PDA

View Full Version : Adam savage workbench

Michael J Evans
11-04-2020, 10:18 PM
Hopefully posting links is allowed, but my google news feed had this youtube video -

https://youtu.be/Qg1vsumLXcY

I think everything about this bench is cool as hell and thought you all would enjoy.

William Fretwell
11-05-2020, 8:25 AM
A built for TV workbench! Yes some nice features like the seriously laminated bench top for dimensional stability. The round bench dogs with a flat face were required for the end vise that can angle a little. The vise fast and slow modes are rather mute when it only opens 6 inches.
Good width and stability but rather short. Splayed legs reduce the steel required for the base, as does the short bench.
Grammercy hold downs in the dog holes may not work well, better off to the side. The centre chisel holder I’ve seen before may work well when wanted.
Delivered to your workshop is nice, no mention of price of course! Still not the same as building your own!

Wes Mitchell
11-05-2020, 9:18 AM
I follow Matt Cremona on youtube and saw that he supplied the wood for the top. He has an interesting channel mostly dedicated to Urban Logging.

Michael J Evans
11-05-2020, 10:51 AM
I see Will is not a fan ;)

Christopher Charles
11-05-2020, 10:55 AM
I've seen those vises in videos a couple of times and in every one, the action looks to be more than a bit stiff. Would be curious to try in person. Still super fun, even if custom build for the YT crowd.

ken hatch
11-05-2020, 12:18 PM
I see Will is not a fan ;)

Michael,

You can add me to Will's group. Way too complex and in a short while that complexity would have me barking at the moon. I'm in the KISS school of work benches and about the only thing that bench doesn't have is a built in cup holder and maybe a couple more vises on each corner.

I've seen those vises in videos a couple of times and in every one, the action looks to be more than a bit stiff. Would be curious to try in person. Still super fun, even if custom build for the YT crowd.

Chris,

I agree and that is a new vise, not one that has been in the shop and full of dust and dirt. Folks keep reinventing the wheel instead of looking at what has been proven to work for 100's of years. When I see benches like that one for some reason I think of the "Far Side" cartoon of the two time traveling cave men on a log hooting as they fly over the streets, benches built for the "hoot factor" not to work on.

ken

steven c newman
11-05-2020, 2:09 PM
Just might be THE PERFECT BENCH for the projects Adam Savage does...

Doesn't look like he would have enough room for anything larger IN HIS SHOP... and, not everybody has enough room for 5-6 benches, any way...

BTW...Go and watch a few episodes of Myth Busters....and maybe THEN you can understand what Adam needed for HIS bench...

Alan Schwabacher
11-05-2020, 2:18 PM
You can see the bench (and other stuff) made on Andy Klein's youtube channel. He's a clever guy, even if you don't have the problems his stuff solves.

Stephen Rosenthal
11-05-2020, 7:06 PM
Nothing against the bench (I’m sure it’s useful for some people, just not for me), but frankly I found Adam Savage to be so annoying that I stopped the video after 7 minutes.

Stew Denton
11-05-2020, 9:44 PM
One more in the Will and Ken way of thinking. I am also in the "simple is good" category. I have no doubt that the vices will work quite well, and do like the adjustable angle feature on the end vice. At the very least I have to add, however, that the bench looks extremely well made and solid, and should last a lifetime. It looks like you could do a lot of woodworking on it. It is also light years ahead of the saw horses and planks I work on.

On the minus side, I am like the group that Andy put in the traditional group of woodworking folks that have not necessarily loved the design. For me it isn't a gripe with functionality, but I too would like more length. It would be hard for me to love a workbench with steel legs and steel material as part of the sides of the bench.

I am sure the steel works fine, and i also think that after a while with it in your shop you would not notice such, but I just would rather have an "almost entirely wood" traditional design. I guess that is why I would rather restore and have a type 11 Stanley Bailey plane or one of the BedRock planes than a new premium plane. It has nothing to do with the cheaper cost of the type 11, I just plain like old and traditional. Why, I don't know...I just do.

I would not put the vice design in the "Far Side" category, but rather Rube Goldberg comes to mind. Again, I am sure the vice is extremely well made, is very strong, and is extremely functional.

