PDA

View Full Version : Walmart FREE Unlimited Delivery $98 a year but its free (Sarcasm)

Bert Kemp
11-12-2020, 3:46 PM
More savings. More time. More joy in your day.Get free unlimited delivery*, member prices on fuel, & more.Only $12.95/month or $98/year
'https://www.walmart.com/grocery/plus/address?veh=dsn&sourceid=dsn_ov_22d753d4-c563-4854-a909-8a0694db8d97&cn=FY21-WPL-1P-OPD_tp_sto_dsn_dis_ov_wpl&wmlspartner=dsn_ov_22d753d4-c563-4854-a909-8a0694db8d97"]Start 15-day free trial'

Doug Garson
11-12-2020, 4:59 PM
What am I missing? Isn't this just a blatant ad for Walmart?

Frank Pratt
11-12-2020, 5:02 PM
The down side is that to take advantage, you'd actually have to buy something from Walmart.

Ken Combs
11-13-2020, 11:37 AM
Not much different than Amazon Prime. Except for the gasoline discount, which is a perk I'd use. The issue with both is the lack of clarity about who is really selling the item. Makes a difference on warranty and customer service.

In either case trying to convince John Q. Public that he is getting 'free' stuff for a fee is just silly.

WalMart has ties to my town so I see them a lot differently than most. The family money has benefited us in several ways. Really nice performing arts center for one.

They are a retailer and behave just like all the rest. Low wages, minimal benefits etc are just a characteristic of the industry.

glenn bradley
11-13-2020, 12:12 PM
I believe Bert is pointing out the goofy-ness of offering something for free that you have to pay for. One of those technicalities that marketing loves so much. The shipping is free but, the membership to the free-shipping-club is $xx :D. Cable TV for $39.99 (plus another $40 of service fees, local tariffs, equipment charges etc.) and the like.

Ron Selzer
11-13-2020, 12:38 PM
I believe Bert is pointing out the goofy-ness of offering something for free that you have to pay for. One of those technicalities that marketing loves so much. The shipping is free but, the membership to the free-shipping-club is $xx :D. Cable TV for $39.99 (plus another $40 of service fees, local tariffs, equipment charges etc.) and the like.

I agree, I believe this was posted as satire. not as an add
Ron

Doug Garson
11-13-2020, 1:41 PM
Agreed, I didn't get the sarcasm, my bad. :mad:
Another example is the "get the second one free, just pay separate service and handling fee". :cool:

Stan Calow
11-13-2020, 1:45 PM
Yep. Goofy, misleading and - effective.

Bert Kemp
11-13-2020, 8:35 PM
Yep. Goofy, misleading and - effective.

Effective to those that fall for the scam LOL

Bruce Wrenn
11-13-2020, 8:53 PM
BOGO, to heck with that, just give me the free one. If I have to buy one to get one free, then that means they are half priced when I buy two. With Amazon prime, it's simplest to have one person in your group, or family have membership. Let them do all the ordering, and have shipped to each member of group as requested.

Bill Dufour
11-13-2020, 9:57 PM
I often see deals like 0.99 for one and only 1.99 for two shrink wrapped together in a bargain pack.
Bill D

Brian Elfert
11-14-2020, 9:38 AM
I often see deals like 0.99 for one and only 1.99 for two shrink wrapped together in a bargain pack.

A co-worker recommended I buy something from Amazon. He also recommended buying a multipack to save money. I checked Amazon and a single tube was $3.99. The multipacks were as high as $8 a tube and none as cheap as just buying single tubes.

Brian Elfert
11-14-2020, 9:39 AM
I knew this thread was sarcasm from just reading the original thread title before the sarcasm bit was added.

Doug Garson
11-14-2020, 11:50 AM
I knew this thread was sarcasm from just reading the original thread title before the sarcasm bit was added.
OK, got it, this time I recognize the sarcasm. :cool:

Ron Citerone
11-14-2020, 1:35 PM
I think a better term would be “Unlimited shipping?”

Bruce Wrenn
11-14-2020, 3:21 PM
Bill D

Walmart is currently selling an Energizer LED flash light. In loose display, the are $2.50. Up by cash registers in blister pack, same light is $4.95. In high school, my sister worked for a "Dime Store.( Remember those?) They had dish cloths 30 cents each, or three for a dollar with a rubber band around them. Her job was to every hour go by and bundle three from the loose ones and mark them three for a dollar

Brian Elfert
11-14-2020, 5:09 PM
Walmart is currently selling an Energizer LED flash light. In loose display, the are $2.50. Up by cash registers in blister pack, same light is $4.95. In high school, my sister worked for a "Dime Store.( Remember those?) They had dish cloths 30 cents each, or three for a dollar with a rubber band around them. Her job was to every hour go by and bundle three from the loose ones and mark them three for a dollar

I have read stories from the old days where a grocery store would have an end cap of some sort of canned food for say 25 cents each. It wasn't selling so they changed the price to three for $1. They flew off the shelf even though the price had been increased.

