PDA

View Full Version : the new Bosch"colt"

larry merlau
01-02-2006, 2:39 PM
has anyone got any expierence with the new "colt model" trim router from bosch? have read some reviews of it in mags, but like to hear from someone that has had hands on. the varible speed model or the single speed. thanks for your response's

Bruce Page
01-02-2006, 3:54 PM
Larry, LOML gave me the Colt variable speed version for Christmas. I haven’t had a chance to use it yet but it looks like it’s going to be a good addition to the shop. I believe Mark Singer got one a while ago and may have some actual experience with it. :o

Steve Clardy
01-02-2006, 3:55 PM
I think it was Mark Singer that got one also.

Don Baer
01-02-2006, 4:10 PM
here is the thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26654&highlight=colt

Bill Simmeth
01-02-2006, 4:13 PM
I have the VS model and really like it. I bought a set of bases from Pat Warner for it as well. I've done a fair amount of flush trimming with it as well as some roundover/ogee edge work. It's very comfortable to hold and with Pat's bases, very stable. Some vibration at full speed, but very smooth when you slow it down some.

Mark Singer
01-02-2006, 8:19 PM
It is a little work horse and I love it! Power to go. So handy for most jobs. The depth adjuster is great and there is a fine adjuster too. Soft start , varible speed...shaft lock...inexpensive. Go for it!

Jim Fancher
01-02-2006, 9:34 PM
has anyone got any expierence with the new "colt model" trim router from bosch? have read some reviews of it in mags, but like to hear from someone that has had hands on. the varible speed model or the single speed. thanks for your response's

I just got mine today via HD.com and UPS and have only opened the box. From what I can tell, the depth adjustment is nice! Also, it comes in a pretty snazzy looking box.

larry merlau
01-03-2006, 7:51 AM
gonna be a new foal i the stable soon then.. if mark likes then we all are safe:D

tod evans
01-03-2006, 8:13 AM
larry, i swear by the ol` porter-cable 310.........02 tod

Peter Pedisich
01-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Tod, like this one...great balance/quiet/great depth adj...

...but, collet sticks all the time.

I would chose the Bosch Colt now that Pat Warner makes sub-bases.

Pete

tod evans
01-03-2006, 10:07 AM
peter, yup that`s the one, sticky collet and all! the bearings are mounted in metal not plastic. brushes cost under 5 bucks and switches under 20.. i`ve got 4 of them, figure enough to last the rest of my life:) tod

Brad Townsend
01-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Not to rain on the parade, but if centering in the base opening is important (like for using guides), examine the unit you're buying before you put your money down. I finally gave up and returned one because I couldn't get the bit to center. The problem is that once the base was tightened, the fine adjustment screw that rides between the base and the motor threw everything out of whack. Perhaps only my unit was defective, but a friendly exchange of emails to Bosch CS did not result in any offers to replace anything, which suggests to me that the problem is designed in. I was disappointed because it is a beautiful tool and I really wanted to like it.

pat warner
01-03-2006, 12:31 PM
"The problem is that once the base was tightened, the fine adjustment screw that rides between the base and the motor threw everything out of whack. "

PR-20 Centeredness

There are 2 modes of lockup for the PR-20 motor in its base casting. The motor can be engaged with the depth screw (symbol locked) or the screw can be out of play (unlocked symbol). If the motor is engaged with the screw when the motor is clamped to the casting, the spindle is pulled off center with respect to the base screw hole pattern. That displacement is indicated in the manual (twice!) and measures ~.020-.045".
My collar subbase is made to Bosch specifications and standards. The spec. calls for centeredness when the depth screw (& casting 1/2 nut) is out of play. Therefore, expect far more centricity with the fine-adjust screw out of play. The motor clamp nut should be tightened some in this mode; it will take more force to lock the motor when the depth screw is not being used. (Bosch does not recommend operating the router with the depth screw out of play.)
Centricity (without heroics) in my casting is ~.004".

More on that PR10/20? See the link. (http://www.patwarner.com/pr20_subbase.html)
And safe routing what ever you choose.