PDA

View Full Version : tool testdrives for prospective buyers

tod evans
01-02-2006, 1:23 PM
i frequently notice folks asking opinions on various pieces of equipment before they make a purchase.. if asked most manufacturers will provide a list of "sattisfied" owners with whom you can speak but my feelings on this are that you will most likely not get unvarnished opinions. :) so given the broad spectrum of folks and their respective equipment here on smc i would like to start a "test-drive" program where joe who`s looking for a lathe or tablesaw could drive to a few shops in his area and take a spin with the various colors available. just as i offered to open my doors for the mentoring program i`ll offer to open them for any locals who want to test-drive my equipment. i don`t know how or if smc would institute such a program but if any of you are interested either in letting folks test-drive or test-driving please chime in????? tod

Andy Hoyt
01-02-2006, 1:40 PM
Super idea, Tod.

And I'm willing and eager to work both sides of this notion.

Jim McCarty
01-02-2006, 2:16 PM
Sounds good to me. I'd be happy to let local creekers try before they buy. Happy New Year to all. Jim:)

scott spencer
01-02-2006, 2:18 PM
I'd be willing to do the same for legimate registered and active forum members in my area. Not sure I'd want to hear from someone who made their first post just to ask if they could come by the shop...just adds a bit more risk than I'm comfortable with.

Dick Bringhurst
01-02-2006, 2:21 PM
I'd be glad to help out. Ciunt me in. Dick B.

Dick Bringhurst
01-02-2006, 2:24 PM
OOOPS! Thats "count" me in. Happy New Year! Dick B.

Mark Singer
01-02-2006, 2:27 PM
Tod,
I'm in ! Tod I guess I should start driving.....your a ways off...:eek:

larry merlau
01-02-2006, 2:49 PM
would definatly be intersted in doing so and offer any help i can, this is definatly a good way to make a decision on a new tool be it large or small. the magazines and the suppliers can be alittel biased:D

tod evans
01-02-2006, 2:56 PM
Tod,
I'm in ! Tod I guess I should start driving.....your a ways off...:eek:

in that `lil ol` turbo you should be here tomorrow:) thanks for jumping on board, not just mark but everybody!

Tommy Curtiss
01-02-2006, 3:17 PM
I'm in also!:)

Frank Pellow
01-02-2006, 3:23 PM
I would certainly be happy to let any Saw Mill Creek folks in the Toronto area try out my tools. :)

But to do this really properly, we would need a database that records the tool inventory and approximate location of SMC folks. That sounds like a big undertaking. As an ex-database administrator, I will even volunteer to manage such a database but I am not sure if very many members would be willing to provide the required data.

Aaron, just what database do you have available on your server and, if this flies, would you be willing to give me administrative access to it. :confused:

tod evans
01-02-2006, 3:29 PM
thanks frank! i`m doing good just to post stuff and not make to many mistakes! if this does take off just let me know what type of list(s) you require and i`ll get them assembled right away. tod

Jim Becker
01-02-2006, 3:32 PM
I think that I would be willing to help folks out in this respect for things like my Stubby 750. My reservations are relative to liability. I'm kewel with demonstrating, however, and have done so a number of times.

Mark Rios
01-02-2006, 3:35 PM
I agree with Jim. Liability was my first thought when I read the idea. Not only for the tool owners but for SMC as well for coordinating it. Very sorry for the buzz kill. I don't mean to be. I like the idea and it would probably help me. Just concerned.

Rick Thom
01-02-2006, 4:37 PM
Not sure I have any tools that would interest anyone so I'll just leave that aside.
On the data-base idea.......
I belong to a few forums that use a mapping system that provides the option for members to record where they live. It merely shows hemespherical map and a flag posted near the members location on the map. I think the flag is hyper-linked to user name and maybe e-mail option. I've wondered why SMC didn't use such a system, particularly in light of this being such a tight-knit and sizable core of members. If it would be helpful, I could look for more info on this.

Mark Carlson
01-02-2006, 4:50 PM
I'd be willing too.

How about someone posting a question like: I'm looking to buy a Minimax combo jointer/planer and I live here. Does anyone have one they'd be willing to demo?

