matter compared to the extra horsepower?

doug webb
01-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Since i have not recieved my catalog yet, i have been waiting eagerly for the website to update...Thanks for the heads up..Just finished ordering their new baby drum sander......Thanks again. Doug

Jeremy Gibson
01-02-2006, 10:39 PM
I did notice the shipping difference. I just looked and the weight difference is only 19 pounds yet the shipping is $50 more. I wonder if the G0586 is shipped in two boxes for the increased cost.

Here's my amateurness coming out again but..........I'm pretty sure that the 22,000 cuts per minute on the G0586 is better than the 19,600 cpm on the G0490 (higher cpm means smoother surface, especially on figured wood, right?) but is the shorter outfeed table and extra long infeed table on the G0490 a good thing? Do these things matter compared to the extra horsepower?

Good questions. I'm equally an amature but I thought the parallelogram design meant a small gap between the table and the blade regardless of cutting depth.

By the way I notice you're in Modesto. I grew up just down the road in Merced!

Mark Rios
01-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Good questions. I'm equally an amature but I thought the parallelogram design meant a small gap between the table and the blade regardless of cutting depth.

By the way I notice you're in Modesto. I grew up just down the road in Merced!

I'm pretty sure the parallelogram design is pretty big deal. I just don't know enough about it. I really would like to know the if one is preferable to the other. Seems like the two should be merged.

I'm just a transplant here in Modesto. I was born and raised in Santa Cruz on the coast. Came here in '86.

Robert Waddell
01-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Papa Grizzly,
As a happy owner of a G0513 I was very interested in the changes you guys made to the saw. The new guides and wheels look good. I hope you are going to offer to sell these to those of us with the older versions. I didn't see any changes to the stamped steel trunions and this is the one change that would really make it more rugged. I am a full time WW'er and every now and then I have to cut a large piece of wood. It would be nice not to have to be so careful with the table. Just my thoughts.
Rob

Barry O'Mahony
01-03-2006, 2:26 AM
That's to bad. This morning I looked at the 8" jointer with the old price and decided to order it tonight before the price increase went into effect but the new price was there. About ninety dollars more so I guess that I will just look around a little more.Well, it's not like you didn't get any warning. At first we heard here the changes were scheduled for midneight on New Year's, then the CEO himself told us here it would be around noon today. You snooze, you lose, I guess. ;)

John Bailey
01-03-2006, 7:42 AM
The G0514 has a listed 19x19 table. I've noticed in the picture, it looked more like the new table on the G0513. Sometimes the numbers are not correct in the description, so the table on the G0514 could be larger also and the table size in the description was not changed. We'll have to wait and see. I also noticed the G0514 is only 10 lbs. heavier. That seems odd. These are definitely two machines I'll be looking at so any info anybody gets would be greatly appreciated.

John

tod evans
01-03-2006, 8:50 AM
john, what features;resaw height, throat depth,motor size,blade guides etc. are you in the market for? and what price are you hoping to avoid? tod

Erik Rudd
01-03-2006, 4:30 PM
Papa Grizzly,
As a happy owner of a G0513 I was very interested in the changes you guys made to the saw. The new guides and wheels look good. I hope you are going to offer to sell these to those of us with the older versions. I didn't see any changes to the stamped steel trunions and this is the one change that would really make it more rugged. I am a full time WW'er and every now and then I have to cut a large piece of wood. It would be nice not to have to be so careful with the table. Just my thoughts.
Rob

Robert, you hit the nail on the head. I too, would love to see the guides and cast iron wheels offered as upgrade items for existing G0513 owners. I plan to have a local machine shop make some beefier trunions.

John Bailey
01-03-2006, 7:39 PM
Todd,

What I wanted was 12" of resaw, 3 hp., 16-18" cast iron wheels, 400-500 lbs. standing weight, cast-iron trunions, enlarged table and $1,200 to $1,400. Something like an 18" model of Grizzly's 21" model, or their 18" model with 12" of resaw. The 19" model seems a bit light weight for that size. If they could convince me the G0514X could fully tension a 1" blade, it would probably be at the top of my list. Right now the G0566 is at the top of my list with the G0513X very close. If I decide to spend more money, the Bridgewood PBS 440 would be my choice. To tell you the truth, since I'm still working on my shop, I don't really have room for any of them, so I can afford to wait for a good deal on one of them, or some others. I'm spending all my extra cash on the building.

John

Mark Rios
01-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Todd,

What I wanted was 12" of resaw, 3 hp., 16-18" cast iron wheels, 400-500 lbs. standing weight, cast-iron trunions, enlarged table and $1,200 to $1,400. Something like an 18" model of Grizzly's 21" model, or their 18" model with 12" of resaw. The 19" model seems a bit light weight for that size. If they could convince me the G0514X could fully tension a 1" blade, it would probably be at the top of my list. Right now the G0566 is at the top of my list with the G0513X very close. If I decide to spend more money, the Bridgewood PBS 440 would be my choice. To tell you the truth, since I'm still working on my shop, I don't really have room for any of them, so I can afford to wait for a good deal on one of them, or some others. I'm spending all my extra cash on the building.

John

John, I'm confused. You state that you like the 513X. But the 513X has 17" wheels, smaller throat capacity, and only takes a 1" max blade. The 514X lists a max blade size of 1 1/4". I understand that the max blade size on any given saw is hard to fully tension so it seems that the 514X would fit the bill better. What am I not understanding?:confused:

John Bailey
01-04-2006, 5:55 AM
Mark,

I think you're confused because I was confusing. I would like to know whether or not either machine can come close to tensioning the blades their descriptions support. I would like to use a 1" blade if possible. If the G0514X can tension a 1" blade, I would be very interested in that machine. If I were to go with the G0513X, I wouldn't worry about the 1" blade. I would probably settle for a 3/4" blade. From what I've read, most bandsaws in this weight catagory can't tension a 1" blade. However, I'm still learning and hope to find out more through these posts. So far, I haven't found a saw that fits all of my criteria. Just hoping I can find one that meets most. Hope that clears it up, at least a little.

John

tod evans
01-04-2006, 7:24 AM
john, being as you`re in no hurry i`ve seen very nice 20" 2 speed rockwells go for as little as 750 with a 5hp baldor motor and carter guides. unless you feel you need new keep your eyes and ears open, the saws that will honestly work well with a 1" blade are not those that most folks want for their garage shops so the market is a little more relaxed. if you where closer i could stear you toward folks that deal in used stuff but being way up north i can`t help much from here. sorry, tod

John Bailey
01-04-2006, 9:17 AM
Todd,

I've seen those and think they might do well for what I want. Most of my work would be done with smaller blades, but I've got trees all over on my property and I'll want something to saw up some boards. Do you know if the Rockwell's will handle small blades also?

Some time the end of March, I hope to be done with my shop so I can start putting some machines in. I'll have a week off and last March I came down to Mt. View, AR to look up some old friends. If I ended up finding the right bandsaw down there, I might just get it and throw it in the pick-up. Even if I didn't find a used one, I might pick up something new at Grizzly on my way through Springfield, MO. Don't go lookin' around a lot, because chances are I wouldn't get it, but if something pops up, I'd like to know.

John

tod evans
01-04-2006, 9:23 AM
john, i used to own one of the old rockwells and yes they do fine with a 1/4" blade. i`ll ask a few friends and see what`s available? if you head south you`ll have to stop by and at least say hi:)