PDA

View Full Version : Clamptastic?

Jack Llewyllson
11-06-2020, 6:59 PM
I am fond of the old style, clutch type, orange-headed Jorgenson small bar clamps (37 series). They're just dang useful, and also not much available anymore.

I also kinda love my K-clamps, but never thought much Bessey's small to medium bar clamps. I've mostly used those in the simpler style where the head bears against bar knurls when under pressure. During two-handed glue-ups, those dang things tend to require all three of my remaining hands.

Recently I found (while looking for something else) four-packs of small Bessey bar clamps. These are clutch style. They look and feel a lot like my semi-favorite Jorgies. The four-packs are around 25 bucks (depending on your sales tax), which includes two six-inchers and two foot-longs. Throat depth is around three inches. As mentioned, they feel a lot like Jorgensons, but they're a bit less sloppy in the head and clutch. Nice crinkly black finish on the heads.

At around $6.25 a pop, and with a dinghy project planned for the mid-term future, I cheerfully bought five of their four-packs. They seem like a stellar deal, and 20 easy-peasy clamps should take a lot of the stress out of gluing gunwales.

I'd drop in a link, but I'm not sure the site rules allow it. Anyway, you know where Home Depot is. The same set on Amazon is $30.71 with free shipping, which still seems like a fine bargain.

I'm not a Bessey rep of any kind. If I could still find 37s at good prices, I'd probably still buy those, but if you're looking to bump up your clamp assortment, I think these are worth a look. I really like 'em.

Cheers,

Jack

Jim Becker
11-06-2020, 8:25 PM
I've seen the clutch type Bessy's in various retail places, but haven't tried them. I may check a few out as I occasionally need a few more smaller clamps for things, although I kinda prefer the quick clamp style for a lot of that need.

Jack Llewyllson
11-06-2020, 8:49 PM
I may check a few out as I occasionally need a few more smaller clamps for things, although I kinda prefer the quick clamp style for a lot of that need.

I have a pair of shorty quick clamps that I use fairly often when I'm outside the shop. Had them for years, but I guess I'm not really a convert. Seems like a lot of money for the function, and they take up a lot of space. My fading grip strength may also play into that, as I find it less and less easy to "draw" with a quick clamp.

I also like to use F-clamps as hold-downs. First, I knock out or grind off the rivet at the end of the bar. Then I can can slide the lower jaw off, drop the frame through a bench dog hole (or WorkMate hole, or Festool multi-table hole, or really any hole in any work surface), then slide the screw handle end back on and it works like an edge clamp, only mid-surface.

This is, of course, a prize recipe for losing clamp parts into dark corners if I'm not careful. :D

jamil mehdi
11-06-2020, 9:18 PM
"The four-packs are around 25 bucks (depending on your sales tax), which includes two six-inchers and two foot-longs"

I buy one of these four-packs every time I go to home depot. It's just a habit at this point. I probably have 30 of each and it's still not enough. The six inchers get used everywhere. And even though it looks like I have a lot of them when the shop is clean, it's surprising how fast they all get put into use again. I could have 20 more of each and probably still want more

Jim Becker
11-07-2020, 8:54 AM
Some quick clamps are more worthy than others but the Irwins I have really haven't disappointed me. I use a lot of F-clamps (non-clutch type) when they are the right solution, but the quick clamps are easier when the situation would benefit from a third hand that I seem to not have. :)

I use Gramercy holdfasts on the bench...in the hole, whack with a mallet, do the work.

Rich Aldrich
11-08-2020, 7:41 AM
I have some of the heavy duty clutch style Bessy camps - 4 - 36" and 2 - 24" and they work as well as the similar Jorgensons - I have quite a few of these also. Bought one of the 4 packs you are talking about and they are good clamps.

I bought them at Home Depot too. They seem to have the best price on the Bessy clamps.