This is hard to admit, but I just like the "LOOK" of the almost all wood traditional bench. It is just that simple. Maybe it is also that I have wanted a traditional bench for probably more than 40 years. I don't like the tool cabinet under the bench feature. The high school woodshop benches were like that when I was in school, and I really didn't like that set up much.

Stew

Jim Koepke
11-06-2020, 1:00 AM
Could someone work wood on this bench? Sure

Is it wanted for my shop? No

It is a nice show bench. For some it is possibly the perfect bench. It just isn' for me.

jtk

Anuj Prateek
11-06-2020, 1:47 AM
Hopefully posting links is allowed, but my google news feed had this youtube video -

I think everything about this bench is cool as hell and thought you all would enjoy.

The gears look VERY nice! They don't look smooth though.

Difficult to judge from video but I "think" Benchcrafted is way more smoother. I have the classic leg vise. Normally I rotate it fast one time and it continues to open/close on its own.

There might be other advantages of gears but not clear from video.

Derek Cohen
11-06-2020, 5:01 AM

What a fantastic bench!!!! I absolutely applaud Andrew's creativity and the workmanship in this creation. Absolutely!

I loved the video, the excitement of Adam is quite contagious, and genuine. He clearly loves the bench, and recognises the ingenuity.

My preference is for olde worlde traditional vice benches, but I'd happily have this in my shop, and use it. Those vises are so clever: two speed, rear vise can angle. I am not sure if the faces of the dogs angle down (3 degrees is preferred), but the internal magnets are so clever and useful for holding the Gramercy hold downs.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Matthews
11-06-2020, 7:54 AM
I'm a fan of Adam Savage, and marvel at what his crew can make.

His obvious delight at this bench is heartwarming.

This thing is wikkid kewl and WAY above my paygrade.

Walter Plummer
11-06-2020, 11:48 AM
The tops are solid slabs, not laminated. Matt sawed them and they were dried in a vacuum kiln. Him and the gentleman with the kiln are investigating if there is a workbench market for the dried slabs.

Rafael Herrera
11-06-2020, 1:16 PM
On the Workbench Builders FB group someone posted that his vise, like the one in the video, failed. Some retaining metal rings sheared off after he clamped something, he may have applied too much force.

mike stenson
11-06-2020, 1:19 PM
On the Workbench Builders FB group someone posted that his vise, like the one in the video, failed. Some retaining metal rings sheared off after he clamped something, he may have applied too much force.

I can see that being possible due to gear multiplication of torque.

Jim Koepke
11-06-2020, 2:00 PM
The tops are solid slabs, not laminated. Matt sawed them and they were dried in a vacuum kiln. Him and the gentleman with the kiln are investigating if there is a workbench market for the dried slabs.

In my neck of the woods there is an entrepreneur doing business as "Bob's Big Boards." > https://bobsbigboards.com < Click on the gallery for some great images.

He has a laser engraver and a fully able shop of machines for cutting and processing big pieces. My recollection is his sander can handle up to 57" wide stock. It came from a piano maker if my memory is working. He also has a planer about as wide.

He had some large slabs on my last visit. Not sure of all the uses, but some end up as live edge counters or bars.

jtk

Rob Luter
11-06-2020, 4:52 PM
Pretty snazzy bench. I think the vises are more complicated that necessary but are very cool.

Rob Luter
11-06-2020, 4:53 PM

What is this “too much force” of which you speak?

ken hatch
11-06-2020, 5:55 PM
I will say again: Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something. A workbench is a tool, a means to an end not the end itself. That is if you want to make things other than a workbench.

ken

Rafael Herrera
11-06-2020, 5:58 PM
What is this “too much force” of which you speak?

That's what the poster described was the cause of the failure.

Michael J Evans
11-06-2020, 10:03 PM
I will say again: Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something. A workbench is a tool, a means to an end not the end itself. That is if you want to make things other than a workbench.

ken

Ken,
haven't you made like 5 bench's?

ken hatch
11-06-2020, 10:59 PM
Ken,
haven't you made like 5 bench's?

Michael,

Yep, I've made a few. Each one is usually simpler than the one before and a better bench to work on. I guess you could say I'm a slow learner. I may be nearing the end of bench building because there is little I can change to make a better bench than the last build.

ken

Michael J Evans
11-06-2020, 11:51 PM
So if a workbench is only a means to a end. Then that first bench should have filled that end and just because you could of made another bench (did) you shouldn't of?