On an episode of Little House on the Prairie the Merchantile ran something like a 25% off sale ad in all the local small town newspapers. Customers drove/rode their wagons, buggies, and horses from all over the surrounding area to buy at the sale prices. What the Merchantile didn't tell anyone was they raised all the prices something like 30% so the sale prices were higher than regular prices.

lowell holmes
11-14-2020, 5:53 PM
Well,
I go to Walmart and buy things. They have a good selection of goods and also their gasoline is cheaper.

Jim Becker
11-14-2020, 6:19 PM
It does seem silly at first with the way it's worded but consider that there are a number of online vendors that have what I'll call a membership fee that among a number of potential benefits also includes free shipping no matter what size the order is. Amazon Prime is one example. StewMac (luther supplies) is another...I pay them a $39 a year fee but even if I buy a $2 item...alone...it shows up here in a few days. I order more than enough that pre-paying $39 saves me substantially over the year for what my run rate is for purchases where I would have had to pay for shipping. Whether or not these deals like Walmart, Amazon, StewMac and others offer are a good deal for someone really depends upon how much stuff one orders from them. I don't give Wally World any of my money for any reason, but Amazon Prime pays in spades for us because of the free shipping as well as other benefits, such as 5% rebates on the CC.

So when you peel back the onion from the stupid language...there's a bit more to the story. Folks who order a lot from Walmart and meet whatever the conditions are for any free shipping with the membership should come out ahead. Casual buyers...not so much. Same for the others.

Bill Dufour
11-14-2020, 11:49 PM
The other thing is walmart shipping is free if the order is 35$ or more. So paying extra for free shipping is questionable. If you are willing to pay $90 a year for free shipping I bet most of your orders are over $35 to begin with.
Bil lD

Bert Kemp
11-15-2020, 12:06 AM
the other thing is walmart shipping is free if the order is 35$ or more. So paying extra for free shipping is questionable. If you are willing to pay $90 a year for free shipping i bet most of your orders are over $35 to begin with.
Bil ld
bingo!!! .........................................

Bill Dufour
11-15-2020, 9:37 AM
Speaking of sarcasm, Bert I noticed your logo, does Arizona still have the largest US Navy base? I know Nevada has some big ones.
Bil lD

Tom Stenzel
11-15-2020, 10:37 AM
Speaking of sarcasm, Bert I noticed your logo, does Arizona still have the largest US Navy base? I know Nevada has some big ones.
Bil lD

Bill, if I could upvote this I would.

-Tom

Bert Kemp
11-15-2020, 11:11 AM
Bil lD

I don't get the sarcasm, I didn't think there are any Navy Base's in AZ LOL

Bill Dufour
11-15-2020, 12:38 PM
I was wrong, Nevada has the big navy bases. Arizona just has a few. Sarcastic because they are both deserts with no oceans even if they do have lots of sand.
The navy base in Nevada is so busy they had a buried fuel pipeline from the refinery in the San Francisco bay area

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Air_Station_Fallon

Brian Elfert
11-15-2020, 12:46 PM
The other thing is walmart shipping is free if the order is 35$ or more. So paying extra for free shipping is questionable. If you are willing to pay $90 a year for free shipping I bet most of your orders are over $35 to begin with.

I have Amazon Prime through a shared account. I have placed 32 orders so far this year. Exactly 50% of those orders are less than the free shipping minimum so I order a lot of small stuff because I don't have to meet a minimum for shipping. I am about to place another Amazon order that is less than the free shipping minimum.

Bill Dufour
11-15-2020, 2:11 PM
So if shipping costs $6.00 per non free order you broke even.
Bill D

Jim Becker
11-15-2020, 4:32 PM
I was wrong, Nevada has the big navy bases. Arizona just has a few. Sarcastic because they are both deserts with no oceans even if they do have lots of sand.
The navy base in Nevada is so busy they had a buried fuel pipeline from the refinery in the San Francisco bay area

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Air_Station_Fallon

The "business end" of the NAVY is certainly sea-based, but they still need a lot of logistics capacity on-land. The desert southwest has a lot of advantages for that kind of thing. And these days, all of the services intermix a lot more, too. A friend's husband just got back from a year of on-land assignment in the middle east...he was in charge of the security for an entire base (on land, not on the water) and is a Navy man. Lots of Navy folks out there off the water!

Edit...I just recalled that until a few years ago, there was a Naval air station in Willow Grove a few miles down the road from here...we're about 100 miles from the ocean. There was a large research center not far from there, too.

