PDA

View Full Version : Extension table with digital stop for Whirlwind upcut saw

Bobby Robbinett
11-16-2020, 7:21 AM
So several months ago I picked up a used Whirlwind 212R not sure what I would do with it. Decided to restore it and replace the airlines, belts, and several other miscellaneous parts. I getting ready to repaint the cabinet body and reassemble everything to put it into use. Figured it would be a much more accurate way of cutting 90’s compared to my Dewalt miter saw which will still see plenty of use as well.

The only thing is that my Whirlwind did not come with the extension tables. I don’t have room in my shop for both an in feed and out feed extension so I thought that I would I would focus on setting up one extension table and find a track and stop system for it. Preferably a digital stop system.

This is where I could use some help. I don’t want to spend several thousand dollars on a Tiger Stop or Saw Gear system. I have looked at the Accurate Technology Inc Digi Stop and their Pro Stop as well as the Glide Stop system. I like that the Glide Stop system comes with the extension table not just a fence and stop but that is a little out of my price range at a bit over $2,000. The ProStop is roughly $1,200 and the Digi Stop is $500 but both of those would require that I build a table extension rather than being a kit. I could go with the stock Whirlwind extension from their parts department which is only $650 for the extension and $200 for the fence and stop then I could add something like a Wixey digital fence device.

So basically I am wondering if you guys think that I would be better off going with the Digi Stop and a diy extension or the Pro Stop and a diy extension or would the factory made Whirlwind extension with a Wixey DRO be better? Is the Pro Stop worth nearly double the cost of the Digi Stop? The Whirlwind option is roughly equal to the Pro Stop in terms of price. What say you gentlemen?