Or do sometimes people just like to try new things?

Just poking at ya :)

Jerome Andrieux
11-07-2020, 4:55 AM
I like the steam punk vibe of this workbench. It sounds like good workmanship and very well suited to a content producer like Adam. Functional with a unique look and some extra bling.

I appreciate when those youtubers do collaborations or promotion of someone else’s work, maybe it be woodworking and blacksmithing, having different takes on a project, ...

Regarding the bench itself, my main concern would be the metal base resonating when using a saw, a mallet.

ken hatch
11-07-2020, 6:23 AM
So if a workbench is only a means to a end. Then that first bench should have filled that end and just because you could of made another bench (did) you shouldn't of?

Or do sometimes people just like to try new things?

Just poking at ya :)

Michael,

Poke all you want :) but if you go back and read what I have posted on work bench builds (I can't imagine putting myself thru that much boredom) you would see I have repeatedly posted that first builds should be built simple, fast, and cheap. That after working on the bench expect to find things that drive you to barking at the moon. Then build another, hopefully fixing the faults of the first. Repeat as needed. For a slow learner like myself the process can take three or more tries before getting to a bench that fits your personal work flow.

The worst thing a new builder can do is read a bunch of "building a work bench" books. Instead look at photos of classic designs, think about why and how they did the build that way then build yours.

BTW, I made the mistake of reading the books and building the bench. It sucked and lasted maybe a year before my howls at the moon drove me to re-thinking the process and following my above advise. Later I needed a portable bench that would break down and fit in my motorhome. After almost a year of scratching my butt and a lot of "yes, but" I stumbled across Will Myers' video on building a portable Moravian workbench where he made a near copy of the original. After working on the portable bench I found it so stable and capable I decided to scale it up to shop sized which may be the perfect bench for me. It takes awhile to get there.

One last thing, the Moravian fits all my criteria, it is simple, cheap, and a easy fast build.

Sorry for building a clock when you asked for the time :p,

ken

Frederick Skelly
11-07-2020, 7:15 AM
Nothing against the bench (I’m sure it’s useful for some people, just not for me), but frankly I found Adam Savage to be so annoying that I stopped the video after 7 minutes.

I dont know who Adam Savage is, but I found him annoying too. Way too much "staged excitement" for me. It was like going to the zoo with your first grade teacher - "Ooooh, look at the giraffe children, doesn't he have a long neck?" I had to shut it off after I saw the basic functionality of the bench.

But the bench seemed fine to me. I enjoy looking at benches and this was another variation on the theme. Thanks for posting it Michael. I liked the thick top. Nothing wrong with a metal base, though it seemed to have a small footprint for those long overhangs. (I didnt watch long enough to see him demonstrate it's stability during heavy planing.) The vises were sure purty, if not my cup of tea. But I've gotta agree with Steve Newman - this might be very functional for the work Savage does.

Ken, I kept wondering how he'd react to using one of YOUR magnificent benches. Guy would probably get so excited he'd have a heart attack. So I think a fly off is in order here! You should drop him a line and offer one. That would be very cool.

YMMV
Fred

William Fretwell
11-07-2020, 7:34 AM
The worst thing a new builder can do is read a bunch of "building a work bench" books. Instead look at photos of classic designs, think about why and how they did the build that way then build yours.

ken[/QUOTE]

Great advice Ken.

Michael J Evans
11-07-2020, 2:13 PM

Sorry for building a clock when you asked for the time :p,

ken

I much prefer the sundial... the clock is way to complicated 😉

What worked for me when I built my bench, was to force myself to sit down and draw a plan. I hate drawing but when I finally drew out the bench I realized all I had was 4 mortises and two half laps. Drawing it for some reason gave me the confidence to build it. My bench was my first hand tool project. I still find that drawing anything even if it's a quick sketch, gives me the motivation to just do it.

ken hatch
11-07-2020, 7:58 PM
I dont know who Adam Savage is, but I found him annoying too. Way too much "staged excitement" for me. It was like going to the zoo with your first grade teacher - "Ooooh, look at the giraffe children, doesn't he have a long neck?" I had to shut it off after I saw the basic functionality of the bench.