Bert Kemp
11-15-2020, 6:33 PM
For the largest Navel bases read here https://www.naval-technology.com/features/featurethe-biggest-naval-bases-in-the-us-4144545/

Bill Dufour
11-15-2020, 10:24 PM
The Nevada bases do a lot of naval gunfire training and testing and bomb ranges for aircraft. Kinda hard to test 16" guns in built up neighborhoods. I would not want to have 2,000 pound shells flying over my house. They no longer test atomic bombs in Nevada.
Bil lD.

Bert Kemp
11-15-2020, 10:41 PM
The Nevada bases do a lot of naval gunfire training and testing and bomb ranges for aircraft. Kinda hard to test 16" guns in built up neighborhoods. I would not want to have 2,000 pound shells flying over my house. They no longer test atomic bombs in Nevada.
Bil lD.

I really don't think the Navy test 16" guns in NV these guns are mounted on Battle ships and tested at sea on the ships that are built for them.

Peter Kelly
11-16-2020, 12:35 AM
Third-party sellers on Amazon usually include the cost of shipping with "free shipping for Prime members" items. Just Google the seller's website and look for the same item next time you see it on the right side of the corresponding Amazon page.

Howard Garner
11-16-2020, 7:18 AM
The Navy stored 16" barrels in Nevada and Idaho. These needed to be relined very so many shots.
The locations were chosen during WW2 to be far enough away from the coast to be out of canger.

Howard Garner ex USN

Keith Outten
11-16-2020, 9:06 AM
The largest Navy base is in Norfolk Virginia.
There is a Navy firing range in the Atlantic ocean way off the coast of Virginia Beach.
The catapults on all the Nuclear carriers are tested in the James River.
i could probably write a book :)

I don't know how you folks can live so far from the ocean or even a large river.
The blue dot on the map is SawMill Creek.

Brian Elfert
11-16-2020, 4:21 PM
So if shipping costs $6.00 per non free order you broke even.

I assume you are talking about my post. Someone else pays for my Prime account so it costs me nothing. I probably wouldn't have a Prime account if I had to pay the $119 for it. One of the good things about Prime is I can often, but not always, get the items faster than free shipping with another vendor. I won't order anything fulfilled by Amazon when I don't have Prime as Amazon intentionally delays free shipping orders. (Thousands of people mentioning this online.)

I always check various shopping sites when I order something and don't need it quick. The lowest total price usually wins. I find it isn't unusual for shipping to be more than $6 for a small $10 to $20 order. I just bought some metric bolts I couldn't find locally from Amazon as their shipped price was less than any other place.

Bill Dufour
11-16-2020, 11:29 PM
I looked up the claim that Norfolk is the largest navy base, it is only 3,400 acres which is only 5 square miles. I suppose by modern naming conventions that may be true but Fallon navy air station is 240,000 acres, all on dry land.
San Francisco bay which one of the best natural harbors in the world and, definitely the best harbor in North America, has no navy bases anymore.
Bill D

Bert Kemp
11-16-2020, 11:57 PM
Bill acreage wise NV is bigger only because it has more land but that land is a bombing range . Theres only about 3000 People stationed there.Norfolk Nave Base population includes more than 80,000 active duty personnel, 112,000 family members and 30,000 civilians

Bill Please read here and learn
https://www.ourmilitary.com/best-navy-bases/

Lee Schierer
11-17-2020, 3:22 PM
If you add up all the Navy facilities in the Norfolk area there is considerably more than just the Naval Base. For instance: Norfolk Naval base, NAS Norfolk, Craney Island Navy Supply Center, Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Naval Operational Support Center Norfolk, Naval Operational Support Center Norfolk, US Navy Department Amphibious Group, Joint Amphibious Support Base, NavFac Norfolk, IWTG Norfolk, etc.

Howard Garner
11-17-2020, 4:23 PM
If you add up all the Navy facilities in the Norfolk area there is considerably more than just the Naval Base. For instance: Norfolk Naval base, NAS Norfolk, Craney Island Navy Supply Center, Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Naval Operational Support Center Norfolk, Naval Operational Support Center Norfolk, US Navy Department Amphibious Group, Joint Amphibious Support Base, NavFac Norfolk, IWTG Norfolk, etc.

Not to mention Naval Air Station Oceana and he weapons training facility (Dam Neck) out in Virginia Beach

Howard Garner (MTC retired)

lowell holmes
11-17-2020, 4:57 PM
I will reply, I was in the navy. You never give up your heritage because you retire. I was on Key West Fla. on DE 252, Howard D. Crow and one day we were training sonarmen and I looked behind us and saw the Nautilus on the surface making over 20 knots with a rooster tail 30 ft in the air.