PDA

View Full Version : Laminated drawknife

Michael Bulatowicz
11-06-2020, 6:02 PM
I picked up a “vintage drawknife” recently; the brand appears to be a hardware store house brand, Gamble’s Expert. It’s my understanding that this was the high end house brand of the Gamble’s hardware store. Upon cleaning and sharpening it, I found that it has a laminated blade (see pictures). I am curious if anyone here can shed some light on who might have made it and how old it might be. It seems to be high quality; it’s solid with good feedback, it took a good edge, and seems to hold that edge well.

Thanks in advance.

John Keeton
11-07-2020, 6:22 AM
Michael, it appears that Gamble’s Hardware began somewhere around the 1895 to the early 1900s as a part of a large conglomerate. I don’t find any reference to them manufacturing their own tools, so it is likely an edge tool company of companies made their drawknives. I imagine it would be very difficult to determine who. But, laminated blades are common in some of the better vintage drawknives.

John Keeton
11-07-2020, 6:33 AM
Also, an advanced search on eBay shows only the one Gambles Hardware drawknife you purchased. No other prior sales appeared in the search. Looks like you got a good deal on it.

Michael Bulatowicz
11-07-2020, 6:56 PM
Thanks, John. I appreciate your input and insight.

Best regards,
Michael