PDA

View Full Version : Completed Commission!

Bill Arnold
01-02-2006, 3:29 PM
Hi All.

Long time, no post -- just not enough hours in the day any more, it seems. Anyway, I just delivered my first 'real' commission! One of my doctors asked a few months ago if I could help them with a situation in their family room. She's our primary care physician and he's a plastic surgeon (nah, I'm beyond hope when it comes to plastic surgery!).

The situation is that he has 'his' computer in the family room so he can watch the big screen TV while working at the computer. His monitor and keyboard are on a sofa table behind a sofa that sticks out from a wall. There is another sofa along the wall. They had a small table for a lamp with his computer and printer under it. She wanted things hidden away so the cabling was concealed. He just wanted her to be happy! By the way, both are artists and do beautiful work in oils, etc.

An enclosed cabinet would, of course, create a heat problem and they didn't really want a fan running all the time. My objective was to create a cabinet that appeared fairly 'normal' (whatever that is) while taking care of the heat. The solution was a totally open bottom to provide the air supply and a lattice in the top half of all side and door panels for heat escape. The attached photos show the result.

The exterior of the cabinet is solid honduras mahogany with interior panels and stretchers made from sandee ply sprayed to resemble mahogany. Transtint 'Dark Mission Brown' blended with NC lacquer provided the toning, with all components shaded resulting in an appearance that is mindful of sunlight playing through the leaves of a tree.

If you haven't already figured it out from the photos, the computer sits in the tray on the right, printer in the tray on the upper left and the two drawers are for whatever. Cabling is fed through the bottom of the cabinet to and between the various components. Drawers are poplar toned with Transtint mixed in shellac.

I probably spent as much time determining how I wanted to resolve the open weave at the top of the panels while retaining structural integrity. I didn't like any of the metallic solutions, nor was the doctor particularly fond of that, either. Wicker, chair cane and such were also reviewed but I wanted something more substantial. After determining that a 3/8" pattern would probably be a good compromise between appearance and functionality, I began to experiment with some scrap. The result was what is best described as a 'Lincoln Log' assembly which can be seen in the photo kcab1_latraw.jpg.

I look forward to your comments.

Regards,

Jim Becker
01-02-2006, 3:32 PM
Outstanding, Bill!! Very nice in every way.

tod evans
01-02-2006, 3:37 PM
very nice bill!

Glenn Clabo
01-02-2006, 3:37 PM
Comments??? Okay...that's Wicked COOL! Well thought out...and just plan well done.

Bruce Page
01-02-2006, 3:46 PM
It’s already been said, Outstanding job!! What are the dimensions of the top? It looks to be about 30” square.

Richard Wolf
01-02-2006, 3:50 PM
Nothing to say but beautiful.

Richard

rick fulton
01-02-2006, 3:59 PM
Bill -

Another excellent piece. The utility, layout, proportions, and craftsmanship look first rate. SWMBO has been asking for something like that to cut down on the noise in her office. Well done.

Thanks for sharing.
rick

Kent Parker
01-02-2006, 4:01 PM
Very nice design. I particularly like the corner posts and grating. Great stuff:)

Kent

Ken Fitzgerald
01-02-2006, 4:28 PM
Fantastic work Bill! Won't be your last commission!

David Wilson
01-02-2006, 4:32 PM
Bill
Outstanding work. OK if I borrow your idea?

John Timberlake
01-02-2006, 4:34 PM
Very nice design and execution. Good way to provide an attractive door and provide ventilation. Should lead to more commissions.

Rob Will
01-02-2006, 6:57 PM
Bill
Outstanding work. OK if I borrow your idea?

Same here........makes me want to take my skills to a higher level.
Very nice work.:D

Rob

Cecil Arnold
01-02-2006, 7:00 PM
Bill, or should I say cuz', that's outstanding work. I hope the doctor was suitably impressed.

John D Watson
01-02-2006, 7:08 PM
Wow, Beautiful piece. I love it.Thanks

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-02-2006, 7:13 PM
Beautiful, Functional, and efficient!

Thanks for the look.

Bruce

Chuck E Cobb
01-02-2006, 7:22 PM
Just beautiful!!! you should be very proud.

Chuck

Howie French
01-02-2006, 7:54 PM
Bill, That is a very nice piece, you did a great job on this, I reall like it.

Howie

Bill Arnold
01-03-2006, 6:58 AM
It’s already been said, Outstanding job!! What are the dimensions of the top? It looks to be about 30” square.Well, duh on my part! Shoulda given the dimensions!

The top is 36" square and 1.25" thick. Overall height is about 26.5"

Bill Arnold
01-03-2006, 7:02 AM
Bill
Outstanding work. OK if I borrow your idea?This will be a one-off for me. If someone else wants me to build one for them, it will be different materials and maybe a bit different leg design to make it unique. That's just the way I want to do things for my satisfaction.

There's absolutely no reason you can't copy what I've done. I'm glad you like it. We all copy something somewhere along the way. Keep me posted on your results.

Bill Arnold
01-03-2006, 7:11 AM
Bill, or should I say cuz', that's outstanding work. I hope the doctor was suitably impressed.Hey 'cuz'.

Well, I was hoping the doctor would like it or at least not throw rocks at me! :) In fact, she liked it so much she couldn't stop talking about how it was so 'perfect' for them! She even sent me an e-mail the morning after I delivered the cabinet and continued to comment on how great the cabinet is and how perfectly it fits into their home.

Almost as important as her comments were those of her father. He and several other family members were present when we delivered the cabinet. He owned a company that built custom period furniture, so his daughter, the doctor, grew up around fine furniture. He kept commenting on what a great job I did and then was floored when I told him my 'shop' is our two-car garage.

Jason Tuinstra
01-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Bill, wonderful solution for a particular need. Great problem solving. I'm sure the Doc is going to love it.