PDA

View Full Version : Choice of materials...

Don Baer
01-02-2006, 6:16 PM
LOML has decided that my next project should be some office furniture for the new house. She found a picture that she likes in an add for office Max. She wants it made of OAK. The pieces consist of 4 pieces. A computer desk that will be L shaped desk 71"x71". on top of one section of the will sit an armour with places for computer paper and other such. Next to the desk will be a 2 drawer files cabinate and last will be a frestanding bookcase 71" tall. Originaly I planned on using OAK plywood for the casework and solid oak for the facework and doors/drawers.

When I mentioned this to her she said "I thought you're going to make it out of solid wood." Now I have no problem doing this but here is my delima. Presently we live in Southern Cal where normaly the humidity is 20-30% (except today its 90% cause its raining)

In June we will be relocating to the Phoenix area where the humidity can be any where from 0- 10%. It will be in an aircondidtioned house but still low humidity.

I figured that the the plywood would be more stable. Should I talk her into the plywood or should I just make it from solid wood and plan on buying a humidifier...:confused:

Don Baer
01-03-2006, 7:21 PM
well, now I have a real problum making a decision. I calculated how much lumber I would need and making the set out of solid wood vs Shhet good and called my hardwood suplier and the price for making these pieces out of solid wood and the price for 4/4 oak (3.25 db.ft.) vs high qaulity plywood with solid faces and frames come out to pretty much a wash.

I'm leaning toward the solid wood unless someone out there talkes me out of it....:confused:

I know I should be working but it's "been a slow day at the office" ;)

Cecil Arnold
01-03-2006, 7:30 PM
Don, I know you're smarter than that. LOML said she wanted solid wood, end of conversation.

Don Baer
01-03-2006, 8:11 PM
I guess your right Cecil. Does anyone have any recomendations on a good whole house humidifier ?..;)

Silas Smith
01-03-2006, 8:31 PM
Don, is she really going to know if you use plywood and face frame it? My wife wouldn't. It seems like the worst case scenario with 100% wood is far worse that part wood part ply.

Steve Clardy
01-03-2006, 8:54 PM
I'd go with plywood. Much easier, faster.

Jim Becker
01-03-2006, 9:04 PM
If you design and build with wood movement in mind, working with solid stock will not be a problem. Steve's point about faster, is true...but if the boss wants you to build with sticks, build with sticks!

Now...you really need to select your lumber carefully so that you can grain match your surfaces for the best results and to accomodate said movement mentioned above. Remember, your finish starts when you pick out the boards!