But the bench seemed fine to me. I enjoy looking at benches and this was another variation on the theme. Thanks for posting it Michael. I liked the thick top. Nothing wrong with a metal base, though it seemed to have a small footprint for those long overhangs. (I didnt watch long enough to see him demonstrate it's stability during heavy planing.) The vises were sure purty, if not my cup of tea. But I've gotta agree with Steve Newman - this might be very functional for the work Savage does.

Ken, I kept wondering how he'd react to using one of YOUR magnificent benches. Guy would probably get so excited he'd have a heart attack. So I think a fly off is in order here! You should drop him a line and offer one. That would be very cool.

YMMV
Fred

Fred,

LMAO. Thanks but I expect he would not like it, not enough Bing for YouTube.

ken

ken hatch
11-07-2020, 7:58 PM

ken

Great advice Ken.[/QUOTE]

Thanks William,

ken

Andrew Seemann
11-09-2020, 5:12 PM
Actually, for Adam, that was pretty subdued. It isn't made for TV enthusiasm, that is his actual personality. It was part of the reason Mythbusters was so successful, both as a show, and for getting a new generation of kids into science and engineering, including mine:)

For those not familiar with Mr. Savage, he isn't a woodworker in the way that most of us are; for us, wood is and end in and of itself, for him wood is just a material (like any other) used to create an object. His background is special effects and model making. He worked at Industrial Light and Magic as a model maker, and his work can be seen in the Star Wars prequels. On Mythbusters he built everything from remote controlled police cars (actual full sized cars) to a pretty cool Ming style chair hooked to rockets to a balloon made of lead foil. If you are ever in a serious jam (sinking ship, stranded in the desert, etc), and Adam Savage shows up with a case of duct tape, you can consider yourself saved:)

As far as using the bench, Adam isn't going to be hand dimensioning rough timber and four squaring it. He would more likely be using the bench to work on the various models and things that he builds for his One-Day-Builds. For that the goofy vises and hold downs are likely ideal, and the short length matches the scale of his San Francisco workshop and isn't a disadvantage to someone that likely won't be doing a lot of long hand planing on big surfaces.

Frederick Skelly
11-09-2020, 7:26 PM
Actually, for Adam, that was pretty subdued. It isn't made for TV enthusiasm, that is his actual personality. It was part of the reason Mythbusters was so successful, both as a show, and for getting a new generation of kids into science and engineering, including mine:)

For those not familiar with Mr. Savage, he isn't a woodworker in the way that most of us are; for us, wood is and end in and of itself, for him wood is just a material (like any other) used to create an object. His background is special effects and model making. He worked at Industrial Light and Magic as a model maker, and his work can be seen in the Star Wars prequels. On Mythbusters he built everything from remote controlled police cars (actual full sized cars) to a pretty cool Ming style chair hooked to rockets to a balloon made of lead foil. If you are ever in a serious jam (sinking ship, stranded in the desert, etc), and Adam Savage shows up with a case of duct tape, you can consider yourself saved:)

As far as using the bench, Adam isn't going to be hand dimensioning rough timber and four squaring it. He would more likely be using the bench to work on the various models and things that he builds for his One-Day-Builds. For that the goofy vises and hold downs are likely ideal, and the short length matches the scale of his San Francisco workshop and isn't a disadvantage to someone that likely won't be doing a lot of long hand planing on big surfaces.

Good stuff Andrew. Thanks for filling in the blanks for me - I didnt know any of that. If Savage was with IL&M, he has serious "make stuff" chops for sure. More than I do.

(His enthusiasm would drive me bat-crap crazy. So I probably won't seek out more of his vids. But that doesnt take away from his apparent skill.)

Fred

Michael J Evans
11-09-2020, 8:56 PM
Yes they do some very cool stuff on myth busters. Thanks for filling everyone in Andrew. I just assumed everyone would know.

Stew Denton
11-09-2020, 11:53 PM
I thought a little more about the bench, and then realized, if Adam like it (which he obviously does,) and it is a good bench for his particular needs, then it is a great bench for him.

Again, like some above, it would not be what I would want, but as the old saying goes "he who pays the piper calls the tune." I am happy for Adam.

Stew

chris carter
11-10-2020, 9:25 AM
Assuming a bench has a solid build, I think there are only three things that a bench must do to be great for the user.
1) Allow you to work the way you want to work.
2) Allow you to build the things you want to build.
3) Inspire you to make stuff.

Those three things will be different for every person – particularly #3.