PDA

View Full Version : Where do you all find your rough lumber?

Josh Goldsmith
01-02-2006, 12:41 PM
I am buying a jointer and bandsaw. I am really curious about cutting my own lumber. I think it would awesome to take a piece of tree and shape it into a beautiful piece of funature. I live in california dead smack in the middle on the coast. Do i contact a tree cutting company to get wood, do i grab a chainsaw and go hiking;) . Where do you get your wood? Also how long do you have to let it dry before you can use it? Thanks Josh

Ted Christiansen
01-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Josh,

I started milling my own lumber with a chainsaw in March of this 2005. Visit my webpage to read more information. My setup isnt as fast as a bandmill, but it is portable and the investment is low, and has already been paid off in wood.

Logs are everywhere. I milled a lot of cherry, red oak and walnut from some easement clearing in May-August not too far from my house. I just picked up a truck load of 3 foot box elder logs last week. Some I have already milled with my 18" bandsaw, the rest will be milled with the chainsaw. I had a face cord of firewood delivered a couple of days ago and the guy said I could come to his place and mill on site.

About 3/4 of my wood is air drying at my folks - about 1 hrs drive from my house. The rest is in my basement drying. I live in Michigan and with forced air heat and A/C in the summer, I have found that wood can be dried in my basement to 12% in about 6-9 months.

It is addictive - so watch out!

Ted

Jim Becker
01-02-2006, 3:44 PM
Although I still have some of the supply I gained when some trees were felled for a new septic system when we move to this property, I also buy lumber locally...and always rough. Most of my general needs for cherry and ash come from a local sawyer/seller who provides very nice, furniture grade air-dried lumber cut from local sources. (Usually developments that eliminate forest lands...better than it going in the big chippers) For figured stock or non-native woods like mahogany, I'll buy from folks like Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford PA. (Typically kiln dried) I don't buy green lumber but did dry the several thousand board feet of poplar and walnut from our property. (Story on my web site) All of my drying is done out-doors for proper air flow through the stickered and stacked material.

Tim Sproul
01-11-2006, 2:12 AM
I live in california dead smack in the middle on the coast.

I've tried finding a local - as in within 100 miles - sawyer but so far have come away empty handed. I did find one fellow but all his stuff is green and I don't have the space/facilities to air-dry lumber.

I get my rough sawn lumber from local lumber retailers. Macbeath - San Francisco location has rough. PALS - I know the Oakland location has rough. Jackel Enterprises in Watsonville also stocks rough. Higgins has rough too but they mostly cater to the professionals.

Mark Rios
01-11-2006, 2:30 AM
I live in california dead smack in the middle on the coast.

Hey Josh, where on the coast? I was born and raised in Santa Cruz til 1985/1986.

JayStPeter
01-11-2006, 10:11 AM
You can try woodfinder.net also. But, meeting other local WWers can lead to hidden treasures.

Jay

Mike Parzych
01-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Josh -

I have an advantage because I live in WI, wher we actually have trees growing EVERYWHERE , and they're not in theme parks like CA...hehe.

But you could try searching "sawmills," or go to the sites of portable sawmill mfrs. - who in turn can tell you of equipment owners. I've found the best deals from the small guys doing it in their backyards.

The general rule of thumb for air-drying is a year per inch of thickness. That's VERY general and is subject to a variety of seconday considerations, such as the local weather environment, etc. Your state forestry website may well have information pertinent to the CA environment.

Marcus Ward
01-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Where I live you can't drive down a dirt road without running into an amish sawmill. Most of them make pallette boards but there is one guy who is just starting out that saws wood for furniture making. 1.25/ft for oak and 2.25 for walnut, all kiln dried and straight. I'm trying to talk him into quarter sawing but he hasn't ever done it and needs to get his method down still, I guess.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-11-2006, 11:16 AM
I don't cut my own but I buy from a guy that does. For what I pay for rough dried lumber it isn't worth cutting it myself :)

Ellen Benkin
01-11-2006, 11:27 AM
I suggest that it would be a really bad idea to march around central CA with a chainsaw looking for trees to fell. If you don't have any on your property then chances are the others belong to someone else -- either an individual, the state, or the US.

Unless you find people clearing land for development you probably should stick to a lumber yard.

Josh Goldsmith
01-11-2006, 11:35 AM
I am located in Atascadero,CA which is right next to San Luis Obispo. I thought about how much trouble i would get in if i marched down the streets with a chainsaw cutting down peoples trees:D . If any of you are located a couple of hours away and find some walnut, cheery, maple i will buy some. Thanks Josh