Glenn Clabo
01-02-2006, 4:55 PM
Hey Rick,
I believe Aaron (Dr. Admin) did this in the past...but it's been a while.

Andy Hoyt
01-02-2006, 5:21 PM
Rick - Read this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=1050).

Marc Langille
01-02-2006, 5:24 PM
I don't mind watching the demonstrations, they are very informative.

Following Jim Becker's comments: how about allowing the "touch/feel" thing with the unit powered off and/or disconnnected if the owner has reservations about liability. Would that work?

tod evans
01-02-2006, 5:32 PM
i for one am pretty straight forward, if i feel joe blow is honest and competent i`ll let him/her run the equipment if they want, or i can demo? but one thing i wont be put off by is the "fear" of law suits, if i don`t like or don`t trust somebody i`ll ask them to leave. i think the litigeous attitude of todays society is keeping lots of folks from acting like normal human beings and i`ll have no part of it.........02 tod

Jim Hager
01-02-2006, 5:44 PM
I have taken advantage of such a test drive system before on two tool purchases. It was helpful I will have to admit. One of the instances I then made the right decision and the other was definately a mistake. That is another story though.

I would be happy to help out with something like that as well though my tool inventory has pretty much stopped growing a lot and is composed mostly of Delta industrial equipment. I do have some other things to offer that are not so common as well like the kreg forman pocket hole machine and the w&h molder.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'll help out where I can. I'd like to meet some of this bunch face to face anyway.

George Summers
01-02-2006, 5:46 PM
Is there really a need for a full-blown program to do this? It seems to me that if someone posts a question about a particular brand of equipment and someone nearby has that equipment and feels comfortable with it, just invite him/her over. Its been done before, here and on other forums. I have test driven a couple of pieces of equipment this way, with no formal program in place.

George

Jay Knoll
01-02-2006, 5:56 PM
I think George just hit the nail on the head!

Ron Jones near Indy
01-02-2006, 6:08 PM
I think this is a great idea. I'm in. In terms of format--this is a KISS:cool: program; just ask for help when you need it.

Frank Pellow
01-02-2006, 6:38 PM
i for one am pretty straight forward, if i feel joe blow is honest and competent i`ll let him/her run the equipment if they want, or i can demo? but one thing i wont be put off by is the "fear" of law suits, if i don`t like or don`t trust somebody i`ll ask them to leave. i think the litigeous attitude of todays society is keeping lots of folks from acting like normal human beings and i`ll have no part of it.........02 tod
I'm with you Tod. There is absolutely no way that fear of a lawsuit will keep me from doing anything that I know is right.

David Mueller
01-02-2006, 8:15 PM
I, for one would help out also if asked. As far as liability, I wouldn't even think of even having anyone even enter my shop, even with the elecricity turned off with out my $2MM umbrella policy. Can't take any chances any more these days. :cool:

Bob Michaels
01-02-2006, 9:41 PM
I'm in. More than happy to have people test drive my PM66, PM 20" planer, PM 12" jointer, PM band saw, Festool circular saw & jig saw, Oneida DC, Performax 16-32, etc. The data base by location would be helpful. :) :)

Shelley Bolster
01-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Hey Tod......fantastic idea! You would never think about buying a vehicle without a test drive first and although no doubt most WW tools would not set you back near as much,(except perhaps a few of yours Tod :eek: ) it still costs ya more than pocket change! IMO, including a list of names with those willing to offer their tools for "test drives" under the Mentoring List that Keith as set up would be a simple and effective way of letting people know if there is anyone close to them participating. Maybe Frank (if he won't mind) could assist with that. A SMC Disclaimer to any liability might also be a good idea - even with the Mentoring list. There has to be a person with knowledge of the law/law suites that is a member here that could perhaps shed light on the liability issues. One thing I would suggest for anyone inviting someone in to try out a tool, is to have them sign a waiver stating that they hold no liability to the owner of the tool in the case of injury. Of course, if such injury proved to be caused directly by the owns negligence, then all bets are off.
Demos are great and definitely a step up from just reading about brand X in a magazine or viewing it in a tool store but you can't beat the chance to actually try it out. see if it not only does what is expected but how it feels to the user.
I really do think your idea Tod is worthy of consideration by Keith/Aaron to include with the mentoring list.