PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley Replica Egg-Beater Drill

Hilton Ralphs
11-13-2020, 5:44 AM
A new/old egg beater drill is now available from Lee Valley. Looks interesting. I have enough vintage models so probably won't buy one but it looks cool.

The blurb on the web page (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/drills/110669-lee-valley-replica-egg-beater-drill?item=15N1001) is as follows;

Named for the bevel gear mechanism they share with the kitchen implement, egg-beater drills allow precision and control that make them well suited for small and delicate work.
This replica is closely based on the collectible Whitney patent drill originally produced near the end of the 19th century. A relatively small drill, it excels at predrilling for screws and other light-duty tasks.

Like many tools of the time, the original had intricate hand-painted decoration that we have chosen to cast into the tool; you can detail them with paint or colored lacquer if you want to highlight the vintage aesthetic.

Two collets are included, one that accepts drill bits from 1/64" to 3/64" and the other drill bits from 1/16" to 3/32". Made of a tough zinc-aluminum alloy with a black powder-coat finish, with stainless-steel chuck and collets and a wooden crank handle.

Made in Canada.

William Fretwell
11-13-2020, 7:37 AM
It’s only $1 more than the egg-beater!
Make sure your wife buys the right ‘egg-beater’ for Christmas!

Michael Fross
11-13-2020, 1:46 PM
I'm afraid that when I put the bits in the handle, they'll just fall everywhere :)

Frederick Skelly
11-13-2020, 3:31 PM
Thanks Hilton. I missed that item.
How are things in Johannesburg, relative to Covid? Are you and your family ok?
Fred

Hilton Ralphs
11-13-2020, 4:04 PM
How are things in Johannesburg, relative to Covid? Are you and your family ok?
Fred

Yes all good thanks Fred. For some reason we have nothing like the attrition rate seen in the US. Not sure why though. Been watching your elections pan out and here's hoping the economy gets back on track.

Mel Fulks
11-13-2020, 5:53 PM
It's not a replica, just a copy. Replica was specifically coined to mean a copy made made by the original artist.
The drills are fun, glad they are back.

Winston Chang
11-13-2020, 6:20 PM
If you want to be pedantic, the word "replica" has a few different meanings, and this drill still counts as a replica.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/replica
1. a copy or reproduction of a work of art produced by the maker of the original or under his or her supervision.
2. any close or exact copy or reproduction.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/replica
1: an exact reproduction (as of a painting) executed by the original artist
// a replica of this was painted … this year
— Constance Strachey
2: a copy exact in all details
// DNA makes a replica of itself
// sailed a replica of the Viking ship
broadly : COPY
// this faithful, pathetic replica of a Midwestern suburb
— G. F. Kennan

Mel Fulks
11-13-2020, 7:10 PM
Yes, it's been mis-used and watered down. But it's origin is well documented. Coined in 1826, If memory serves.
The bigger deal is I need to recognize it's a lost cause. I apologize.
But I have to add that the loss of accuracy is bad thing. No purpose is served by lots of words all used for the same
thing.

Clark Magnuson
11-21-2020, 9:23 PM

My father's Millers Falls drill handle broke in 1956 and he repaired it poorly.

In 2020 I cloned a correct handle and knob.