PDA

View Full Version : "higher quality" piano hinge?

David Zaret
11-04-2020, 6:32 PM
i have to build a custom "craft station" with a fold-down large work surface. does anyone make a thicker, higher-quality piano hinge, or corollary long, continuous hinge? historically, the ones i've used are so thin that the screws barely hold. any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

--- dz

James Dempsey
11-04-2020, 6:47 PM
What size are you looking for? Mortised or surface mounted?

David Zaret
11-04-2020, 7:00 PM
i think surface mounted is fine. i'll need something 5'+ long. ideally a dark finish, as it'll be on walnut, but i can cope with anything. thanks.

Jim Becker
11-04-2020, 7:36 PM
Lee Valley has these .040" thick steel hinges available but no dark color and not the length you ask for:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/hardware/hinges/piano/62166-steel-piano-hinges

Googling "Heavy Piano Hinge" comes up with a bunch of clues...perhaps you can find something longer and heavier that way. The black ones I buy for my tack trunks from the folks who I get road case type gear are thiner material but adequate for what I do.

Ronald Blue
11-04-2020, 9:17 PM
Not sure what you are looking for but here are some possibilities. They have other's as well. An extremely good source for lot's of different things.

mcmaster.com/hinges/piano-hinges-with-holes/

David Zaret
11-04-2020, 10:06 PM
McMaster is a good call. thanks.

the client just asked me if i can use Soss concealed hinges instead of the piano hinge... but mounted horizontally for a "fold-down" application. picture a large drop-down, edge-mount work surface that hinges down to 90 degrees, then folds up. do you think a Soss could be mounted horizontally?

-- dz

Drew Bernat
11-04-2020, 10:27 PM
I’m about to try the Soss hinges for a drop leaf. I can tell you how it works out.

David Zaret
11-05-2020, 12:09 AM
great - thanks drew. much appreciated.

I’m about to try the Soss hinges for a drop leaf. I can tell you how it works out.

James Dempsey
11-05-2020, 7:48 AM
Larsen and Shaw make excellent hinges, McMaster Carr carries them.
Architectural Builders Hardware makes pin and barrel hinges but they are a little too large for you application.

Warren Lake
11-05-2020, 12:02 PM
bought heavy duty from these guys in the past, they had many heavy duty piano hinges. Think their main market was truck bodies.