PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Stone Holder

Jim Koepke
11-07-2020, 2:08 AM
A diamond stone stashed in a drawer comes in handy to refresh a kitchen knife blade between trips to the shop for honing. It is even better if the stone is set in a comfortable holder to keep one’s fingers safe.

Recently two DMT Extra Fine stones were purchased. One was for a friend, not sure what the second will do since there is already a couple in the kitchen. My daughter, grandson or brother might be able to make use of one.

A piece of 6/4 X 6/4 mahogany was called upon for a 5” piece. ~1/2” was sawn off of one side. This was planed and squared. What was to be the bottom edge had the corners rounded with a #2 hollow plane:

The top edges were given a couple passes, just enough to break the corners.

The sides were plowed (5/16” blade) lightly to guide a #12 round plane to create finger grips:

The base was then held secure and the stone was placed on top and lightly scribed around its edges:

After this the lines were enhanced with a marking gauge, knife and square.

The shallow mortise was started with a few strikes of a chisel:

This was followed with a Veritas Miniature Router:

This little router is handy for smaller work like this and was amazing at how smooth of a surface it left.

After clearing the waste a little final fitting was needed:

Once everything was well fit all the pieces were taken into the house for gluing with some epoxy. The parts all set for a few hours to warm up to room temperature.

The gluing went well:

It will get a coat of a wax/oil furniture polish mix tomorrow.

jtk

Jim Koepke
11-07-2020, 6:36 PM
One of the many things my dad taught me about epoxy was to not toss the extra. Instead it should be saved to make sure it set up:

When the popsicle stick turned stirring stick was lifted today the wood split apart. The rounded end of the popsicle stick was cut off with a chisel and both sides were hit with a plane to make it a bit thinner.

The piece was held secure and any epoxy squeeze out was trimmed away:

Wood shavings were used to buff the surface before applying a mix of oil and wax furniture polish:

It may end up replacing my kitchen stone.

jtk

Scott Winners
11-08-2020, 3:54 AM
I also go by the stirring stick to know when the glue up is likely to be cured, but give extra time since the glue up is usually in thicker pieces than popsicle sticks in a plastic cup. When the popsicle stick is cured, the glue up might be. If the popsicle stick is not cured, the glue up is not cured either.

Good tip.

FWIW I hone kitchen knives when I take my diamond stones up to the kitchen sink with simple green and a toothbrush, hadn't thought about buying another stone.

Jim Koepke
11-08-2020, 12:17 PM
FWIW I hone kitchen knives when I take my diamond stones up to the kitchen sink with simple green and a toothbrush, hadn't thought about buying another stone.

My shop stones never come into the house. The knives are taken to the stones in the shop once or twice a year. The diamond stone in the kitchen is used for touchups between sharpenings.

jtk