PDA

View Full Version : table leg protectors

Jim Riseborough
11-12-2020, 12:51 PM
So the table I am building will be on a rug, but still think I should put something on the bottom. They are big legs, (see pic) was thinking about milling my own, what material do you suggest? Was thinking just some HDPE and screw em on. 444890

Jim Becker
11-12-2020, 1:04 PM
Thin HDPE is generally one good material for this as it tends to be scratch free to other surfaces, although it also slides easily on hard surfaces. Be sure you countersink the fasteners well if you go this route. If this was not on carpet, something "less slippery" would be a better choice, IMHO.

Jim Riseborough
11-12-2020, 2:23 PM
Thanks. I also ordered some 1/2" thick felt, I can cut that and hopefully recess a fastener, or just glue it on.

mark mcfarlane
11-12-2020, 4:34 PM
Jim,

I've had furniture 'feet' fail on me and the remaining bits gouge hardwood floors. If it was me I'd just radius/ease the bottom of the legs a little bit and not worry about any feet unless I had a leveling issue to deal with.

It seems like no matter what you put on legs they will end up getting dirt or sand under them and scratch the floor. This happens with felt also: felt is exceptional at holding a grain of sand in place.

Nowadays I try to lift and clean the wood legs (and the floor) before sliding furniture, or avoid sliding if possible.

Jim Riseborough
11-12-2020, 5:21 PM
I have the ends radiused(sp). It will be on a rug, so not a huge deal. I will see how the felt idea works out too