PDA

View Full Version : Martin factory tour.

Mark Hennebury
11-14-2020, 5:47 PM
Quite fascinating!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Na_3tTZ2w

Frederick Skelly
11-14-2020, 5:53 PM
That was cool!

Rob Luter
11-14-2020, 6:00 PM
Cool, but hoping for CF Martin guitars.

Andrew Seemann
11-14-2020, 6:09 PM
Cool, but hoping for CF Martin guitars.

Funny, I assumed it would be them at first as well.

Halgeir Wold
11-14-2020, 6:16 PM
Here's one from 2010....six parts..... there's more.. just google...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzD9APh4Amg

Patrick Kane
11-14-2020, 9:13 PM
Oh nice, when I first looked at that a couple weeks ago, it didn’t have the option for English subtitles. I watched a bit, and then quickly admitted I wasn’t gaining much from viewing a mostly conversation based video In German.

johnny means
11-14-2020, 10:18 PM
Just caught myself drooling over that crosscut fence.

Steve Rozmiarek
11-15-2020, 11:07 AM
That was a great tour, thanks for posting! It's fun to see how that beast of a saw compares to the dainty little Felder in my shop. I can definitely understand the price difference!

John TenEyck
11-15-2020, 11:20 AM
Thanks for posting that. I, too, first thought it would be about Martin guitars. I enjoyed listening to the German and was trying to figure out where the company is located from the accent of the company guy when he said Allgaeu at some point, which is a very pretty, mostly rural, mountainous area in south central Germany. I'd love to take a factory tour. Like most German companies I've visited the factory was incredibly clean and organized. I was somewhat surprised they filled the frames of some of their machines with cement, but it does make sense from a vibration absorption standpoint. I wonder how much the featured machine weighs in at.

John

Robyn Horton
11-15-2020, 11:35 AM
Wow Martin T75 PreX Automatic Sliding Table Saw.Weight - 4400 - 4800lbs

Peter Kelly
11-15-2020, 11:47 AM
The Pennsylvania Cable Network did a great video tour of CF Martin Guitars years ago. Worth checking out if you're an Amazon Prime subscriber: https://www.amazon.com/PCN-Tours-Martin-Guitars-Part/dp/B0042QJAFY

Joe Calhoon
11-15-2020, 10:05 PM
Thanks for posting that. I, too, first thought it would be about Martin guitars. I enjoyed listening to the German and was trying to figure out where the company is located from the accent of the company guy when he said Allgaeu at some point, which is a very pretty, mostly rural, mountainous area in south central Germany. I'd love to take a factory tour. Like most German companies I've visited the factory was incredibly clean and organized. I was somewhat surprised they filled the frames of some of their machines with cement, but it does make sense from a vibration absorption standpoint. I wonder how much the featured machine weighs in at.

John,
the factory is located in Ottobeuren. Yes in the Allgäu region. A very nice area and town. Here is a picture looking at the town from the Abby. Last time I was there was 2016. Lot of changes since then.

Brian Holcombe
11-15-2020, 11:23 PM
Not unusual for machine manufacturers to fill weldment style frames with cement, I believe it is fairly common in the cnc world to use cement or granite epoxy. There is quite a bit to it from my understanding, hence his comment on how the machines won’t ring and sound ‘dead’ when you knock on them, the cement used can’t shrink away from the walls Or it defeats the purpose.

Warren Lake
11-15-2020, 11:59 PM
SCM were doing it 30 or 40 years ago or more, not on the Invincible at least on the ones I have but they have some other type of mores substantial base.

Im still going to line stuff with Duct Seal. Did place a bulk order and it wasnt the right stuff, brush on instead of the putty. The table saw will benefit from it right away. It runs smooth already but if its off and I knock on some panels they ring, no big deal but will be better.

445100 445101

Bruce Mack
11-16-2020, 9:31 AM
It was a "golly, gee whiz" tour. There were too many jump cuts and I saw little of the actual operation of the saw.

Patrick Kane
11-16-2020, 10:29 AM
It was a "golly, gee whiz" tour. There were too many jump cuts and I saw little of the actual operation of the saw.

Agreed, i think the video needed to be 60 mins and not 28. I appreciated the detail that went into the "knee pulley" explanation, and the outrigger's mitering technology. I think watching the parts being machined could have been a nice touch.

Im astonished that Robyn is correct. That machine is unbelievably heavy depending on the spec. 3,500lbs at its lightest and 4,600lbs at its heaviest. WOW. I also just looked up the original T75 from the 1970s, which weighs in at only 2,300lbs. For all those that have the mantra, "they dont make em like they used to", you can stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

I have a Martin T17 in pieces in my garage right now, and i cannot imagine how or why that machine would need to be heavier. It is a lightweight in the context of the above. It only weighs 1,650lbs