PDA

View Full Version : specific sharpening jig question

Scott Winners
11-08-2020, 1:29 AM
Not looking to start a debate or a 20 page thread.

I am trying to kill multiple birds with one stone.

The single question is can the Lie-Nielsen honing guide, with the accessory long jaws, accomodate the blade from a Veritas/Lee Valley taper tenon cutter, specifically the taper tenon cutter that makes a 5/8" tip, the "5/8" tapered tenon cutter?

Alternatively, what is the widest short blade that can be accomodated in the Lie-Nielson honing guide with long jaws?

I have a tracking number on my 5/8 tapered tenon cutter; but it isn't in my hands yet so I can't measure the width of the iron.

I did find an old thread here, 2014, maybe 2015, a credible user stated flatly the Lie-Nielson honing guide with the long jaws accomodated his Veritas spoke shave blade no issues, and I have that problem at my place.

Also, I repent from having said I can free hand sharpen. I can freehand a serviceable edge onto my 1" L-N bench chisel, but after about a year in my shop, maybe a week in a professionals hands, I found by chisel was drifting consistently under the mallet and found a bit of skew on my leading edge. Less than 1/32" measured, but I need to correct it, not make it worse. So I need either a honing guide that can accomodate my 1" LN chisel, or a new 1" chisel that will fit in my Lee Valley Eclipse style honing guide.

The Veritas system that can solve my current and known future problem is $100. The LN solution that will fix my two current problems and might fix my on upcoming problem is $160, but I feel better about the clamping system on the LN if it can handle all three. Both prices are plus shipping and subject to availability of course.

Willing to consider other manufacturers if you know of one.

Yes, I am getting into staked furniture. It is plainly evident to me the sawbench in Chris's book could be easily adapted to make custom (ergonomically correct) height keyboard trays with not very much math for all of my coworkers complaining about forearm and wrist pain from all the keyboarding they are doing from their varied popiliteal heights.

Thanks in advance. If the LN is going to work for the tapered tenon cutter I will just order it and be done with it.

Jim Koepke
11-08-2020, 2:28 AM
Both prices are plus shipping and subject to availability of course.

Lee Valley has had free shipping on orders over $30 for a while now, if that factors in.

As far as you inquiry, no help here.

Skewing from freehand sharpening can be corrected. It is part of the learning the freehand experience.

Mortise chisels especially tend to twist when driven if the bevel slopes from side to side or if the arris (edge) is skewed.

jtk

Scott Winners
11-08-2020, 3:43 AM
Lee Valley has had free shipping on orders over $30 for a while now, if that factors in.

Skewing from freehand sharpening can be corrected. It is part of the learning the freehand experience.

While these suggestions may help many, they don't help me right here right now. As a bedside clinician I am looking at 60 hour weeks through the winter of 20/21 while we are waiting for a covid vaccine. What I need this month is a guide, a crutch, to get my tools sharper so I can get sharpening over with and get to the wood working part of the hobby.

You are prolific, helpful poster here and I mean you no disrespect at all. I do appreciate your response as valid and I look forward to someday having the free time to get better at free hand sharpening.

Mortise chisels especially tend to twist when driven if the bevel slopes from side to side or if the arris (edge) is skewed.

jtk

If the LN guide can meet my other needs I will get the mortise chisel jaw set as well just to close that door, as my current furniture size mortise chisles are also L-N. Thank you for that.

Please do not feel barked at. You are a better wood worker today than I will likely ever become in what is left of my life. Your posts here are uniformly helpful and time permitting I do read the threads you start. You are resource to this website.

My real talent is as a bedside RN who has spent more than 20 years getting ready for "this." Having side stepped management and put all my years in bedside care I have a remarkable tendency to shut down useless hospital meetings by saying what needs to be said as the senior noncom present, and walking out.

I am at a point in my career where I do have money but don't have time. In this particular instance I need to just buy a solution and move on.

May the good Lord continue to bless and continue to keep you.
Scott

Tom M King
11-08-2020, 9:15 AM
I can't help answer your question, but appreciate all your efforts in your work. What I can offer is for you to go ahead, and order the parts to see if they work, and if they don't, I'll buy them from you for what they cost, plus your shipping cost to me. You have enough worries, that something like this shouldn't be one of them. I was thinking about buying that stuff anyway, so it's not like I'm offering any real sacrifice on my part.

J. Greg Jones
11-08-2020, 11:15 AM
I have the LN long jaws and the LV 5/8” tapered tenon cutter. I’ll confess I haven’t sharpened the cutter yet, but if you can wait until later today I’ll give it a try and let you know if it works.

Also, I could be mistaken but I don’t think Lee Valley covers the entire shipping cost of orders $30+ when shipping to Alaska.

Derek Cohen
11-08-2020, 11:20 AM
This forum really should have “like” buttons.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
11-08-2020, 12:13 PM
Please do not feel barked at.
[edited]
I am at a point in my career where I do have money but don't have time. In this particular instance I need to just buy a solution and move on.

No barking heard and thanks for the kind words.

Greg will hopefully answer this question for you.

Often questions like yours are answered based on whether one has more time or more money. Hopefully having the financial ability will solve yours.

jtk

J. Greg Jones
11-08-2020, 2:13 PM
Looks like a perfect matchup to me.
444687 444688

Scott Winners
11-08-2020, 2:30 PM
Sweet! Thank you both J. Greg and Jim K, I will order up the long jaws and the mortise chisel jaws and hopefully only have to pay shipping once.