PDA

View Full Version : Pen pics test

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-02-2006, 2:02 PM
I'm testing my photo setup...hints and commentary appreciated. :)

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/pens/jst1.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/pens/jstmes.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/pens/jgforng.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/pens/jgfteavio.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/pens/ws1.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/pens/wsvio.jpg

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/pens/wsmes.jpg

Keith Burns
01-02-2006, 2:13 PM
Pen photo test, HA!.:D You just wanted to show off all those great looking pens.:) :) :) . I do like the setup as well.

Peter Dougenik
01-02-2006, 2:15 PM
I'm more of a lurker here but I'll take a shot...

first off, great looking pens! as for the photo, the first thing that gets me is the shadow on the right side. I piece of cardboard with some tinfoil over it on that side angled toward the subject will reflect some of the flash and help kill that off. The background is a bit wrinkly, one of the things I hate about working with fabric for shots like this. A colored paper will provide a nice smooth background with no wrinkles to catch your attention. The bear is stealing attention from your pens! You want your pens to be THE focal point of the photo so the prop you use to hold them up should be bland and uninteresting, nothing that the average viewer would want to look at. I generally stick with no prop and use a pure white background but that's just my style, and sometimes I feel like a one trick pony so I guess I should try something new!

I like the placement of the pens and the highlights on most are great, just enough to add dimension without blowing out the details.

Just my $.02

Corey Hallagan
01-02-2006, 2:20 PM
Kirk, great looking photos and pens. Nice detail and color on the photos. What pen kits are those KC?

Corey

Gary DeWitt
01-02-2006, 2:34 PM
I like the photos, especially if you are marketing to women, and perhaps especially for valentines day. Technically, the photos are real good. I'm just not sure if I agree with Peter as far as too much going on. This is, after all, marketing to a different group than if you were presenting a fine art piece through a gallery, so I think it might be effective. I'm no expert, tho. Only a guy who worked in printing for 35 years and saw a LOT of ads. Any Ad men out there with an opinion?

Curt Fuller
01-02-2006, 2:35 PM
Sorry I can't give much advice on the photography. But those are some of the purtiest pens I've ever seen. I'm curious as to what kind of kit those are too.

Andy Hoyt
01-02-2006, 2:54 PM
Only trouble I see is that those pens are way too big for the bear to handle.:D

Seriously - I used to think that all photos should be of the item alone, done with backdrops and such. Mostly because that's what the pros do. But then I began to notice John Hart's photos all staged and accessorized. And if done right, as is the case with John, I think it enhances the photo and tells a story that I want to hear.

Jim Becker
01-02-2006, 4:26 PM
Outside of the fact that I also don't prefer fabric as a background, I like the idea. It's important that the other objects in the photo dont' draw the eye away from the work, however...experiment with some other things, including some rough blocks of wood or stones that provide a scene that enhances, but doesn't grab the audience. I agree with Andy in this respect...just a pen is too bland so adding context is good.

Bill Stevener
01-02-2006, 5:10 PM
Hi KC,
Glad to see others with an interest in improving on there photography. I am a long way from any pro status in this field, however fired off a couple of threads along this line to try and get something started.
Aside from the pens being wonderful, I will give it a shot on my opinion, again this is only my thoughts.
The photos are extremely sharp and very clear. Depending on your objective, I go along with Gary D. on the set-up. Not that the photos (some) are to busy, but I think one pen at a time looks better, and show the cap more, it seams to hide. I like the wrinkles in the material, in the set-up you have assembled, as the bear looks cuddly and softer than he would on a flat background. To flat and the bear would look like he is nailed to a wall. Most photos we try and eliminate the shadows, again in this case it makes the bear some what more alive (I know it's stuffed) but at least he (she) doesnt have that glued up look.
Now for the flash ( if you used one) highlights on the pens. Well my main objective is to remove, or eliminate any and all. I guess in some photos that may be desirable, but I have not yet learned to appreciate them.

Well I guess I have said enough, other than the bear could use a good hair comb.:D

Now a question, or two for you. Are you shooting in a tent, and what kind of lights are you using?

Thanks for looking at my non professional thoughts,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-02-2006, 6:55 PM
Thanks for the comments. :)

First off, the big pens are either the Jr Gentleman or Jr Statesman II from Craft Supplies...the smaller are the Wall Street II/Sierra.

I used the bear for two reasons...first, and probably most importantly, bears are something we have plenty of sitting around. Secondly, I just like them. :o

I made a box out of scrap 1/2 celotex, because I could put it together with the special aluminum tape and be confident it would hold. The fabric is a sheet, pretty much just tossed and stuffed in the box. Light is a very cheap clamp on thingy with the metal shroud. I might could get rid of the shadows by moving the light...it's clamped to the side of the box because I didn't wanna spend a lot of time until I knew what I was trying to 'fix'. I'm not sure those shadows offend me tho...it kinda makes it feel more 'lifelike'. I agree that one pen per pic looks better...but again, I'm testing. :)

I didn't see any noticeable difference with or without a flash...but now I notice the glare on the pens. I'll fiddle with it some more...

KC

Bill Stevener
01-02-2006, 7:24 PM
Back to you KC,

Thanks for your comeback and info. FWIW, I have found that the three light set-up works about the best. Although two can work. Three is the best in removing most, if not all of the shadows. Also found that 30w = 100w fluorescent bulbs of 5000k, which is the closest to the natural light spectrum, seem to work the best. They are really worth a try, however I don't know where you wish to go with your photos.
This is another costly adventure, for those that just fell in to the turning world trap, and will soon discover.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
01-03-2006, 7:25 AM
After reading everyone else's responses, I have very little else to add. But since I can't keep my mouth shut, I'll give it a shot.:o Marketing is all about presentation. People like to look at interesting pictures and that's what grabs their attention. After they are interested...then they start looking at technicalities. The bear looks great! What you've captured KC is an object that is wonderful to hold and cherish. That's what the picture says. On my website, I have the option to have several shots of each item...so what I would do in this case is keep the bear shot as the showcase photo, then back it up with 2 or 3 detail photos so the potential customer can make a technical decision.

Oh...and those pens are gorgeous!!!!!:)